Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my problem. I have an ATPro with special Garett plug in, Land head phones are ok,. Have a Fisher F-75 SE. The headphones cord is to short and when I lay my machine down to dig is yanks them off me head. I have several modified pairs like this.
My question is if I bought say a good pair of Grey Ghost or Garrett a water proof set could I modify the cord with plug ins to work with both machines? I know on my harley I have some harnesses that work like that with dual plugs. Would water affect the connection or does anyone else have any solutions to make a water proof set of head phones that will work with both Fisher (stereo adapter and garrett special plug)
Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the grey ghost water proof Azt pro headphones and wish I had bought the regular ones so I could use them with the adapter for the AT and other machines. Wasn't thinking. I like the GG amphibians but to have them specialized for one machine cuts down the usage. If I had bought the ones with the stereo plug I could have used heat shrink tubed to waterproof the connections.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Tnmountains, you would need to cut off the waterproof garrett style connector and solder on a regular headphone jack. There is no other way to do it without cutting the cord unless you could somehow find a female garret style socket, which you would solder to a regular headphone jack. I feel your pain.

View attachment GARRET3.pdf

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one of the reasons i got rid of all my AT Pro detectors the plug connectors .. But there were other reasons also..I did not fall in love with the AT like most did and i have used garrets for over 30 years ..

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cut off the plug? What? There's an adaptor

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use wireless headphones with 2 different size adapters for head phone jack.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me Gleaner I do not have a problem cutting the wires. The make a mm/ff adapter at radio shack it will just not be waterproof . I have thought of wireless Papalittle or blue tooth but have heard the beep is not always over the target. What system did you choose?
I swear I can not be the only one struggling with all these head phone issues. If I had just one machine no problem. I do not think there is an answer except spend more money!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Would water affect the connection or does anyone else have any solutions to make a water proof set of head phones that will work with both Fisher (stereo adapter and garrett special plug)
Thanks guys!

Yes, water will affect the stereo plug.

I might suggest the Skullies (My water proof speakered head phones) with a CTX WP connector or even the GGA's with the CTX connector...if you decide to go that way.

I really don't think you would be happy with the GGA's on the F75, maybe I can hook you up with some type of adaptor or maybe some skullies.

I have made several water proof adaptors for many different detectors, it is just a matter of matching all up to what you need

A few adaptors I have made from the Garrets, CTX, JW Fisher, Excalibur, and a regular stereo plug. The Grey Skullis and a set of CTX waterproof ear buds

OBN0207.jpg OBN0152.jpg
OBN0354.jpg
OBN0352.jpg
OBN0223.jpg OBN0083.jpg
OBN0353.jpg OBN0032.jpg

OBN0239 (2).jpg

Give me a few weeks, I am totally backed up, plus I need a fix..(hunt soon) and maybe I can figure out a easy setup..

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Was thinking about your need....
Questions what headphones do you use now? And are you planning on going under water at all. It maybe just a simple fix in using the set of head phones you have now and getting a water proof adaptor to adapt them to the AT Pro...Like the one show and I can make the cord long enough where you can tuck the stereo plug into your waders or tie wrapped to the headphones out of waters way.

OBN0353.jpg

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sir blow away what little electronics skills I have. I was unaware all the adapters that were available. I understand I am hunting land right now my season has started as well. I will ponder my options and get back with you maybe for some help.

Yes, water will affect the stereo plug.

I might suggest the Skullies (My water proof speakered head phones) with a CTX WP connector or even the GGA's with the CTX connector...if you decide to go that way.

I really don't think you would be happy with the GGA's on the F75, maybe I can hook you up with some type of adaptor or maybe some skullies.

I have made several water proof adaptors for many different detectors, it is just a matter of matching all up to what you need

A few adaptors I have made from the Garrets, CTX, JW Fisher, Excalibur, and a regular stereo plug. The Grey Skullis and a set of CTX waterproof ear buds

View attachment 1105290 View attachment 1105289
View attachment 1105295
View attachment 1105293
View attachment 1105291 View attachment 1105288
View attachment 1105294 View attachment 1105287

View attachment 1105292

Give me a few weeks, I am totally backed up, plus I need a fix..(hunt soon) and maybe I can figure out a easy setup..

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the ATPro I hunt in creeks. I have been doing so with out headphones though. The noise does not bother me as no one is ever around or rare I see anyone in my adventures. It will be a little bit as it a little chilly yet and flooded. I use shoe goo on my pro pointer for underwater and not to comfortable with plastic. I get wet just ask my old ruined iPhone haha

Was thinking about your need....
Questions what headphones do you use now? And are you planning on going under water at all. It maybe just a simple fix in using the set of head phones you have now and getting a water proof adaptor to adapt them to the AT Pro...Like the one show and I can make the cord long enough where you can tuck the stereo plug into your waders or tie wrapped to the headphones out of waters way.

View attachment 1105314

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice engineering!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Cut off the plug? What? There's an adaptor

badger, I dont think you understand Tn's quandry. The adapter from garrett is the wrong sex to do what Tnmountains wants to do. He needs to fashion a custom adapter cord with a female garrett waterproof socket on the phone side and a regular 1/4" male phone jack on the brainbox side to get it to plug into a F75, if he does not wish to cut the phone cord on his nice expensive waterproof garrett style phones. As far as I know, a female waterproof garrett style phone socket is not available commercially, there is no need for it really. If it was available, you could make a custom adapter cord and you would not have to cut your expensive waterproof phone cord, you could make a custom cord as outlined in my crappy graphic posted earlier.

If Tn wants, he can easily cut off the male waterproof phone plug from his expensive waterproof phones and solder on a regular 1/4 male stereo jack, and then it will plug into his F75, but it wont plug into a waterproof garrett like atpro anymore, and the connection wont take a dive in the drink anymore. He would have to buy a regular garrett phone adapter cord with the male waterproof socket on the brainbox side and the regular female 1/4" stereo socket on the phone side to get the modified phones to fit back on a waterproof garrett brainbox. Then he is a very happy tecter dude. Since F75's and regular phone jacks are not waterproof, you probably wont want to swim with it, the only advantage to all this is that you would be able to use the phones in the rain without worrying about water destroying the crappy paper speakers in regular phones. Got it??

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'm just not getting it but they do make an adaptor that has the stupid AT pro connector that goes to the box but has a female end you can connect any stereo 1/4 jack plug into. As far as making it waterproof a simple slip sleeve heat shrink will work on it if you were to have any of the 1/4 stereo plug headphones. That to me is what he was talking about, if I'm wrong ok. The adaptor you can buy off amazon for $35.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I'm just not getting it but they do make an adaptor that has the stupid AT pro connector that goes to the box but has a female end you can connect any stereo 1/4 jack plug into. As far as making it waterproof a simple slip sleeve heat shrink will work on it if you were to have any of the 1/4 stereo plug headphones. That to me is what he was talking about, if I'm wrong ok. The adaptor you can buy off amazon for $35.

Yer not getting it. Think about it this way: Tnmountain's waterproof grey ghosts and garrett waterproof headsets have stupid Garrett style waterproof plugs, not 1/4 inch stereo jack plugs. Mkay? They have the stupid garrett style male waterproof plug, so he cant plug 'em into regular tecters with 1/4" headphone sockets, like his F machine. The garrett adapter cord wont do jack squat for Tn. Furthermore, the stupid garrett waterproof connector is a rock solid proven design that has been used by garrett forever. Also, heat shrink sleeves are not remotely waterproof, just try it in the salty sea some day. Tnmountain's quandry has zero to do with waterproofyness, and everything to do with being able to plug his waterproof phones into a F75, which is easy, if he just cuts the cord. Or makes an adapter cable somehow if he can locate a female garrett style connecter (see crappy graphic posted earlier again). But that is not going to happen, because a female waterproof garrett phone socket is not commercially available for this application, so he has to cut the cord and solder on a male 1/4 jack, which will never be waterproof. But at least it will work.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I see now what the issue was and was way off base. Also they do make a certain heat shrink tube that is waterproof because we use them for marine applications and they have no leaking issues, just not the typical go to RadioShack or home depot brand. Thanks for clearing that up though I just wasn't understanding the problem, that's what I get for posting in middle of the night with insomnia.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes no problem its very confusing. And you are correct, they do have a heat shrink product that has a waterproof gel on the inside and that stuff is good for submersion. So, Tn can do what he wants to do, but he could never submerge his atpro into the water because now he has a regular 1/4 inch stereo jack on his phones, and that jack cannot be heat shrinked onto the garrett adapter cable because if he does that, he would not be able to unplug it and plug it into his F. If I was Tn, I would just forget the whole idea and do what I did:

1. accept the fact that atpro stock land phones are junk and not use them. Or he can stretch the crap out of the coil cable, that works to make it longer.
2. buy a good set of dry detector phones like sunray pro golds.
3. buy a waterproof set of atpro phones from garrett or grey ghost.
4. buy the garrett adapter cable.

He can skip number 3 if he unsolders the waterproof cable out of the crappy atpro stock phones and re-solders it into an old set of waterproof phones, I did that with an old CZ20 headphones I had laying around. But its tricky, you have to use a approx 15 ohm resister to make it work and you have to slather all the solder joints with RTV. The resistor is needed to "cut out" the brain box speaker on atpro.

poorboy

May 18, 2009
Headphones

Here is my problem. I have an ATPro with special Garett plug in, Land head phones are ok,. Have a Fisher F-75 SE. The headphones cord is to short and when I lay my machine down to dig is yanks them off me head. I have several modified pairs like this.
My question is if I bought say a good pair of Grey Ghost or Garrett a water proof set could I modify the cord with plug ins to work with both machines? I know on my harley I have some harnesses that work like that with dual plugs. Would water affect the connection or does anyone else have any solutions to make a water proof set of head phones that will work with both Fisher (stereo adapter and garrett special plug)
Thanks guys!

Tnmountians

Had the same problem with short headphone cable.
I took a short (less than a foot) small s/s cable and hook one end to my belt loop and the other end to the armrest on my machine.
Now when a need to dig I just let go of my machine and it hang at my side as I dig.
Sorry I can't help with the water proofing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread