permission

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I'm new to this cool hobby. Who if any should I ask to search school yards.

Welcome to the hobby and to T'net.

Question about the school you have in mind: Do others use the school yard after hours? Eg.: jog the track, walk their dog, use the basket-ball hoops or chin-up bars, etc.... ? If so, then what makes you think you need permission ? (any-more-so than those other persons probably didn't need it).

Or are you talking about a school that is fenced like Ft. Knox, no open gates, no one can ever use it after hours, etc.... ?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't unless it was a private school, or fenced or posted. I wouldn't go during school hours or dig up areas like the football field. If you need to ask, I would go straight to the school principal.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm new to this cool hobby. Who if any should I ask to search school yards.

Don't ask don't tell. Public property is yours too.

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bear this in mind when taking advice from people on the internet... they won't be there to bail you out of jail... they won't be going to Court with you...

The legality of metal detecting school property varies depending on location. Most States would consider it trespassing, and that has been debated here numerous times.

South Carolina considers the trustees of the respective school districts the owners of the real property. That is who you would need to contact, don't try to enter a school to talk to a principal. With the tensions involving school violence you never know how that's gonna go over.

Call the trustees, if they grant permission you still may get booted by the school officials. In my honest opinion... it's not worth the effort or the risk.

Research the history of your local area, Historic Map Works and the Library of Congress have lots of old maps and atlases containing valuable information. The Internet Archives is another place to find old atlases.

Research and compare battle sites and old homes with the old maps, history tells you where to start. Good luck and don't get discouraged if you can't hunt a few places, a day in jail is far more discouraging!

Code of Laws - Title 16 - Chapter 11 - Offenses Against Property
SECTION 16-11-530. Malicious injury to real property; school trustees deemed owners of school property.

For the purpose of determining whether or not any school property has been maliciously injured as the offense of malicious mischief is defined in Section 16-11-520 and as to whether or not there has been a trespass upon such property as this offense is defined in Section 16-11-600 and for all prosecutions under these penal statutes and other statutes of a like nature, the trustees of the respective school districts in this State in their official capacity shall be deemed to be the owners and possessors of all school property.

Also keep in mind what others may be doing on school property, may not draw the same attention as one who is metal detecting. If they decided to make an example out of one they could charge them with violation of these codes and probably several more.

SECTION 16-11-520.
SECTION 16-11-610.

SECTION 16-11-630.
SECTION 16-11-660.
SECTION 16-11-780.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Common misconception. Police cars and court rooms are "public property" as well. Does not mean you can drill holes in them and remove things from them.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow Tom's advice. Go after hours when there are no classes. Don't ever use a shovel or dig holes. Pop shallow coins out with a screw driver and make it look like there was no one there. You start asking, you'll get a no.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....Bear this in mind when taking advice from people on the internet... they won't be there to bail you out of jail... they won't be going to Court with you... a day in jail is far more discouraging! ....

Nugs, can you cite for us any examples of someone going to jail, court, etc... for detecting a normal routine school yard ? If so, I would love to hear it.

.... Most States would consider it trespassing, .....South Carolina considers the trustees of the respective school districts the owners of the real property.....

Perhaps. So too would you be "trespassing" for breaking into the post office or library after hours, etc... Sure. Ok, so what ? If no one cares that persons jog the track, shoot hoops, etc... then why oh why do we md'rs consider ourselves so evil, different, harmful, etc... that we are held to a different standard ?

As for the creative real estate deals ("lease for $1 p/yr, and so forth), ok, fine. It might be some sort of quasi public , unlike the "public" that we think of when thinking of parks, etc... Ok, again, "so what?" If others can go there without issue, then ... I do not consider myself anymore forbidden than them.

.....Also keep in mind what others may be doing on school property, may not draw the same attention as one who is metal detecting.....

I don't disagree. You're absolutely right that detecting has ... uh ... "connotations". (that you might be about to leave a hole, etc...). Ok fine then, go at lower traffic times and avoid such lookie-lous. I mean, the same can be said of parks, beaches, etc... Sure: "Someone might gripe". Heck, I even had a lady on the beach tell me my detector bothered her dog once! (I think she thought it emitted some sound that only dogs heard?). Ok, so what! If our criteria for metal detecting is going to be perpetually that "everyone love and adore us", you might as well hang it up now. Because you're simply not going to get the red-carpets rolled out for you by every last person on earth! Grow a set and get out and do some detecting!

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to go to the 2-3 schools I hunt about an hour before daylight. By 8-9am I am gone before any look-ie-Lou's show up. Works for me! I have had a sheriff stop and ask if I had any luck and he gave me a lead on the location of an old house site adjacent to school. He informed me that the property had been purchased by the school and to have at it. I use a brass probe and/or a Treasure Wise T-12 that both fit neatly in my finds pouch. I wouldn't carry a bunch of diggers and pinpointers hanging off your belt where you look like you're going into combat and you should be ok.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in central N.Y. I go to schools all the time. I usually go on the weekends when school is not in session, I pick up junk left around and I don't make a mess. I have met grounds people mowing, and they have no problem with me being there. Just make sure your plugs are neat and put back so it looks like you have never been there.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok,

If someone asks for advice which is probably opinions anyway, then we probably shouldn't answer because if our advice is followed then they can spend a day in jail. If someone is willing to say "well I heard on Treasurenet that it is Ok" then they probably don't need to detect to begin with. I would think that if I had asked advice on a forum, and without getting specific federal laws, or laws specific to my state/city cited, etc., then I would be responsible enough to accept all advice as just that-ADVICE.

Anytime you detect you are taking responsibility for yourself. I mean you can get permission to dig at a house, but without written and signed permission, do you really have permission after all? What keeps someone from calling the police after allowing you to detect? What I mean here, it is all a risk, you just have to weigh the risks or do like me, ask someone in an official position for permission or advice to mitigate some of the risks. I have never been turned down by a school principal to detect. If someone thinks I am endangering their kids by walking into a school and talking with the person in charge, than they are paranoid as ever.

Someone told it to me best. Metal detecting and folks that metal detect is really not common in the big scheme of things. The average person never thinks about metal detecting or treasure hunting. Some folks may get a little curious or even jealous, but I think the vast majority of folks who are surprised by seeing someone do this, are simply weirded out and/or misinformed, so it is easy to make an issue out of it or say something nasty about it. Because we understand the concept, to us it is like someone playing on a swing, walking their dog or playing frisbee. One of the worst things someone new or timid to the hobby can do, is think that it is wrong, weird or different to metal detect. If you entertain these ideas you will never get out of the house to do this. You have to accept it as a pastime and educate as many misinformed people about it as you can.

Last edited:

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been detecting for almost 30 years and have never ever had an issue detecting at public schools. Like others have mentioned, detect during non school hours, leave the property better than you found it, and always be polite. You shouldn't have any problems.

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP is from South Carolina, school property there is not considered public property, it's considered private property owned by the school official of the respective districts.

Detecting without out consent is trespassing in SC... Also things are not like they were ten years ago or twenty years ago. Security around schools has increased considerably due to school violence. What may have not been an issue in the past may be an issue today.

People get arrested for picking their kids up wrong and kids get expelled because their pizza resembled a gun. Hardly what I would consider rational, but that is the atmosphere surrounding schools today.

Which one of you are going to go bail this guy out of jail if your advice is wrong?

What if I'm wrong... he misses out on a few clad coins... sure beats jail!

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not according to South Carolina Law it's not... school property is considered private property when it comes to trespassing.

Code of Laws - Title 16 - Chapter 11 - Offenses Against Property
SECTION 16-11-530. Malicious injury to real property; school trustees deemed owners of school property.

For the purpose of determining whether or not any school property has been maliciously injured as the offense of malicious mischief is defined in Section 16-11-520 and as to whether or not there has been a trespass upon such property as this offense is defined in Section 16-11-600 and for all prosecutions under these penal statutes and other statutes of a like nature, the trustees of the respective school districts in this State in their official capacity shall be deemed to be the owners and possessors of all school property.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell me that was a joke Charlie P That is the worst comparison I've seen. If you were talking about police cars and courtrooms where officials would routinely let people drill hoes in them ,then maybe you would be on the same planet of remarks.

Nope. Dead serious. And it will be worse in a short while.

Schools - especially elementary - do not take kindly to adults hanging around on the grounds during school hours without permission or approval. Creepazoids and parents without legal custody abducting children are real problems - not to mention the pure nut-cases there to shoot up the place. It won't be a detecting issue.

Ask. Always the best policy.

Last edited:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't do the school yard,but do the tot-lot,that's where the $$ are.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
The OP is from South Carolina, school property there is not considered public property, it's considered private property owned by the school official of the respective districts...

I'll accept this as fact. And it may be true of other states to (CA too for all I know). And that therefore un-authorized entry to a school's grass there, is therefore "trespassing" (if you asked enough lawyers and real estate experts). Ok. Fine. Sure. Granted. And now I say "so what?" Because the real issue is: who cares? If others in the community can use the monkey bars after hours, fly a kite, etc..... and no one cares less, then ..... ok, so what ?

.... Which one of you are going to go bail this guy out of jail if your advice is wrong?

What if I'm wrong... he misses out on a few clad coins... sure beats jail!

And we're still waiting for you to give any examples of any md'r who has "gone to jail" for md'ing a routine innocuous school yard.

Now just for the record: We're talking routine school yards where ...... yes, they may have a fence, but typically have a permanently propped open gate (with the obligatory signs to the effect of "visitors check in at the office" type stuff). We're not talking those that are truly buttoned up like Ft. Knox, barb-wire, padlocked gates, that no one ever goes to after school hours for ANY purpose.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who is considering hanging around schools during school hours ? I wouldn't even suggest anyone ask to do that.

I wouldn't want a teacher spanking me on the wrist! Lol. Seriously I do almost all my land detecting in the wee hours of the morning. Less attention, positive or negative, drawn to our hobby is good by me.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. I gave the ugly answer. Now the do as I do answer.

The only person you have to ask is the one who might call the police. If you appear to be doing no harm maybe no one will complain.

I detect schools (after hours) all the time. Stay off the baseball infield and the soccer/football field and the groundskeeper probably won't care. Leave no holes!

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't carry a bunch of diggers and pinpointers hanging off your belt where you look like you're going into combat and you should be ok.

Tank 4.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread