Jan 8, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help please can't decide what machine to get

Hi guys

I'm new to all this I have been out with my friends garrett ace 250 and I want a detector of my own moneys tight at the moment so I was thinking about getting the whites coinmaster or garrett ace 150 but I'm not sure which one can someone advise me on which one I should get?

thanks
Shaun

Upvote 0

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaun,Having owned or operated most detectors, I would go with any NEW Tesoro that you can afford. (a used one doesn't have the warranty)Not only do they make good detectors, but they are simple to operate, plus the lifetime warranty.Whatever Tesoro you may buy, you'll always want to keep it if and when you upgrade.I still presently own a Silver Umax and a Vaquero, and I have found a lot of relics, jewelry, coins and even gold nuggets with them both.Anything above the price of the these Tesoros would be in the $1,000 + range.Good luck in your decisionKen

Don't start off with a detector that is missing alot of great features (unless it's a Compadre). The F series by Fisher are a blast & have some great coils to choose from to make it even better. Tesoro has a lifetime warranty, (Fisher is 5 years) but they are very "low tech" with a SINGLE tone & they can leave you wanting more information regarding target conductivity, depth, pinpointing target, etc... It is a beep with no other information about the target. I really preferred using my F2 over my Vaquero, it was just more trustworthy having the multiple tones IMO. I really like my X-Terra 505, it is like have 3 detectors in one, as a coil change also can change to one of 3 available frequencies!

Last edited:

ZeN

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get swept away with detector wars. It's not what you use, but how you use it. If you want one that's simple to use and has all the bells and whistles (e.g. relics mode, coins mode, etc), it's hard to beat the ace 250 for price and durability. If it's good enough for the pros to use, it's good enough for us amateurs. Keep it simple and just dig. Go see Bart and he will hook you up with a good machine.

OP
OP
BigH112

BigH112

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your help guys I managed to get a really good deal on a ace 250 it's the best I can afford at the moment so hopefully I can get some good finds with it to share with you all thanks again for you replies

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie Garrett makes a good, honest detector. Nothing wrong with the Ace 250.

Clear yourself a patch in the yard by detecting it carefully to remove any signals/targets and the bury a few coins at known depths. Like 6", 8" and 12". Mark them with golf tees or similar. Then pratice detecting those coins under different conditions and settings. It will help you get to know your detector. Even better also try burying a coin under a nail and a bottle-cap and pull tab or two. (Make sure you draw up a map of what is where!)

And set no notches and dig EVERYTHING for the first few years. That teaches you what the detector is telling you and whet various targets soud like. Keep a simple log book of finds.

Guaranteed a person that knows the Ace 250 in and out will outperform a chucklehead who buys the flagship of a brand but has no idea how to operate it effectively.

OP
OP
BigH112

BigH112

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will do :) Thanks for the advice Charlie I'll let you know how I get on with it

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I tried them both side-by-side, and the Ace 250 is junk compared to a Tesoro Compadre.

OP
OP
BigH112

BigH112

Tenderfoot
Jan 8, 2015
Kirkcaldy
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my ace 250 arrived today :D it seems to be working fine easy to work it'll do for what I'm using it for I'll get a proper test done at the weekend

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the hobby.
I've never used a 250 but my very similar 350 was a coin slayer.
Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread