KKK / IOOF Counterstamped Coin (updated pics)

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the Matron Head large cent I dug and posted in late November. It has a KKK and IOOF rings counterstamped onto the obverse, and the original pictures I took were before much de-crusting had taken place. I let it set in mineral oil for a few weeks and worked with a toothpick and the very little remaining detail is much better now. I've gotten more detail out out of the head than I had before, including the "ERT" of LIBERTY in the head, which wasn't visible at all until after I did all of this. On the reverse, you can see the C in America and that's it. No way to pull a date from this, but it looks a heck of a lot better than it did before!

I'm not sure if these pictures will show up in the right order but I'll give it a shot:

1. Obverse with full head outline and the ERT visible above the middle ring.
2. Reverse
3. Stamps with some of the head outline visible, especially to the left and the right of the open area between the two. The mouth is visible just to the left of the leftmost ring.
4. Closer view of the head with ERT visible.
5. Closer view of the ERT with a little of the B in Liberty showing
6. I can't see a date, can you?
7. Reverse - the C in America is visible near top-center. The largest white spot visible near the rim of the coin (almost dead center horizontally) is actually in the open part of the C. It's plainly visible in the camera but is a little out of focus in the picture.

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 153
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 135
  • k3.jpg
    k3.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 147
  • k4.jpg
    k4.jpg