Anyone Hit the Old Slums of Rockaway, NY?

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
according to this article, it was nice houses and stuff. Then it turned into a slum, the city plowed everything now it looks like this
slums.jpg
grassy, sandy, and woody. Ive google the crap out of the area, looks like you can still see the sidewalks a bit. Im thinking of hitting it when the weather warms up, anyone else interested?

Upvote 0

Bigmike2334

Nov 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great area to hunt especially that erosion line!!

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably seen many coils over the years but definitely worth a look. Bring friends & firepower. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Are you planning on hitting the fields where the houses stood or the beach? I was at a stretch of that beach a year ago while it was being resanded. It was clean as a whistle where I was. Not even trash! Nada!
Don't know about the section you're showing.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009

That looks like a toy. Here in the city we use machetes with teeth cut along one side. 😉

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like a toy. Here in the city we use machetes with teeth cut along one side. ��

Sure you do...
Still a toy?

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Im thinking about the sections further away from the beach, maybe a few feet or yards from the sidewalks. Kind of have to stand on the street and picture where a house would be and work from there... Thinking about starting betwee Beach 35th and 34th ST... Woods usually mean its a good spot to start, and i can dig anyway i want, long as i fill in the hole...

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This gives you a good idea what the area looked like in 1954. 444444.jpg

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell yeah!! Can ya come by and get me??:laughing7:
according to this article, it was nice houses and stuff. Then it turned into a slum, the city plowed everything now it looks like this
View attachment 1106128
grassy, sandy, and woody. Ive google the crap out of the area, looks like you can still see the sidewalks a bit. Im thinking of hitting it when the weather warms up, anyone else interested?

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hell yeah!! Can ya come by and get me??:laughing7:

Well Tc, it depends are you along the way? If I do make this trip, I'm going to take the beltpkwy, from exit 1 area heading east torwards JFK airport.. If it's not too much of a hassle, yeah sure I can swing by pick you up and we can check that area out. In the near future of course.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that a school there in the upper left hand corner?? Can ya zoom in on it?? Are those school buses parked out front??

yes, that school is the only building still standing today.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! That was a helluva story!! A little long....but still a great article!! That looks like Indin country....be sure and take someone with ya!! Looks like a great place to detect, but be careful!! Thanks for the article!!:thumbsup:
View attachment 1106128

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I sure wished I lived closer!! That looks like a GREAT place to MD!! Keep us posted with some pics of your finds!! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread