Where would you start your search?

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've got permission to detect on this, what appears to be, old old house that has 2 different foundations (it was turned into a 3 story apt before it's remained empty for some years now), it has easily one of the largest / oldest trees I've seen in the downtown area that has history (this is one of the towns General Sherman rampaged through and was established right around 1800). I've located one 1955 penny, couple from the early 60's 70's and the rest were mostly current. I'm using a crappy Bounty Hunter VLF cheapy that I got used for $40, it's really difficult to differentiate between trash and things worth digging and it's depth on small objects is laughable. I dont have any silver or gold to test the discrim with so I have no idea what to listen for depending on where its set. I generally just leave the scrim on "just on" which seems to filter out most iron crap.

(heeding some good advice location taken down)

I know it's not much to go on.... but where would you think the best areas to concentrate on would be? I have till summer before she bulldozes the house. Broke and jobless atm, when I'm not job huntin I'm treasure huntin, so would be kinda nice to walkway with something of reasonable value. Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My method is pretty simple. If I get a repeat on a signal, I dig it up. There might be a quarter underneath the signal for bottlecap,etc.

OP
OP
A

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll keep that in mind, but if you were gonna sweep an old house like this where would you start? Front? Driveway? Backyard? I'll take some pics next time I go

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it as old of a site as you suggest and your time may be limited, I would first run over the lot and try cherry picking the good signals. This may tell you if it has been pounded by countless others before you. If you find good targets, it may indicate more potential... then I would concentrate on the faint signals(deeper) ones that others may have missed. Once you are satisfied with your coverage, then start digging all targets until you are out of time. BTW, when they doze the house, be there to search the ground that rested undisturbed below it..and there, dig everything.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Either side of the front door and all around that tree. Then either side of the walk to the curb (Street-view wasn't working)

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start on the drive way, looks very easy to grid. once you're done with that work around the house, starting from the front working around to the side. when working any area, pay closer attention to the spots where people would normally hang out, sit down, or do some type of move that could result in things falling out of their pockets. google map street views shows the area to be small, so you should be able to cover it in two days worth of time...

OP
OP
A

Aufish

Feb 3, 2015
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a suggestion on exactly where to hunt, but have you checked the Sanborn maps for that location? They may give you a little more insight into where to start.
North Carolina Maps

Omg thank you!!! Incredibly helpful info

Thanks for the input guys... freezing cold today, was beautiful weather all week until I got permission to start hunting haha

Ugh someone turn up the NC thermostat please :(

Last edited:

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can tell where the clothes lines where that would be a very good place. I have always had luck under the clothes lines.

JimK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread