Question for the experienced?

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I know after reading this message board I read you must know your detector. I have a question about that. I am using a GTI-1500, turn it on set the mode and go. If it hits metal it will make a sound, As far as tones go I really do not hear any difference in them, belltone high, medium tone then the low tone. I play around with sensitivity and all that stuff but excluding 2 war nickels have not found a silver coin after being at it for about 1 1/2 years. I probably have 150 or so hours on the machine. So my question is am I just not in the right spot or am I doing something wrong? I do have some pretty neat finds and I do not see anyone with metal detectors around here. I just cant figure out why I have not found one yet. Maybe this year will produce a first, I hope so. Good Luck to everyone!!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Likely Rich, You Just Didn't hit the right Spot Yet. You Got War Nickels, which are Harder to Find then Silver Dimes & Quarters, so That Is the Only Explination that Makes sense

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GTI 1500 doesn't have 3 different tones (as do other makes of machines). Garrett uses a "Bell tone" that you can set the machine to run with when it's turned on/set. There is also a "Bi - level" mode/tone setting you can use. This mode will allow the machine to either ring like a bell when you go over good conductive metals OR - sound off in a mid tone when passing over nickel, gold, iron, etc.

As for the rest of your post:

either you haven't put yourself in the rgt place to find silver (which I doubt since you found war nickels) and I'd go back to that/those area/s, or, you're adjusting the sesnitivity too much/setting it too high OR low and are masking out the silver which may be deeper than your settings are allowing for..

I know Garretts machines 'inside and out' (as well as a few other makers machines). If I were you, I'd hold down the power button for approx. 10 seconds to "re-set" the factory settings, and then hunt in all metal with "bi level" tone/setting..

Also, I would not adjust the sensitivity at all UNLESS the machine starts to chatter from interference of power lines, etc. The factory setting will do just fine in most cases/places..

C

Copper

In the US, by far the most common silver coin found is the dime. Where ever you find war nickels, you'll find silver dimes.

If you're not finding any dimes something is either wrong with your detector or your knowledge of how to use it.

Practice in your backyard with a real silver dime. Bury it the same depth you found the war nickels. Listen to the sound. Silver can give different sounds. The most common is a rather soft solid tone. Today I can tell silver 85% of the time as soon as I run the coil over it. Even in all metal mode it sounds unique.

Give this a try. Also, make sure you're keeping that search coil where it should be as you swing back and forth. Some people lift the coil as they move it. Silver is very easy to miss.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other Posability Comes to mind. Maby the sites you are searching have Been hit Very hard by someone who uses alot of Discrimination & dug all the Easy Targets, leaving nothing but Trash, Nickels & what's still buried under, or too close to the trash.

OP
OP
R

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Thanks for all the tips. I have found about $20 in dimes already just nothing silver. I use the belltone so you can not miss it. I also dig mostly all targets unless I get tired of digging pull tabs then I skip some of those. I probably just didnt come up to the right spot yet like Jeff said. I do some research but not a whole bunch, I like to just go out and see whats around. I do know that I have been in the areas of early 1800 houses but the ground just didnt give nothing up yet. Oh well I will keep at it, I am sure its coming one of these days. Thanks for the help!!

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Some suggestions

1. Machine operating correctly?
Air test some coins and then find out if your machine is operating to it's maximun capability. If this is your first machine how would you know it is operating correctly? PS-There are Garrett forums around whose members can tell you more about your machine. You would be surprised how many queries I have seen on forums from folks whose machines gave poor depth and thought that it was normal? only to be told it needed repair.
2. For refresher purposes practice with buried coins- depth OK-?
3. Areas with really high mineralization give poor depth
4. Areas with unstable soil such as in Florida well old coins are deep. 20 year old coins may be 12" deep.
5. If you are hunting typical coin shooting areas such as parks, schools well believe me most shallow silver has been removed decades ago. Finding a lot of nickels without discrimination(Folks using discrimination) What is left is very deep silver or silver hiding next to trash. I am not trying to put down Garretts(which are great machines) but they are not known as depth demons.
6. Build up the nerve to ask to detect peoples yards in those old homes. Most homes which have not been detected will yield some silver. Be certain you use proper recovery methods.

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread