Best coil for depth on whites spectrum xlt?

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Mountains of West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Sun-Ray DX1 Probe, White's XLT, Sun-Ray XL1 Probe, White's Coin Master Pro, White's Coin Master 2900 Trooper, White's Coin Master 2DB Series 2, White's 120mm Bullseye Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The larger the coil the deeper you go. White's makes a 15" coil for the XLT but it is rather heavy and depending where you might be hunting it could be difficult swinging. The stock coil (9.50) is a good all around coil. It trashy locations I have found the 4"X6" DD is a killer on coins. So without going into great detail, the larger the coil the deeper you will go but in a trashy area it would be difficult to use.

OP
OP
Marylanddetctr

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where can u get the 4"x6" dd coil

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Sun-Ray DX1 Probe, White's XLT, Sun-Ray XL1 Probe, White's Coin Master Pro, White's Coin Master 2900 Trooper, White's Coin Master 2DB Series 2, White's 120mm Bullseye Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At the White's web or authorized white's dealers on ebay, amazon, etc. Hope this helps. I use the 4"X6"dd as the number coil on my XLT. I even bought a v-rated one for my VX3 as well. Just awing them slow and you will be amazed. If you decide to make a purchase, make sure you don't purchase the Eclipse 4X6 because it is for the V series detectors. You will want one for the 6.59 frequency.

OP
OP
Marylanddetctr

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also noticed whites has a newer gray wire on there coils, do these still work on the older style whites detectors

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All of my XLT coils came with a black cable and all the coils I have purchased for my VX3 are grey. I have had my XLT coils for some time.

ICON

Dec 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm looking for a ''big foot '' for my old xlt. never tried one .

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never tried on either. I have seen them on e-bay recently.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a whites spectrum xlt and was wondering what the best coil for depth would be.

What size target at what depth do you want? Bigger coils can miss smaller targets.

I'm with WV - a 6.5" x 4" coil is my favorite for coins. Gets me as deep as I care to dig (11" to 12") on dimes and quarters.

OP
OP
Marylanddetctr

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to finder deeper coins and smaller sized relics

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would like to finder deeper coins and smaller sized relics

Charlie is right: The question would be "what are you looking to find?". If the answer is coin-sized targets (which you have now clarified), then the stock 9.5" coil is about the "point of diminishing returns" for coin-sized targets. Sorry to say. The only thing that going to larger coils on the XLT will bring you, is:

a) more coverage swath, and

b) more depth on larger (jars, cans, toaster ovens, etc...) sized targets.

c) but no more depth on coin sized targets.

And bear in mind, that there is intrinsic downsides when moving to larger coils anyhow: Fishier performance/pinpointing, more susceptibility to minerals (d/t your coil is now "seeing" more ground), & more masking.

dnewbury2

Mar 20, 2004
Cherokee, AL, Occupied C.S.A.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Tesoro Golden Sabre and Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Blue Max 600 on my XLT. The new name for that coil is Bullseye 5.3. It's large enough for depth and ground coverage but gives good target separation.

OP
OP
Marylanddetctr

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a blue max 950 9.5" that it came with, what is the difference between that coil and the one it came with, or in another words what is the blue max 950 specialized for, depth? Thanks!

OP
OP
Marylanddetctr

Marylanddetctr

Aug 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2
Whites spectrum xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean what's the difference between the blue max 950 and the stock coil?

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the White's Eclipse 6 x 10 DD on my M6. Do I have the wrong coil on it?? It's a coin-eatin' son of a gun!!:dontknow:
At the White's web or authorized white's dealers on ebay, amazon, etc. Hope this helps. I use the 4"X6"dd as the number coil on my XLT. I even bought a v-rated one for my VX3 as well. Just awing them slow and you will be amazed. If you decide to make a purchase, make sure you don't purchase the Eclipse 4X6 because it is for the V series detectors. You will want one for the 6.59 frequency.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions