The "Blooper" Moment

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOTE: Im sry if there is a similar post. I wasnt able to find another post like this.

Not only do I thoroughly enjoy hearing treasure finds of all types, I also enjoy hear those moments where you start to sweat, heart starts pounding and your mind starts racing when you start excavating, thinking you have something cool but only to find out its garbage. Things that make you say ":censored:" lol

Ill start with one. Short and simple and very infuriating!

One morning I went out detecting before work. The grounds used to be a school that had been torn down... Sure I found loose change (All Modern), broken pens and the usual junk you expect to find on school grounds... But, my detector hit real high! I dug down about 9-10in and you would never guess what was staring me in the face... It was a dial to a safe lock! I started getting all physical responses and I paused. I sat there staring at it in aw. This was only the second time I used my GTI 2500. So needless to say to be a complete NooB and to see that was amazing.

So, I slowly removed more dirt and some more dirt after that... I found the edge and put my shovel in to rock it loose and then it just popped out... So what infact was it you ask?... DUN DUN DUUUNNNNN! It was nothing more that the front cover of a cheap modern safe....

So whats your story?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will agree... Ive meet some of the nicest people in TN. My wife and I even play around with the idea of moving there,
LOL, my TN was meant as TreasureNet..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, this is a public forum, and I can go round with the best of them, where "words" are concerned.
It is also a VIOLATION OF THE RULES, so don't even jump back bad at me, when you're called out.

Besides being proof some ppl shouldn't be trusted with words, in public, one would hafta wonder what your regulatory speech is like.
Use that kinda language with YOUR kids much?
and I'm done! no worries
Plain & simple this is their (TNets) house. When you're in your house your rules apply. When in their house their rules are the way to go. It's just thst simple........

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The op did actually make me laugh, but that was about Tenn. lol.

Ya'll may need to just excuse me, for having an appreciating for refinement of speech,
instead of the everyday dumbing down of it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you keep the Lid ?

I would.

New or not It's a Conversation piece.

P.S. I came in too late for the Tony Beets Impression :tongue3:
But I like the story
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you keep the Lid ?

I would.

New or not It's a Conversation piece.

P.S. I came in too late for the Tony Beets Impression :tongue3:
But I like the story
:thumbsup:

No I didnt lol If it was older I might have but it was cheap sheet metal and had no value to me at all. Not to mention I didnt want to carry it around while I detected. I just put it in my car and tossed it later.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found stuff that was marked as being gold but wasn't. It was tarnished so I wasn't really fooled at first. I've also found stuff that i called "dirt trolls" such as a drink lid that was blue in color but said "Purple Passion" I have a small collection of some stuff like that. I'll have to see what I do have.
Hey Kemper, grab an old harddrive & salvage the magnets out of it excellent for a quickie test for plated. Most even have a hole on the end that fits a keychain ring great. Only drawback is if you have it in your cargo pocket & get too close to the truck it's embarrassing trying to pry your leg off the truck!

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On one nice but cold 28° day, I was in the woods digging for bottles. My detector was in the pawn shop and I needed to scratch my diggers itch. I stared finding old toys in the pit at about a foot so I got down on my hands and knees and started using hand tools to slowly dig down deeper. I did'nt want to risk damaging anything and that's when I came face to face with not one but two cottonmouth snakes. Can't post what I said but I'm sure you can guess and as the evil queen says in Wonderland "Off with his head". So I dispatched them and went on digging.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one nice but cold 28° day, I was in the woods digging for bottles. My detector was in the pawn shop and I needed to scratch my diggers itch. I stared finding old toys in the pit at about a foot so I got down on my hands and knees and started using hand tools to slowly dig down deeper. I did'nt want to risk damaging anything and that's when I came face to face with not one but two cottonmouth snakes. Can't post what I said but I'm sure you can guess and as the evil queen says in Wonderland "Off with his head". So I dispatched them and went on digging.

Lol Stone, I see your in Mississippi. I grew up there. Both in Clinton and Brandon so I know that fear too! While out walking with friends, through a ditch we disturbed a massive Copper Head! Those southern snakes are no joke! The only ones we have in Michigan are the Northern Rattler (Non aggressive) and Water Moccasins. Both of which dont really concern me.
So be careful buddy. I would hate to hear of someone being bit by a nasty thing like a Cotton Mouth.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a spanish cob not far from a gold mining arrastre that was considered spanish.Bout had a coniption.poured some water on it and when I looked close it says,"copy"right on it.doh!!Someone got me good.Funny that I just got another one just like it with my newest machine...gonna sucker my hunting bud with it..:occasion14:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some of those magnets that I have used before to scrap out in the shop. Yeah,they are powerful. Sticking one on the tool cabinet shows how powerful they can be. Good point on the plated and will also add that if it is plated brass or copper the magnet will not stick.
You're right on that. One trick I learned to watch for is crooked buyers will take a chain lift it with a magnet & say yeah it's plated. Most people don't realize the spring in the clasp will stick. Wonder how many get costume prices for gold or silver from the pawn shops.

I've got a handful of silver pesos that are fakes. A HD magnet will snap them up from 3", but they'll acid test ok. Kind of fun asking buyers what they pay for pesos, then snap them out of their hand. The looks on their faces are great!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a spanish cob not far from a gold mining arrastre that was considered spanish.Bout had a coniption.poured some water on it and when I looked close it says,"copy"right on it.doh!!Someone got me good.Funny that I just got another one just like it with my newest machine...gonna sucker my hunting bud with it..:occasion14:
Thanks for the idea!!!!!! Always looking for pay backs on pranks!:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

LET THE PRANKING BEGIN!!!!

Last edited:

SwtTea

Feb 3, 2015
Central AR
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Eurotek Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had a kind of similar experience. It was the first time we took the MD out of our yard and went to a park close by. Got a bunch of pull tabs and a few modern pennies, then got this really high amazing sounding signal. And we dug and dug and just got more excited because it was DEEP. We finally saw the top of it and oh my it looked like a lock, like the top of a padlock. Really old looking. We were freaking out. It wouldn't budge so of course we thought it was attached to something! Well after digging at it for a while, trying to keep our hole confined as well because it was a park, we figured out what it was. It had to be some kind of post, like to hold volleyball nets on or something. The thing was probably 8ft down in the ground, with that top piece being about 9 inches under the surface. No idea how it got there but... hey, it was fun while we thought it was something.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all slip around our kids... I would love to meet a teenager in this day and age that has never heard a swear? (I didnt swear btw) So while these teens are taking a break from playing "Call of Duty" and listening to Eminem.....

FYI...You probably don't know this, but he got banned last year.:laughing7:

just thought it was funny you brought him up.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol Stone, I see your in Mississippi. I grew up there. Both in Clinton and Brandon so I know that fear too! While out walking with friends, through a ditch we disturbed a massive Copper Head! Those southern snakes are no joke! The only ones we have in Michigan are the Northern Rattler (Non aggressive) and Water Moccasins. Both of which dont really concern me.
So be careful buddy. I would hate to hear of someone being bit by a nasty thing like a Cotton Mouth.

Not sure what exactly that northern rattler is actually. I'm guessing its the massasauga rattler. Not aggressive at all, I've stepped on one once on accident, it just slithered away. We don't have the water moccasin in Michigan. There is a northern water snake, but it isn't poisonous.

BC

OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what exactly that northern rattler is actually. I'm guessing its the massasauga rattler. Not aggressive at all, I've stepped on one once on accident, it just slithered away. We don't have the water moccasin in Michigan. There is a northern water snake, but it isn't poisonous.

BC
Yes its the massasauga... lol I couldnt spell it. Heck, I can barely say it... And as for the Water Moccasins, I was sure you where mistaken but your right. I googled it and there just water snakes... Wow. I just learned somthing new today. COOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread