Should I sale it? My first dug Confederate shell!

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys I don't want to give up this shell, it's my first and I was so pumped about it...I was offered $650 for this shell. I really have a hard time giving this up for some reason, I could use the money but don't really need it. What would you guys do? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423880152.087225.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423880185.104800.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423880213.954326.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423880238.395965.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423880344.630592.jpg

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it is a nice find a really nice find…..… But myself i have been in this for many years and have sold every thing i have ever found… To some that would be treasure and would pay good cash for it … But to me it is just scrap iron waiting for some one to through me some cold cash my way for it.. All my finds just mean $$$ to me ...

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Keppy! However I see it as scrap iron because I dont have a great deal of interest in civil war relics.

You do seem to have interest in it so look at it like this.....Whats the chances of finding another? Whats the chances of another one found being in same or better condition? Most of all if you sell it once the 650 is gone you will still need the money.

Its not a life changing amount of money so if you really like it keep it,unless you need the money to feed your family.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy is right. I am in this hobby for the fun of finding stuff. I have buckets of trash and I sold most of the gold & silver jewelry. But every once in a while I remember a certain ring and look for it an it's gone. I sold it. I still have the first two rings my son and I found in one hole. There is a tag on them in case I forget the info. They mean a lot to me.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Keppy! However I see it as scrap iron because I dont have a great deal of interest in civil war relics.

Yes i do not have any interest in any type of relic unless they bring me cash……. If i want to see a relic all i have to do is look into a mirror

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell anything that has cash value, including all the scrap metal I dig, and I spend the clad. The only things I keep are marbles, just cause I like them. I've left several CW shells in the ground where I found them, because they are still carrying an explosive charge. Several have gone off here in Atlanta that people have found and kept as souvenirs, some lost their homes, but were fortunately away when the shell decided it was time to complete it's mission. Several people were not lucky enough to be away when this happened. Those stories are all available on the internet if you want to check it out. A lot of the Confederate shells were charged with an orange looking powder because they added iron oxide which gave it a boost in power over regular black powder. All black powders are a mixture, and over the years, due to changes in temperature that affects this compound, a slow transformation occurs, then a form of nitro glycerin can build up in the shell, and it's pretty unstable.
The shell gurus will say everything is nice and safe, but they lost one of their experts a few years ago when a shell he was working on went off, so I really don't believe them myself.
It is an EXTRAORDINARLY NICE shell!!!! Congratulations on finding it, and I know you must enjoy it. Whatever you decide to do with it, good luck! Cheers!!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my ongoing detecting experience I've begun to leave the large pieces of farm, logging, and mining equipment behind as they ultimately are just heavy rusty iron with little real value. If I lived in an area where one could find artifacts from the Civil War and earlier, I might keep or sell the more unique pieces, but if it means more to you, keep it at least until you find something you like more to replace it.
luvsdux

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poisonivy, follow your heart.

I wasn't going to post this but decided too after all. In 92 I was working a beach and came upon two wedding bands, one sitting perfectly inside the other, so they were placed there not a drop. At the time I didn't pay it a lot of attention, heck it was gold. But later got to wondering why someone would place them like that and leave them.

Was it a man, or a woman, divorce or did one die. I can now clearly picture in my mind someone sitting there watching the sun come up with a heavy heart, perhaps it was their way of finally letting go, saying goodbye.

I sold those rings shortly after finding them, but god as my witness, I will always regret it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ihatepoisonivy

Ihatepoisonivy

Feb 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Gents for the inputs...I sincerely appreciate the thought in all of them...I don't know why I'm so attached to this stuff. I suppose it's the history in it all and my effort to keep it collected. The value in it all is just an afterthought...I wonder if someone of that war era during that time would want anything to do with a bullet, shell, button or anything of that matter....doubt it. I think I'm just gonna keep it, and down he road if my children find interest in it when I'm gone then great, if they sold it for some money to better there lives for whatever that was worth, then that's ok too.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I for one would definetly keep any such historical relic, I damn sure don't detect for profit. You can make more money picking up aluminium cans on the side of the road.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I for one would definetly keep any such historical relic, I damn sure don't detect for profit. You can make more money picking up aluminium cans on the side of the road.

Heck, I'm beginning to wonder if I can't make a profit in pop-tabs... *sigh*

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I'm only a packrat about certain things... I, for one, would not want that thing within 100' of my home, just in case. For sure it's a snazzy find but if I was in your shoes and someone offered me $650 for that lump of iron, I'd shake his hand so fast it'd make his head spin. That's a whole 'nother detector, or a nice road trip to a new spot. But that's just me.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If it means something to you then keep it, it's important to preserve items such as this. Congrats on the incredible find!!! And I to don't detect for profit...

Sent from a empty soda can!

65chevy

Aug 3, 2013
If it means something to you then keep it, it's important to preserve items such as this. Congrats on the incredible find!!! And I to don't detect for profit...

Sent from a empty soda can!

I agree with dieselram. And congrats on a awesome find, my son would go crazy if we found something like that. That's some great history.

Dieselram at least you got the whole can all I got was slaw.

GOD Bless
Jeremy

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got into detecting almost like I got into broadcasting. I thought I would make a lot of money and I would get the women. Didn't work that way but I loved it anyway for 30 years. When I got into detecting I thought I would find all this treasure and I would be set. When in reality I found that if I found enough clad I might be able to buy some batteries and a detector upgrade from time to time. I am not disappointed, the potential is still there. The only change is my motivation and expectations.

Last edited:

JR in Hohenwald TN.

Mar 15, 2009
I've dug alot of shells since 1985 in Vicksburg and sold everyone of them. After you hoard them a few years you loose the "i'll never sell my finds". The money at the times was just too good. But now looking back I wish I'd of held on a little longer just for the prices. Dug I don't know how many James squirell cages.Dug a rarity 10 sold it for $650 and a couple of the James Hot Shot bases for 6lbers which were unltra rare. Then James shells were $325-$400. Now I see people selling them $900+. Sold many duplicates to Tom Dickey and many other dealers when we went to shows. If $650 is good now, in 5-10 years at this rate it'll be $1100. Just my take on it.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poisonivy, I have thought about this posting for awhile, no idea why though. I want to state that I know nothing about ordinance or explosives. I do recall what slingshot spoke of, the shell expert getting blown up while working on one.

For your safety and that of your family, if you plan on keeping this please get it evaluated by someone that disarms them.

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How di d this get on this forum, StrangeFinding wedding bands always chokes me up, I think to much sometimes.
poisonivy, follow your heart.

I wasn't going to post this but decided too after all. In 92 I was working a beach and came upon two wedding bands, one sitting perfectly inside the other, so they were placed there not a drop. At the time I didn't pay it a lot of attention, heck it was gold. But later got to wondering why someone would place them like that and leave them.

Was it a man, or a woman, divorce or did one die. I can now clearly picture in my mind someone sitting there watching the sun come up with a heavy heart, perhaps it was their way of finally letting go, saying goodbye.

I sold those rings shortly after finding them, but god as my witness, I will always regret it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread