The "Blooper" Moment

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOTE: Im sry if there is a similar post. I wasnt able to find another post like this.

Not only do I thoroughly enjoy hearing treasure finds of all types, I also enjoy hear those moments where you start to sweat, heart starts pounding and your mind starts racing when you start excavating, thinking you have something cool but only to find out its garbage. Things that make you say ":censored:" lol

Ill start with one. Short and simple and very infuriating!

One morning I went out detecting before work. The grounds used to be a school that had been torn down... Sure I found loose change (All Modern), broken pens and the usual junk you expect to find on school grounds... But, my detector hit real high! I dug down about 9-10in and you would never guess what was staring me in the face... It was a dial to a safe lock! I started getting all physical responses and I paused. I sat there staring at it in aw. This was only the second time I used my GTI 2500. So needless to say to be a complete NooB and to see that was amazing.

So, I slowly removed more dirt and some more dirt after that... I found the edge and put my shovel in to rock it loose and then it just popped out... So what infact was it you ask?... DUN DUN DUUUNNNNN! It was nothing more that the front cover of a cheap modern safe....

So whats your story?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Inlaws home was built in 1921 and is old farmland passed down from a wealthy family. My father inlaw does the farming and manages the cows for the owner. They rent the home and I can basically dig anywhere on the property and other land he farms. I was excited to be able to detect the property especially when I found out there was a basement. I'd been down there once but didn't pay much attention to it other than it being dark and creepy. So I planned for a few weeks and got excited when the week came to detect it on a Saturday. I got my gear cleaned up and ready the day prior. Then I walk down the stairs ready to find an old coin cache or something else cool. Then it hits me....the floor of the old basement is concreted in!!! Nooooo

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had another blooper moment yesterday while detecting a friends yard. I have found a few silver dimes and a hand full of wheat pennies in his yard. I headed to an area that I haven't detected yet. I got a screaming high tone that stopped me dead in my tracks, the target gave a 90-91 on the F75. I was thinking big silver. I carefully dug the plug and checked the hole with my pinpointer, nothing in the hole. I then checked the plug and the pointer sounded off. My heart was pounding and all I could think about was big silver. I took my fingers and cracked the plug in half and saw a large silver dollar caked in mud staring at me. I let out a loud YES!!! Then noticed Popeye was on the coin. Not a silver dollar but a Popeyes Chicken token. Dang... Maybe next time.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150206_213458.png
    ForumRunner_20150206_213458.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had another blooper moment yesterday while detecting a friends yard. I have found a few silver dimes and a hand full of wheat pennies in his yard. I headed to an area that I haven't detected yet. I got a screaming high tone that stopped me dead in my tracks, the target gave a 90-91 on the F75. I was thinking big silver. I carefully dug the plug and checked the hole with my pinpointer, nothing in the hole. I then checked the plug and the pointer sounded off. My heart was pounding and all I could think about was big silver. I took my fingers and cracked the plug in half and saw a large silver dollar caked in mud staring at me. I let out a loud YES!!! Then noticed Popeye was on the coin. Not a silver dollar but a Popeyes Chicken token. Dang... Maybe next time.

Not as good as big silver piece but honestly I think its cool! I think I faintly remember these from the late 80's or early 90's

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Blooper" Moment

The first time I took my detector to the lake I was detecting around a beach picnic area and hit a nice sounding signal. In my first scoop out of the ground I could see the edge of a big dollar sized coin poking out. Of course I didn't think I was going to be rich or anything but I was pretty excited about what I had found. Got on my knees and put everything to the side, picked up the coin, started shaking off the sand and....

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423402942.167890.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423402960.320922.jpg

3 bucks off at Sonny's bbq! Needless to say a big disappointment and still haven't found a coin bigger than a quarter.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya we have all had those "almost" moments. But at lest it wasn't as snake an didn't bite you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread