Benefits of CTX3030 17" coil vs 11" coil

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

I was curious if someone could share their insights on the benefits of the 17" coil vs. the 11" coil for the CTX3030.

Does the 17" coil provide additional depth or is it merely providing a larger coverage in swings?

I'm considering the purchase of one, and just want to know what benefits I should expect.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Upvote 0

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
I have all three coils and use the 11 inch and six in cool the most as the areas I have hunted are very trashy areas. I have used the 17 inch coil a little and could nut tell that much difference in depth, just a lot more coverage on the beach I hunted. In trashy area it was hard to use.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the 17" gives more depth. I found multiple 11 - 12" deep dimes and quarters in one of my fields. I know for a fact that I hunted the spot multiple times because I use the GPS on my CTX. I first found a silver quarter, then scrubbed the area hard for a few more silvers. Next hunt I put on the 17 and tried the spot again. That's when I got the deep ones within a couple feet of the others.

If it's not a trashy site, I definitely use the 17".

OP
OP
N

NJ Garrett

Apr 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I'll let you know if I take the plunge and buy one!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
thanx for the answer Jason. I too have heard that the 17" affords a bit more depth on coin-sized targets.

Such is not the case to be said for most machines. For most detectors on the market, the 9 to 11" coils are the "point of diminishing returns" on coin-sized items. Such that when you go to larger coils, all you do is increase coverage swath , and/or depth on larger sized items. NOT coin-sized items. And mind-you: there's always inherent draw-backs with "more coverage swath". Hence 9 to 11" coils are usually the stock-standard for this reason.

Only a few rare random examples exist, where you can indeed get coin-sized targets deeper (with the inherent drawbacks) when going to coils larger than 11". The Sov/Wot combo was/is one such example (very fishy to use though). And supposedly, so too is the 3030 + 17" another such example. But be prepared for a learning curve !!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found absolutely no problems (fishy-ness) or learning curve to using the 17" coil.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first started detecting, I was in the "bigger has to be better" mind set. After using several of the largest coils available for the detectors I have, I've joined the crowd that finds they use and get better results overall with the standard and SMALLER coils. Granted all coils have their good and bad points, but for their weight, and downside in trashy areas, I've gotten away from using them with any regularity.
luvsdux

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 15x18" butterfly coil for my Sov GT, it has amazing depth and I can pinpoint multiple targets under coil at same time.

I don't hunt with anything smaller than 15 inch coil. I have hunted parks with 15" coils and recovered coins from pocket spill s with no problems.

Just like any detector or coil, it just takes practice.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
You can bet the farm, at the end of the day, when all is said and done, after the cows come home, that the bigger coil is deeper. Is that a benefit? Well, you decide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread