Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With my Zillow app, I've dated many of the homes on my street to the 20's, 30's, and 40's. I haven't been much for asking for permission, but I think I'm going to man up and try it out. I'm sure it will get easier as I go. What would be the standard in dividing the finds? Basically, what would you say? What would you ask for? I think this thought is the most uncomfortable part of the whole thing. "Hey can I keep half of what I find?"
"Hey can I keep all this silver I found in your yard?"
"Hey can I keep this gold coin I found in your yard?"
I wouldn't even know how to get that part of the conversation rolling. Obviously it seems like something that would have to be agreed upon before starting.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not offer to give anything to the property owner up front. Just ask to search the property and if they bring a split up you can go from there. If you find a gold coin it's up to you if you tell them about it but then don't count on any split.:laughing7:

Remember the land was there way before any homes so no telling what's there.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't hunt private property without asking first, you can tell them you will remove all the junk nails glass etc that you find. I wouldn't say anything about gold or silver etc... Like sandman said if they ask about splitting then the subject was brought up by homeowner not you. Just tell them you enjoy the thrill of the hunt....

I have had people open my gate to access lake behind my house, they didn't ask permission first so I ordered them off my property, asking after the fact is too late as far as I am concerned....

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be polite and when you ask, do not use the terms "treasure" nor "dig".

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would not offer to give anything to the property owner up front. Just ask to search the property and if they bring a split up you can go from there. If you find a gold coin it's up to you if you tell them about it but then don't count on any split.:laughing7:

Remember the land was there way before any homes so no telling what's there.

I agree. It may be nice to ask them if there is anything they have lost in the yard they can describe in case you come across it you can get it back to them. Not sure if thats standard, but if they have been living there a long time, there may be something they have lost, and so long as they give a good description, maybe you can help them and help yourself at the same time.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always minimize my expectations with a permission... I tell the homeowner that I love to find old wheat pennies and buffalo nickels...The older folks will easily relate to those, and figure that since these were in circulation not so long ago, these potential finds wont be worth much to them....yea yea, you can be a good doobie an bring up the "did you ever lose a .....".. but chances are if they ever lost anything, they will tell you about it up front, rather than you jogging their memory. As far as splitting finds? I have never volunteered to, nor have I ever obliged... the couple of "Richards" who wanted me to split the profits from their lawn, were offered to pay for half of my equipment, they haven't yet.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. It may be nice to ask them if there is anything they have lost in the yard they can describe in case you come across it you can get it back to them. Not sure if thats standard, but if they have been living there a long time, there may be something they have lost, and so long as they give a good description, maybe you can help them and help yourself at the same time.
Part of my approach is to offer for free a search of anything specific they may have lost on their property. I don't mention any treasure, coins, or jewelry. The "D" word (dig) doesn't get mentioned either unless they bring it up. I tell them I just use standard gardening tools to make recoveries. I like to stress that I like to find artifacts to be donated to museums, and will donate it in their name if they like. Very rarely would a museum want what you found, so that would not likely be an issue if you hope to keep relics.. Knowing a bit about the local history can help start the conversation. When you get permission to hunt a property and have a relationship with it's owner, ask them if they know someone else (like a friend, relative, or neighbor) who might be receptive to having their property searched too. If you're responsible, honest, and friendly, it can open all kinds of doors in the future.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
We don't bring up a split unless asked specifically. If pressed, I offer to pay them for what I find, I'd rather give them $1.60 for a Merc, than to give them the Merc itself. We also stress that we will remove all trash and leave no trace. Never say "dig" or "hole" either. We also mention that if we find anything of value to the family (ie: something with their name on it.. or a ring grandmother lost years ago) it would be returned. Some people are cool and some people just aren't. It's a crap shoot. GL&HH!

OP
OP
Jesse James

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm very much appreciating the input guys! I think I will help a lot.

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What has worked very well for me when asking permission to walk fields for Native American artifacts and to metal detect is this-the first words out of my mouth are "Sorry to bother you..." People form opinions of strangers, especially those who ring their doorbell within a matter of seconds. By being polite and apologetic from the word go usually at least gives you a chance to tell them what you want before they decide to say no, or worse to tell you to get lost. Always be nice, joke around a little and let them know that they are in charge. I also tell them that I would never trespass on anyone's property, and that is why I rang their doorbell. I've had very good success with this approach.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Especially stress the no trespassing part. I stopped at a property that had a house from the early 1800s and asked for permission to hunt. The house wasn't even lived in. The owner politely said no, so I said o.k. and thanks for your time talking to me. The next day I drove by the property and there were at least 10 no trespassing signs. In my book, if I'm told no, that's it, I don't need signs also.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give them a copy of an old map showing their place at turn of the century. Tell them it is your hobby and you will be glad to show them any findings. Ideally you are looking for an older owner that might just want some conversation of mutual interest.....his property.

Recently I pulled 6 silvers from a small area. The owner had no idea what was there and thanked me for showing him. He asked me to find a couple property stakes and we did. He used a cane and luck would have it I found a pewter cane head which I gave to him as he said he would want to clean it up and possibly use it! When I was showing him how to use the equipment I got a silver hit outside his back door and sure enough, a merc dime. I gave it to him as a souvenir.

When I was done after 5 outings he looked disappointed because he said "I guess you are done". He made a call to his neighbor for me. That lot gave up a walking half and dozens of match book cars.

While doing that lot the next neighbor was raking leaves. I waited until he was taking a break and went over to talk to him. Now I have that one to do. All of these were stone foundation houses on a couple acres.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've yet to up front ask an owner to split what I find and usually downplay visions of grandeur and lost treasure and focus more on the age of the neighborhood. My husband and I hunt for Civil War relics mainly and a lot of times they are in neighborhoods. We like to approach the homeowners and ask them f they know the history of what went on and most often either their yards have been hunted previously and we are told that we probably won't find much or they are new to tne neighborhood and fascinated with the history aspect and glad for us to look. I think the casual approach works best for getting permission.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good on you tcornel....the old guy was probably looking forward to your each and every visit!! I think you made a friend for life!!:thumbsup:
I give them a copy of an old map showing their place at turn of the century. Tell them it is your hobby and you will be glad to show them any findings. Ideally you are looking for an older owner that might just want some conversation of mutual interest.....his property.

Recently I pulled 6 silvers from a small area. The owner had no idea what was there and thanked me for showing him. He asked me to find a couple property stakes and we did. He used a cane and luck would have it I found a pewter cane head which I gave to him as he said he would want to clean it up and possibly use it! When I was showing him how to use the equipment I got a silver hit outside his back door and sure enough, a merc dime. I gave it to him as a souvenir.

When I was done after 5 outings he looked disappointed because he said "I guess you are done". He made a call to his neighbor for me. That lot gave up a walking half and dozens of match book cars.

While doing that lot the next neighbor was raking leaves. I waited until he was taking a break and went over to talk to him. Now I have that one to do. All of these were stone foundation houses on a couple acres.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jesse, you say those homes are on your street?
If so you already have half a foot in the door, casually stop and chat with them some time and tell them about you detecting on your property, have you found any old coins on your property?
You know old IH's or merc's. if so you can drop that into the conversation and ask them if perhaps you could come and hunt some on their property.

Definitely what Sand, TH'r and the rest have suggested also, never offer a split its always more gratifying to go back afterwards to the home owner and hand them a coin or two and say thank you for letting me hunt, I found these and wanted you to have them. That will go along way to opening more doors for you.

Best of luck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TroutBumDave please treat all members with respect. ..

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
I find that most people don't really expect we will find anything of substantial value, so it's not like landowners are hoarding their buried treasures. My offers to split anything of value is almost always met with a (skeptical) smile. Living close to Lake Erie, I sometimes pack a cooler of inducements in the form of frozen perch or walleye :) - that works sometimes!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually mention up front that I am looking for older coins. Any jewelry or personal items found would be theirs.

Usually its either yes or no at that point.

If they say "everything in the yard is already mine" I grin and say "Aren't you curious to know what it is and where it might be?" That opens more discussion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread