olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
'Moving signals' frustrating..

Apologies up front if this is in the wrong place, but the board's pretty extensive, and I did look for this subject. Im new (2 months hunting) and recently got a Garrett Ace 250. I find that many of my signals seem to move after I've started digging. They'll move an inch or so, and I sometimes give up out of frustration. I know..keep digging, but any clues as to why this happens? My holes are getting wider..lol..Help!

Upvote 0

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what Kemper said....The use of a Pin Pointer negates a ton of unwarranted frustration....The investment will pay back oodles compared to the amount of holes left without claiming the prize because we think there is nothing there. Good Luck and HH! Keep swinging and digging!

OP
OP
O

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plan on getting a pro pointer, but are you saying the pinpointer on the Ace 250 is inaccurate?

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happens to me once in a while. I figure minerals in the ground or I'm actually moving my target without realizing it.

HaaCha

Greenie
Jan 3, 2015
Walterboro, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiyas, I've had the same issue. Ace 250 with meandering signals. I'll use the feature, pop the plug, then pinpoint again only to find that the target moved to the side of the hole. Dig the side, then it moves back to the original spot. Sometimes it'll change ID on me. I'm to the point that if it starts doing that I'll put the plug back and come back after getting my pro point. One question tho, is there a high pitch whine coming from the control case? Mine does that and every once in a while it'll start having seizures with the target ID. It'll ping everything from iron to silver.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basic pinpointing skills require lower sensitivity on shallow targets. Simple solution is to use the toe/tail of the coil. Work you way towards the target and right when it sounds off the target is at the front (or rear) edge of the coil.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Targets that appear to shift are often a result of either multiple targets or ground mineralization. A bit more practice with your pin point mode and you'll begin to get a feel for when targets are actually where you pointed them out. A bit of probing before you dig, or the use of a hand help pinpointer, will cut down on chasing signals that seem to have shifted. The type of coil your using will also affect target location~ regular round coils are more spot on than DD coils in my opinion.

Multiple targets and mineralization, even halo effect, present the detector with a larger than expected target even if it ID's as a small one. Pin point mode, being an all metal mode, will often make an average between the conductive signals and as a result shift ones expected dig spot between targets. Its best to slow down and take a few moments to check around a target to see if pin point is "seeing" other information.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Toss a coin down on a piece of clean ground (no targets present at all) and practice pin pointing the coin until you can do it with your eyes closed. Then drop another target, wether junk or different composition, and see how it effects your original target. Usually if a target appears to "move around" it is a piece of junk (iron, can slaw, foil, etc) near another target. The old iron can break apart and disappear at times also. Practice is your best bet to fix your problem.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used the ace 250 many years ago and it runs rather hot....so keep the sensitivity about midway...say between 4 and 6.

Also you may want to get some of those plastic ties from a hardware store and clip several along the length of the coil wire to keep it from flopping around....either of of those issues could cause falsing.

Regards + HH

Bill

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may have located the elusive "jumping bean gold nuggets"! :laughing7:
Or, you're just in a highly mineralized area. Back off on the sensitivity, maybe.
I had the hardest time on Bondi beach with my Ace250, hot rocks everywhere...... :BangHead:
But dug a lot, of $2 coins. :notworthy: :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're pinpointing one direction and then again 90 degrees off, right? It could also be that the target is on edge or next to a root or rock. That can throw the signal off a bit.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Without watching you it sounds like you are not as pinpointed as you think when you start digging.

I don't do well with open center coils.

Have you tried "X"ing the target before you start pinpointing? Use a plastic or wood golf tee (or a tiddly wink) and set it over where you thing the target is. The swing over it on a low left to high right diagonal and see if the coil "beeps" centered on the spot. Then sweep diagonally low right to high left and see if it still appears centered. If you focus on the spot you'll see if the beep occurs when it is centered. If not move the plastic spot until it does. Then dig there.

With a closed coil you can put a contrasting color dot on the coil and concentrate on the ground for a similar pre-pinpoint pin pointing.

And with DD coils you can further back away from the target until the coil passes short of the spot - and that is the "horizon" of where the target sits.

BEST PRACTICE is to bury a coin 4" and mark it with a golf tee then practice over that. Also good for trying different settings. I've got a dozen coins, caps, nails, etc. buried in my yard as a "test garden". Well worth the effort.

Pinpointing is definitely an art.

Try this: When you are over a target go through the pinpoint button routine and then, before digging, put the coil beside the target a couple inches and then push the pinpoint button and center it again. You may get a different result. If you initialize the pinpoint with the target just inside the field it gets you a little closer as it is making the detector less sensitive to the object (which seems counter intuitive).

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has happened to me in my yard on occasion with a White's MXT Pro.

My house was built in 1900, so after 115 years of use there are targets on top of targets on top of targets.

Switching to a smaller coil helped considerably and switching to a top of the line after market coil helped enormously.

A handheld pinpointer is a must, one I dig a plug I search the loose dirt and sides of the hole for other targets, in my yard one hole produces several targets quite often.

Practice pinpointing with your machine, after awhile you will know exactly where the target is located. It may be worth the time to search Youtube, most manufacturers have videos and there may be some more in depth information available there.

Good luck and remember practice and patience are the key.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trying to figure out the different pattern from a center coil and a DD, I would have thought the center coil makes a cone and the DD a narrow cone???

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
My boys have an ace 250 and they find it hard to pinpoint as well. I use a Whites, it has a pinpoint built in and is so accurate. Maybe it is soil conditions.

NcHillbilly

Jan 17, 2015
Pitt County, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an Ace 250, I haven't had any issues with using the pin point feature. I usually have mine set on Jewelry with the sensitivity just above half way. I haven't mastered the pin point yet and just dig a plug the size of the coil. It'd be nice to have a pin pointer, but being a state employee with a daughter in private school that's $150 bucks I just don't have at the moment...

The only issue I've noticed with the ACE 250 is I took it out over the weekend and while I dug some really nice items it seemed like there were signals everywhere and I ended up digging holes as far as I could reach without finding anything....I really think the fact the ground was still wet from rains last week may have been interfering some how.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions