What do you do with all of your silver coins ?

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been reading peoples posts on what they found in 2014 and started to wonder what people do with all of the silver coins they have found over the years. Do you just put them in a jar, in a book or something else? I don't have this problem yet but hope to have a couple here and there over the next year. On a second note what do you do with all the clad and other stuff you find? Thanks

Upvote 0

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found that much silver but I just put it away in the safe for now. I have gotten more silver dabbling in CRH than digging. The clad gets tumbled and cleaned and gets rolled and exchanged for the CRH. I don't ever plan on getting rich from either, just for fun.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I sell every thing i find it does me no good to sit in a jar shelf or display case …. I don't like clutter that is why i am not a collector….

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take clad coins to Coin Star machines. I lose some cents this way but it saves time. Silver coins go in a bucket after I check dates. Gold jewelry I try to save for ARA Refineries, but grand daughter has claims on those. I just enjoy finding stuff.

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't figured out what to do with my silvers. I usually check the dates and if they're common, clean them a bit and put them in bags. I got 52 last year - which was my first year keeping count. I'll probably just hang on to them until I have too many 😎

OP
OP
Pinball

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just planning on putting any silver coins that I found in an album with the date found and location. I only have one right now but I have BIG plans :) I think I will just keep all the cald until I have enough to buy a new toy. I think I will also be keeping all of the tags and unique items I find but not all the dirt filled Match Box cars and other unknown items. I was just curious what everyone else did with their treasures. Thanks for the replies.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been reading peoples posts on what they found in 2014 and started to wonder what people do with all of the silver coins they have found over the years. Do you just put them in a jar, in a book or something else? I don't have this problem yet but hope to have a couple here and there over the next year. On a second note what do you do with all the clad and other stuff you find? Thanks

What do YOU do with your silver? I'll tell you what I do with mine if you tell me what you do with yours. On a second note, please feel free to tell us what YOU do with other clad and stuff and crap and things that you find. Thanks LMFAO

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to sell my silver, Now I just give it to my Nephew yearly as his Xms gift from me :tongue3:

as far as everything else, what I can't sell I display in My Garage (museun)

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to sell my silver, Now I just give it to my Nephew yearly as his Xms gift from me :tongue3:

as far as everything else, what I can't sell I display in My Garage (museun)

Is that why I always see your truck when you post a pic of snow there?? :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that why I always see your truck when you post a pic of snow there?? :laughing7:

lol the garage ain't big enough for both :laughing7:

it's actually getting hard for me to fit in too.
that's why my museum has spread to my house :tongue3:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine's in Storage .

Storage there, Storage Here .

Visual Storage :laughing7:

I know they have their place for cleaning & stuff but

No room for a wife :tongue3:

Last edited:

Scott (Upstate NY)

Mar 24, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Classic III, Surf PI, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take clad coins to Coin Star machines. I lose some cents this way but it saves time. Silver coins go in a bucket after I check dates. Gold jewelry I try to save for ARA Refineries, but grand daughter has claims on those. I just enjoy finding stuff.

Sandman, have you considered joining a bank that offers the coin counting for free? You would save 9 or 10 cents on the dollar......that would be a huge savings if you're really tearing through the rolls.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to take 1,5 & 10 cent clad to the bank But they run the coins through the machine.
Which means spending time & money getting them clean enough to pass scrutiny
by tellers bucking for a raise.

So I find a coin counting machine & dump my dirty coins in it.
the 5% they take can go towards maintenance.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I send my non-key date coins and Silver jewelry to a refinery and have them send me back 1 ounce shiny new coins. I've researched and this way makes me a little bit more than selling them to a local store. As for the clad - at the end of our hunting season here in Minnesota, I tumble and bring them down to my bank and exchange for cash.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all my silver my clad I clean and sell every year or two and buy coins for my collection.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good idea's here on what to do with your Silver, I say keep it when someone figures out that the US dollar is completely worthless you will wish you had it!:laughing7:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Sell it then I buy silver bullion. My clad I use to take out the lady for a nice dinner every yr.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I place the better condition silver (and old valuable) coins in those 2 x 2 coin holders. The clad sits in two 6 quart Tupperware containers. My jewelry and gold finds are in a “treasure chest” wooden box. I enjoy the experience sometimes more than the find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions