ML Explorer II vrs newer MLs-xs, se, e-track ect.

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never used a Mine lab. Tell me what you think of the ML Explorer II....good, bad, ugly, LOl! Seriously though, read a claim that said explorer II was the best machine ML ever made, and that it was "deeper" than any of the newer models. What's your experience?

Upvote 0

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All minelabs have a long learning curve, her sounds sometimes make many give up on them. For the rest you can see my reply in the Minelab section on the thread you started.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used a Mine lab. Tell me what you think of the ML Explorer II....good, bad, ugly, LOl! Seriously though, read a claim that said explorer II was the best machine ML ever made, and that it was "deeper" than any of the newer models. What's your experience?

I don't think it's any deeper than the rest but I have one and it in my opinion it will hang right with them. I just picked up a second with the 8inch coil for $275. I found the explorers not as hard to learn as people often say. Personally I never feel outgunned and I've hunted with all the top models but the 3030. The videos showing airtest and nail board test are misleading at best. If you take the time to learn it does everything people say it won't. For the money the best deal in the hobby.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
sleeper and dirt-scratcher gave good input so far. I will add that the Explorer II was amongst the best in the entire Explorer evolution. From the XS (the first explorer) to the 3030 (the present incarnation), the Exp. II is tops.

It can be debated as to whether or not the 3030 has "added depth". There's an ongoing debate there, that I won't go into here. And sure, it's nice to have waterproof, and perhaps some added target recovery speed, etc... with the 3030. But you're talking VVVEEERRRYYY negligable specialty niche differences. For most of the hunting I do, the Exp. II is going to do everything the 3030 can do, at identical depths. The advantage of the Exp. II is the well-loved tones. Silver just sings out so nice in turf hunting. Yes I know it's debated that the 3030 has all sorts of user options, and can be made to sing just as nice, blah blah. Also the Exp. II allows you to have an in-line probe, while the 3030 does not.

If I were you, I'd go with the Exp. II.

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I have Exp II and a 3030,A used II will cost you around $450 A 3030 Used $1700.The II is a great unit and will find 90+% of what a 3030 will.The 3030 will do a bit better trash,but non-stock coils will run$400 while you can get them for a 100 used on the II.You will find a LOT of silver with either one.How much do want to spend?

OP
OP
Massieville Mike

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have Exp II and a 3030,A used II will cost you around $450 A 3030 Used $1700.The II is a great unit and will find 90+% of what a 3030 will.The 3030 will do a bit better trash,but non-stock coils will run$400 while you can get them for a 100 used on the II.You will find a LOT of silver with either one.How much do want to spend?
As litte as possible! Lol! Seriously though, I would like to stay under six hundred.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread