HaaCha

Greenie
Jan 3, 2015
Walterboro, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first metal detector this past Christmas, always wanted one. I'm always poking around looking to find things, and now I can do it underground. So instead of heading straight to the parks and digging I figured I'd start in my back yard and learn how it works. So dog and I head out the back porch, MD in hand, to practice digging plugs, learning the quirks of the machine (I'm an electronics tech, I know there is always a quirk with every machine) and practicing my Indiana Jones pose because I was certain I would find the Ark of the Covenant in my back yard (BTW, you cannot hire an Egyptian digging crew in the middle of South Carolina). Now my yard looks like the beaches of Normandy. I found 3 pennies (1963-D, 2008, 2000), a few nails, 4 pieces of a child's tea set (aluminum, circa 1950's?), 2 shotgun shells (one blank, the other Winchester Ranger No 16 1964-1968) and an underground garbage can. I haven't pulled the can yet, I'm pretty much going to re-bury and mark the spot.

This brings up a few questions. The division I live in is fairly new, established in the early 2000's. Through Google Earth, the plot I live on wasn't developed until 2006. In 1994 the plot was empty. Because of the tea set and the can we're guessing there was a home here long before that. What I'm trying to figure out is where to go for a map of the property lines and maybe the houses orientation, trying to figure out where my plot stands in relation to the old house.

Secondly, what resources would you recommend to learn how to clean and restore/preserve finds. I have no idea how to clean old aluminum without damaging it further. Finding stuff is one thing, no clue on what to do with it afterwards lol.

As for digging, the soil around my house is real sandy with LOTS of roots. Any plug I dig is getting pulled apart by them before I get it out of the ground. Any tips on a technique to handle that?

And last, I've grown to see the need of a pinpointer. I'm thinking the Garrett or the new Garrett ATX when it's released. Who would ya'll recommend as a dealer, besides Kelly Co? The MD came from there and there were issues with the process. I'd just like to know options.

Thanks for putting up with the stupid questions!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! If your yard looks like "the beaches of Normandy", you haven't learned the proper method of making a recovery yet. You may want to check out a few videos on the subject before you hit public property. Soil conditions can determine which method will work the best. There are web sites where you can get an aerial view of your property from years gone by. That might help you determine what the land was used for in the past. There is a whole section here on Tnet about cleaning and preserving finds. A pin pointer is a very useful tool in making a clean recovery. Check with Bart's Big Boy Hobbies and others who are sponsors on here for quotes and info.

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
Try to find a metal detecting club nearby. Go to the meetings and club hunts. The guys in the club will get you going in no time at all. Read the manual for the metal detector, read it again and again. Go to YouTube and do a search on 'metal detector'. Watch as many videos as possible. Ask on this forum if there are anyone near you that you could hook up with. Whever you go, wherever you hunt, cover your holes! Have fun!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey we've all been the FNG at one time or another! Welcome aboard!

Try using Historicaerials.com to look at your area back over the years. The "slide" feature is very helpful at comparing 2 years in time.
I can't remember many people preserving
any aluminum finds as those are pretty modern or most of mine are the dreaded canslaw!

I had a very similar experience with the dealer you mentioned in your opening post. I can't say enough good things about Keith at Fort Bedford.

Walt

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have ya ever thought about what might be IN that garbage can?? Back in the "old days", people dug garbage pits....a can is kind of a mystery!! I would dig it up if I owned the property....ya gotta split the treasure with me though!! :occasion14:
I got my first metal detector this past Christmas, always wanted one. I'm always poking around looking to find things, and now I can do it underground. So instead of heading straight to the parks and digging I figured I'd start in my back yard and learn how it works. So dog and I head out the back porch, MD in hand, to practice digging plugs, learning the quirks of the machine (I'm an electronics tech, I know there is always a quirk with every machine) and practicing my Indiana Jones pose because I was certain I would find the Ark of the Covenant in my back yard (BTW, you cannot hire an Egyptian digging crew in the middle of South Carolina). Now my yard looks like the beaches of Normandy. I found 3 pennies (1963-D, 2008, 2000), a few nails, 4 pieces of a child's tea set (aluminum, circa 1950's?), 2 shotgun shells (one blank, the other Winchester Ranger No 16 1964-1968) and an underground garbage can. I haven't pulled the can yet, I'm pretty much going to re-bury and mark the spot.

This brings up a few questions. The division I live in is fairly new, established in the early 2000's. Through Google Earth, the plot I live on wasn't developed until 2006. In 1994 the plot was empty. Because of the tea set and the can we're guessing there was a home here long before that. What I'm trying to figure out is where to go for a map of the property lines and maybe the houses orientation, trying to figure out where my plot stands in relation to the old house.

Secondly, what resources would you recommend to learn how to clean and restore/preserve finds. I have no idea how to clean old aluminum without damaging it further. Finding stuff is one thing, no clue on what to do with it afterwards lol.

As for digging, the soil around my house is real sandy with LOTS of roots. Any plug I dig is getting pulled apart by them before I get it out of the ground. Any tips on a technique to handle that?

And last, I've grown to see the need of a pinpointer. I'm thinking the Garrett or the new Garrett ATX when it's released. Who would ya'll recommend as a dealer, besides Kelly Co? The MD came from there and there were issues with the process. I'd just like to know options.

Thanks for putting up with the stupid questions!

OP
OP
H

HaaCha

Greenie
Jan 3, 2015
Walterboro, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been watching a lot of videos. Mainly Pondmasters. But in everyone I've seen its been nice, even park turf. What I'm dealing with is sandy soil with 2-3 inch roots right below the surface. I cut the plug and go to pull it up, and the roots tear it apart as I'm pulling. I can save the cap, so I don't leave a trace. Was just wondering if anyone has dealt with soil like that, and any tricks with it. As for the can, I have dug into it. It's just broken brick do it looks like that was sealed up intentionally.

OP
OP
H

HaaCha

Greenie
Jan 3, 2015
Walterboro, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the can I was talking about. Tone honest, at first I thought I found an old latrine. The last image is not the can but how I figured it out
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421502243.118996.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421502255.066408.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421502268.617451.jpg

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
That looks like a planter box off of old horse drawn machinery. What they put the seeds in for planting. Good luck.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HaaCha, welcome to tnet and the wonderful world of detecting. :thumbsup:

I looked at a map and I am really surprised by your soil conditions as your close to 50 miles from the coast. Sandy soil is almost impossible to plug, (cut a U shaped disc of sod and flip it over) as there is nothing except roots to hold it together. You are at one end of the extreme as hard red clay soil is at the other, its so hard its almost impossible to plug. Your soil is almost like digging at the beach, all you can do is dig it, place the roots back in the hole and recover them with the sandy soil, smooth it over and let it go. If as you say you can save the top cap, only cut it as a U shape that leaves the roots connected so the cap doesn't die off.

You can go to the city planning dept and they may have old plats showing the area you live at, even plats up to and including a hundred years ago depending on the age of the city you live in. The planning dept and or the tax dept depending on how large your town is, another idea is the state highway dept, (might require you making a trip to where ever the state highway HQ's are)as your town is right beside I95 perhaps when 95 was constructed surveys were done that are still available. Your on 17 alt so you have a lot of history around you, its not a new road by any means been around for, wow I'm not even sure how long, and before the interstate was one of the most traveled roads for North/South transportation.

A pinpointer definitely makes your life easier.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, so please do not hold back, ask away that's what Tnet is here for, to help and assist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HaaCha

Greenie
Jan 3, 2015
Walterboro, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was extremely surprised at the history around here. I moved here from a small town north of San Antonio and the last thing you would think about here is the history. Walterboro was established around 1780 as a summer retreat for plantation owners trying to escape malaria on the coast. So they started a town right next to a huge swamp. There are rumors around here of a Colonial outpost and a running skirmish somewhere north of here. Haven't been able to get a general area yet on that. There's also tons of Civil War rumors (everything from Sherman's looters to buried CSA payrolls) and to top it all off we have the airbase that the Tuskeegee Airman trained at. And I believe the location of some of the barracks are off historical site so I might be able to get in there. The highway rolled through in the 1960's and that's about the time I would place the old homesite at here. Aside from the tea set and shotgun shells, I pulled up a tube of "Stripe" toothpaste (1962) and an old cap gun out of the front yard (Hubley "Sure Shot"). The old railroad ran past here a couple of blocks over, so I'm hoping I might find some railway relics.

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet!

A word of caution - I hear the railroads can be very touchy about their properties.

The advice about visiting a club is very good - all your questions have been faced by club members in the past. There is one listed in Summerville - here's their link;

Home Page

& one in Cayce

their info;

Palmetto Relic Hunters Club

City: Cayce
Contact/Phone: 803-665-6457 Rudy Reeves [email protected]
Membership: Unknown
Comments: Meets 7pm the 2nd Tuesday of each month.

Also don't rush out to buy expensive equiptment unless of coarse you have bucks to burn. Take your time to figure out your needs. The term medal detecting covers a very broad spectrum of treasure hunting and different areas of the hobby are better served with different tools.

That being said your plug problem may be as simple as using the right digger such as a Lesche hand digger - you won't believe the difference a proper digger can make in making a clean plug. As for roots I bought a small - 8" - folding saw that I keep in my pocket just for roots.

Good Luck and keep us posted as to how you're progressing!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Smittyman is all over it.

I started MDing last year, and luckily I live in his town, so I got to hook up with him. He has really helped me to get going in the hobby.

You will have issues digging plugs in sandy soil. TheSleeeper has the best idea, try to cut a U shaped plug (flap) and then dig the target out, then re-fill the hole and mash the flap back down. This is really important when digging in someone's yard.

Google historical aerials, they might have an old pic of Walterboro.

I use the Garrett ProPointer, works like a charm. Garrett has super customer service, just in case there is an issue.

Bart at Big Boys or Ed at Treasure Mountain are the guys to deal with for MDing material. Nice guys and easy to deal with, this can not be said for all of the dealers.

Good luck on your hunts. If you ever get up towards Charlotte, don't hesitate to PM or Smittyman.

OP
OP
H

HaaCha

Greenie
Jan 3, 2015
Walterboro, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up on the railroad Smitty. This one won't be a problem. The route was decommissioned a good while back. It's been paved over and a subdivision sits on it now. I did find one 3 foot piece of exposed track a few miles from here there's a concrete slab next to it so I might Che k it out. Also will be checking out the Summerville Club as soon as I get the chance.

I have started using the flap technique, it works great in the back yard, not so much out front. Soul here is weird. Out back its dark sand for about a foot deep, after that it turns into beach sand almost. Kind of like play yard sand. Out front its a crap shoot. 3-4 inches of dark sand, then clay. Or you'll get the beach sand. It's spotty, with no real pattern to it. But at least my front yard looks like it always has. The back yard, not so much. Apparently our dog thinks it's a great idea to dig where I do. Now if I can get him to sniff out metal and cover up after himself I'll be set.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are definitely in relic country. You shouldn't have a problem finding the good stuff. Good luck!

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
I find a pinpointer to be just another item I don't wanna carry. Like a sand scoop at the beach, a small shovel in the corn field, anything else except my Whites and the bayonet from the M1 Garand I bought 20 years ago. Do I mark up a coin now and then? Naw, I've gotten pretty good with it, but to each his own, eh?

OP
OP
H

HaaCha

Greenie
Jan 3, 2015
Walterboro, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. For me, I'm blind as a bat. If it ain't shiny it blends in with everything and looks like one dark blob to me. If it helps me leave less of an impact at the site the better. As soon as my detector gets back from Garrett I'm going to go after the treeline that the Swamp Fox ambushed from at Parker's Ferry, after I find that I'll have a better shot at finding the camp he had set up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread