Who do you ask to metal detect on construction sites

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suggest you contact the foreman or whoever is in charge of the project.

Regards + HH

Bill

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd ask anyone working there that you think would give you permission. If it turns out he doesn't have the authority, that's their problem....not yours.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just hunt it when the workers aren't there. They are worried about you suing them if your injured. It's best to ask the foreman.

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having worked as a heavy equipment operator on these sites for 25 years, this is what usually happens..................the first guy you talk to will probably be a laborer, he will send you to an operator, who in turn will tell you where the foreman is, or.................... what time we go home, and have at it!!, if its still light!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... or.................... what time we go home, and have at it!!, if its still light!!

haha, I've actually had the following answer before, from construction workers (foreman, or whomevers):

a) initial answer: "no".

b) But then with a wink of sympathy says: "I/we leave at 5pm. What I don't see from my house, doesn't bother me".

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haha, I've actually had the following answer before, from construction workers (foreman, or whomevers):

a) initial answer: "no".

b) But then with a wink of sympathy says: "I/we leave at 5pm. What I don't see from my house, doesn't bother me".

Exactly........Tom " I am not giving you permission, but once We leave, your on your own" Never had a detectorist approach a job site.......usually bottle collectors

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Exactly........Tom " I am not giving you permission, but once We leave, your on your own" Never had a detectorist approach a job site.......usually bottle collectors

Thanx. Also bear in mind, while it's true that some kind-hearted construction answer in that way, you can BET that there are others who ......... know deep down if they gave that kind of answer, then guess what the md'r will probably do:

The md'r will hear that type of "wink wink" answer , and read the correct hidden answer there. Right ? But then let's say for instance if for some reason he got booted later on that night, by a 1) cop, 2) security gaurd, 3) someone higher up at that construction co. Then here's the turn-of-events that could happen next: The md'r or bottle digger could be a numbskull and say: "the foreman said I could, by saying the following wink wink statements". Naturally, the person booting them can over-turn this say-so, or point out that that wasn't "exactly" permission right ? Ok, no problem you apologize and leave, right ? But in the meantime, guess what can happen to the nice-foreman who gave you that wink-wink statement? He could be in hot-water.

Therefore while it's true that sometimes that wink-wink happens, I'll be there's a bunch more foreman who MIGHT FEEL EXACTLY THE SAME WAY (ie.: that they could care less whether you detected). However, they're duty-bound to say "no", and are afraid of adding the wink-wink suffix, lest it come back to bite them.

Therefore I sometimes search not only their words, but also their demeanor in the way they answer me. Hence I do not often wait for red-carpets to be rolled out for me, in old-town urban demolition sites.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, Its a dance for sure.......................You just hope you pick a good partner, that wont step on your toes!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go at night or early am! Just be aware of dangers on job site or from would be assailants passing thru where you are searching. Keep one ear uncupped from headphones!

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
I've asked to detect at more than 10 construction sites over the years and at every one of them I was told no.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep in mind that the construction people probably don't own the property. Having their permission doesn't mean much, in the legal sense. You're responsible for getting legal permission. Take care.
jim

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Keep in mind that the construction people probably don't own the property. Having their permission doesn't mean much, in the legal sense. You're responsible for getting legal permission. Take care.
jim

Jim, this line of reasoning has come up in many threads over the years. Ie.: "how far to go to the top, to the *right* person to ask". So for example: You walk into city hall somewhere. You ask the desk-clerk: "can I detect in the park?". She says "yes". BUT WAIT ! How do you know that person had the authority to say that ? Afterall, they're just a lowly desk clerk. Hmmmm. So you go higher than them to the parks dept. supervisor. They say "sure go ahead". BUT WAIT! How do you know that person is high enough or has that authority ? Afterall, they report to the mayor and city council. Thus most certainly you need to bring this up and the next city council meeting, right?

I hope you see the silly-ness of that, but it serves a point: While what you are saying might be technically true (that someone could over-ride the const. worker's say-so), THAT'S THEIR PROBLEM ! If they feel they have the authority to say "yes", then you're golden. Hence most of us would take the first yes we get, and not argue with it. If that means asking the little girl on the street corner playing on the swing-sets, SO BE IT :)

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tom, I was thinking strictly in the legal sense. You definitely are NOT golden. No more than if you asked a homeless person who happens to be squatting on the property. Private property isn't the same as public property. Each of us has a responsibility to get permission from the legal owner, or the owner's legal representative. Failing that, you takes your chances. As to what I would do....I don't discuss that on an open forum. I will say, I'm a lot more careful about private property than I am public property. One thing I will say is that I believe in Natural Law. One of the basic tenets of that Law is "don't trespass on others." respect their property rights, as you would expect them to respect yours.
Jim

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just think of the serious and dire consequences that could result if you don't ask.......for example, the most likely one: Someone will approach you and say "Don't do that".

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already see the answers I got.

at Road Construction from the day/night Watchman
on a street where the houses were still standing but
purchased by eminent domaine for a highway widening I was told

loosely Quoted
"I cannot give you Permission. some of the people who lived in these places are still
upset at having to move. add to that legal issues. But
If I drive by making my rounds, I'm not going to be stopping
to see what your doing :tongue3: "

Remember though, this was 10 ish year ago .
People were not breaking in places stealing Copper
for a living.

as far as the type of construction your talking.
I would believe the Construction Crew would be the one to ask.
as they would be temporary owners till their work is complete .

that is unless they urge you to ask the land owner.

my guess,
Fear of you getting hurt and blaming them will be your biggest Hurdle.
with destruction & Theft as a distant second.
IF you Introduce yourself openly as you Ask

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions