Has anyone tried to waterproof their metal detector with a nano-coating?

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I am curious is anyone has used a nan-coating to make their metal detector or pinpointer waterproof? Companies offer to make your cell phone waterproof with this technology, and I am curious if it works just as well with metal detectors. The idea is to apply a very thin, water-proof nano-coating to the inside electronics, so even if water gets in no damage or compromise of functionality will occur.

More on that : Want a better way to waterproof a phone? Try nanocoating - CNET

A company that does this : Leaders in Liquid Repellent Nano-Coating Technology | P2i

If you have any relevant experience with this, please sound off here

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read about this some time ago. Didn't consider its use on a detector however. My thought on it is that the coating that's proposed is not intended for rough environments such as those we put our machines thru. It might be useful for internal circuits as a moisture guard but I don't see it being practical at this time for use in the field. Water proofing a phone is a great idea and I'd be inclined to have my phone treated however I doubt the coating will survive the washer but might come in handy after a toilet dunk. *hopefully its number one and not two one would have to deal with* ;) Hahh!

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing they coat is the circuit boards, and internal electronics. So it doesn't matter how hard you use your metal detector, unless you are working without an outer casing. It should still provide the same protection it offers cellular phones when it comes to waterproofing. I may send them an older detector and run a test with this.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant see as how that would hurt a bit :) Might take a little of the fear factor out when you get caught in a down pour or are concerned about high humidity enviroments.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On their website they show a phone submerged for four hours with it on the whole time, and no damage afterward. It literally insulates the circuitry from water short circuits.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If its anything like the "Never Wet" that is sold at home depot it will only work for a few days and isn't permanent.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

An interesting thread. If it is for the electronics only, you would have to disassemble parts of the detector to apply. Will this violate (if it still applies) the warranty? Make it more difficult to repair? I am just thinking out loud.

Nevertheless, a very interesting product!

Regards,

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, this is not one of the hydrophobic coatings like you can apply to cloth, its a nano-coating. It can't be washed off as far as I know, it is permanent. If you have more questions, call the company and let us know how they answer your question.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We use a product called Corrosion-X for the receivers and electronics of our radio-controller seaplanes - they get some splatter and an occasional dunking. It gives some water protection to the electronics. Mostly it prevents the damages caused after the circuits and connectors get wet and the salts and minerals dry in and on the components.

CorrosionX

Note I have not tried it on my detector electronics - but have saturated several radio receivers, servos and ESC (electronic speed controllers) which have printed circuits and computer chips as sensitive as those of a detector. Worked great with them. Several pilots in my club do the same.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We used Conformal Coating at work to protect circuit boards from the weather. If you have something dismantled already it works great. Comes in a spray can.

A Conformal coating is a protective chemical coating or polymer film 25-75µm thick (50µm typical) that 'conforms' to the circuit board topology. Its purpose is to protect electronic circuits from harsh environments that may contain moisture and or chemical contaminants.

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We use something called Enduroshield where I work to coat and seal glass. Semi permenant....7 year warranty. Might try a few tests on that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread