Purchasing a detector for CT

johnny_5

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2015
connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey all just starting out. I have been researching sites here in CT and am excited to get started once the weather breaks but im still in need of actually purchasing a metal detector. Money is tight now, but if need be I do have sometime to save up. Im looking to spend in the 250$ range and am looking for some advice on what is a good beginner unit that is easy to operate and understand. I will be mostly hunting wooded areas and fields looking coins and relics. Any and all advice would be great.

Thanks
Johnny_5

Upvote 0

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Johnny, Im new myself. I got a Fisher F2 for christmas and love it. I have nothing to compare it too but it is very easy to use. You can get one brand new for 199. I posted a question just like you did and got all kinds of good info from ppl on here. You could go back and look at it. I think you just click on my profile and you will be able to find my question with all the answers. Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I don't know much but will help you with anything I can.

jeff

OP
OP
J

johnny_5

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2015
connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeftak, thanks for the info! Was it purchased online or in store? Id love to be able to handle one before I pulled the trigger and purchased it. I will look into the model. Have you used it yet?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Johnny 5,

A Garrett Ace 250 may be a good solution for you. The cost is $ 250 dollars and some online dealers throw in some extra goodies in the deal.

Regards,

jefatk

Dec 6, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased it online. I did a lot of reaserch and talked to a lot of people on here before I bought it. If you click on my profile Jefatk, then hit view profile, then latest thread, or something like that you will see my question for best metal detector for first time buyer. Theres a lot of info on that thread that should help you. I have used it in my back yard and at a few family members places so far. I live in Ohio so I have only had a few chances to get out since christmas because of the weather. I haven't found anything special or valuable but have had a lot of fun just digging up anything. I found about 50 or 60 cents in change with a few being wheat pennies. I learn something new every time I go and am getting better the more I use it.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Johnny, there is a new in box Garrett Ace 350 for sale on craigslist in Carmel, N.Y. Carmel is about 45 minutes from Danbury. Call Rudy, the owner at 845-225-7202, I'd do it soon, the ad just came on yesterday. I see you missed the AT Pro in West Haven, which at $350 was a bargain. 350 will out perform the F2.
OOPS, forgot to say he's asking $285.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget a pin pointer. When I first started, I had the machine, but no pin pointer... believe me, you NEED a pin pointer. Garrett's is the one most of us use... $127.00.

As for the machine, I started with Bounty Hunter ($200), 3 months later AT Pro ($600) 3 months later XP Deus ($1500). I know what you mean about money being tight... it really gets tight when you do not spend the correct amount the first time, and have to keep going back with more and more money! This is just food for thought.

I wish you the best of luck in the hobby. If there is anything that I can do for you, just PM me. GL&HH!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teknetics Eurotek Pro would be another unit to look at. Read reviews and watch videos to compare audio sounds and features. No comparison between the ace's and the ETP other than price.

bennitto340

Feb 20, 2013
upstate NY
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D
ETP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is starting to feel like déjà-vous lol. EUROTEK PRO. Best machine for the money PEROID. I will recommend this detector all day! It's great. Forget the treasure ace..... Friend of mine with one is always asking to use the ETP when I'm swinging my CZ3D. And my other buddy is thinking about selling his CZ to get a ETP because he had so much fun with mine

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look at the simpler Teknetics models like eurotek or delta. My first was a BH Platinum at $300 online at metaldetector.com
I like it a lot and found a huge amount with it-some of my best finds.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the F2. At one time the Ace 250 was the lowest priced starter detector that offered nice features at a low cost. But the numeric ID of the F2 along with the 2 coil deal for the same price as an Ace 250, surpasses the Ace as the best starter machine, IMO. After all, if you upgrade, wouldn't you rather already be versed in the numeric system since most likely the better units use them? Plus the recovery rate of the Aces are second best to the F2 (at least for me).

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VDI is nice, but hard to get for your money look on Ebay right now you can get a T 4000 for about 130.00 great machine to begin with although I am partial to Garrett

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions