Frozen Ground....

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WEnt out today... only got to swing for a few minutes, hit a nice quarter signal 4 inches deep. Took the shovel went 2 inches down, felt like i hit bedrock. Im done till spring.. LOL
If you figure that it's a silver quarter, I'd bring a kettle of boiling water to make that recovery!

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That quarter is not going any where, lol once it gets warm enough for the ground to thaw out a little. I will be ALL OVER that place...

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going out tomorrow to chisel through some. The sand beaches at the lakes and along the rivers are good for about 6-8 inches in spots but the ground is rock hard. I just need to get out of the house for a while.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going out tomorrow to chisel through some. The sand beaches at the lakes and along the rivers are good for about 6-8 inches in spots but the ground is rock hard. I just need to get out of the house for a while.

Did you give up after the first two targets? lol I sure did.. Hit two targets at two different spots.. couldnt get pass the ice bedrock...

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been out several times in the last week.Its been warmer here this week.5Hrs yesterday and it was decent but earlier in the week icy.When it was icy we found some large south facing hills were not frozen.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kudos to anyone that can still get a digger into the ground! We are froze out here plus 2 FEET of snow expected Mon/Tue. Darn winter!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kudos to anyone that can still get a digger into the ground! We are froze out here plus 2 FEET of snow expected Mon/Tue. Darn winter!

I put a like on your post, but I have no idea why. Dang snow! Dang cold weather! Dang it! I have just go to find something treasure-related to do up here during these months. I'm going mental!

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you give up after the first two targets? lol I sure did.. Hit two targets at two different spots.. couldnt get pass the ice bedrock...

I got a lot of new change at the first lake I went to, it was good to about 2-3 inches. The next place I went to was frozen solid, you couldn't get anything so I quit. It was worth a try and I scoped out some interesting spots for later, found an old bottle dump too. I ended up doing some geocaching.

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain. Anything more than 2 inches is frozen like concrete. Even though it is frozen I have still been detecting. When detecting and I do get good coin target IDs I turn on the GPS on my CTX 3030, Mark the waypoint and come back to that same waypoint when the ground thaws. That could be several months from now and I would never remember if it weren't for the waypoints I have saved. Saves lots of time when it does thaw and gives me something to do even if I can't actually dig them now.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have only had about 10 inches all winter, compared to 49' last year at this time:hello2: But the ground is like concrete. At least we missed the "big one" this time:laughing7: and it wont take as long for the snow to melt as last year.....................but its still early, damn I hate Winter :BangHead:

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Received my detector back from being repaired, but why. The ground is frozen in northwestern PA with more than a foot of snow. I have been looking and scouting out some places to go look. I'll take the time to go and see about some permissions. Must stay positive.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When detecting and I do get good coin target IDs I turn on the GPS on my CTX 3030, Mark the waypoint and come back to that same waypoint when the ground thaws. That could be several months from now and I would never remember if it weren't for the waypoints I have saved. Saves lots of time when it does thaw and gives me something to do even if I can't actually dig them now.

That GPS sounds like a really nice feature to have! Hey - how close does it get you when you return? :icon_scratch:

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well not all that close. Like most GPS waypoints it could be 15 to 20 feet so not exactly pinpoint accuracy. But it does get me closer than my poor memory can get me by the time the weather warms enough to thaw the ground.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to be 50 here for the rest of the week so whats left of the snow will be gone and it will knock some frost out but it's supposed to drop back down on the weekend in the 30's. I mark good spots with the handheld gps.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally wouldn't even think about going out this time of the year but we have had some nice days and it really got me in the mood. I also want to quit my job so I have high hopes of finding a nice cache right away this year :)

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its snowing right now here in n. central PA--Nasty and 14 degrees outside!! been out md 3-4 times this week total of maybe 8-9 dug holes.. takes forever to get through the frost line digging deep!! then the worry about getting something out of the frozen dirt without damaging anything U find further!! You really become tuned in to your detector for a good target when it takes 1/2 hour to dig one hole!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions