I guess some of us just arent cut out for it?

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Personally I say good! Less people buy metal detectors...more stuff to find....less people out there for the little blue haired old lady to see and get upset with. This hobby is like a calling...you get it or you don't.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree, the less the better especially the lesser of the ones who come on forums and cry about not finding anything and begging for tips then begging for sites to hunt because they're too lazy or IQ deficient to figure something out on their own. For someone that's writes a column to just go one time and make up their mind that this is a horrible hobby is close-minded to begin with but the most offensive was the cut about exercise. Trekking through acres of fields and woods isn't a Sunday stroll around the block. Noobs,good riddance

OP
OP
DannyB.

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a link on the author. Looking at her credentials I wouldn't be surprised if this is a hit piece on detecting in disguise. In fairness I wouldn't say for sure without further research.

Emily Yoffe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I got that impression as well, after she said "taking things that don't belong to you"I don't remember the exact quote?insinuating taking things buried in the ground is stealing. Whatever.. I good conversation piece I guess.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you guys finished the read ...i gave up after she started rambling maybe 3 paragraphs in

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least she hasn't seen Diggers. Like to read what she says about them.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait. Now let's look it this:

"After being completely confused by the detectors offered on the Web, my husband called one of the retailers. He explained that we wanted a detector that would be easy for a 7-year-old to use, but that would be suitable for finding Civil War artifacts, since we live close to some known encampments.

The salesman found this hilarious. "Believe me, you're not going to find any Civil War artifacts. I've been doing this for three years and I've never found anything valuable." (Presumably, after this conversation our salesman enlisted and is now in Iraq leading the search for weapons of mass destruction.) The salesman also said not to worry about getting a metal detector that would be easy for our daughter. "She might go with you once, then she'll get completely bored and not want to do it again." Instead of taking this advice, my husband insisted on purchasing one, so the salesman recommended the $130 Tracker IV. Then, perhaps remembering what line of work he was in, he said, "You'll have fun," which turned out to be the equivalent of saying "bon voyage" to the passengers boarding the Titanic."

First, a dealer with three years of experience? This dealer sounds like they went to Wal-Mart and listened to a high school sales person.

Second, a BH Tracker for civil war relics? Not MY first choice.

Then they went to Maine to seek out civil war relics? She needs to review American History 101. Nothing fought in Maine.

She had trouble with a detector any "7 year old" can operate? Maybe the understanding limitations should have been lower, like something from Fisher-Price.

The salesman and husband both had their minds made up for her before she even started, as neither of them sounded very supportive.

It's people like them (and her) that I hope to avoid on a beach in the first place, and not just when I'm MDing.

This synopsis was doomed from the start, as not a lot of thought or time was put into "learning" the hobby.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we should ask permission to hunt her yard......obviously she hasn't......:laughing7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For better or worse the "retailer" for a Bounty Hunter Tracker could be Walmart, Radio Shack, Target or even Office Depot (just found them on on page one of a Google search for BH Tracker). Which is not to say a clerk at one of these places might not be a great detectorist. But that's not a good bet.

Cute story, though. THE ADMIRAL (my wife) thinks it is a bit "eccentric" for grown men to dig for change. She's not a big fan of jewelry, either.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was posted on T Net before, and seems to be written to lambase the MD'ing hobby, with negativity from beginning to end, including making fun of the detectorists legs (really?).

As for "keeping something that doesn't belong to them" has she ever bent down and picked up a quarter on the sidewalk, and kept it? If so, she has done the same terrible thing! Oh my!

She obliviously hated it BEFORE she even tried it and in no way gave it a fair and unbiased review. If that's what she is paid for somebody is really getting taken to the cleaners!
Her brilliance really shows thru with her Maine civil war relic hunting!
It's better for all involved if she leaves the "electronics" alone, wouldn't want her to perpetuate global warming now would we?

More like it's trying to raise the ire of detectorists with a jab in the eye.
Not worth our time, we have better things to do like find and preserve those historic relics for prosperity!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's 12 years old...

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The opinion is something like buying a guitar and being disappointed you didn't immediately become rich and famous.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately this article posted by an ignoramus with a bias, poles quite high on the Google search engine when the key words "metal detecting" is used as a search query.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread