Sudden bad wavering syndrome. What is this?

F

fueller

Something happened today that I've seen before a few times but never this bad. I had been detecting for several hours, everything was about normal as far as signals go, when almost at once I started getting an almost continuous strong wavering. Sometimes I find this near strong power sources or around saturated, drying ground and can usually get rid of with a combination of ground balancing and lowering the sensitivity a bit but this time I could only stop it by turning the sensitivity waaaay down, so much that I could only hit surface signals and even then they were hard to pick out. I tried all the combinations of settings I could and nothing worked. I quit for the day (after trying another spot across town with the same results) but I'm curious if this happens to any of you? It rained pretty good recently, I wonder if the ground saturation/power line/atmospheric dust/sun spot/ufo/aurora levels all were just right to create this kind of interference or if it's something else at work. I don't think (cross fingers) it's a detector problem, although I suppose I can't rule that out. I'll try again tomorrow evening and hopefully the problem will be gone. Oh, using a Minelab Musketter if anyone is curious.

Upvote 0

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
I'd go with the UFO theory! LOL....

Seriously.... depending on the time of day and location, power companies sometimes bury their auxillary power cables. if it is a high demand time, they might kick in, thus creating a power field that you don't know is there. Also, if you use your detector constantly, they are just like a radio. Give it a break for a while and let everything cool down. My MXT does that at the beach sometimes when I have it set really sensative and get too deep in the water.

Chiz
8)

if all else fails, stick to the alien story!!!!

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Have you ever heard of "tingle voltage". It is a real phenomone(sp) and could be the problem. It would also go hand in hand with the buried cable idea that Chiz puts forth. Fred

OP
OP
F

fueller

Problem solved

Thanks for the input. I tried again today and it was 0% better, so I knew I had some kind of detector problem. After playing around with the different connections, I found I could clear up the problem by pushing the coil cord in by hand where it connects with the detector unit. So, I took the cord end apart and sure enough one of the wires had worked loose from the solder. Not wanting to wait for a warranty repair, I carefully re-connected the wire with a soldering gun and put everything back together. So far it is holding. I'll have to be more careful in the future, hopefully it will not happen again.

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
fueller = sometimes it happens if there is another metal detector too nearby - sometimes when the other detectorist is 30 or 40 feet away. if they are any closer than that i have to shut my detector down. wayne

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get that around crop circles. My detector starts to go haywire, until I put on my foil hat! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread