Would this "house" be worth detecting?

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My sister in law has a friend/former boss that used to live in a 3 million dollar home until it burnt down. Recently we went all went out for dinner and the subject of my detecting came up and she mentioned hunting the lot where the house was. I have no idea what is currently on the lot. I'm assuming pretty much everything has been dozed and the lot "cleaned" up.

If I could get permission from the owner, would this lot be worth detecting? I don't know how much if any jewelry or valuables were lost, but I'm guessing most of them ended up in the dump.

Just to add, this was not an old house.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would save a lot of time if we knew which sites were the best ahead of time.

The best place to detect is the spot where something valuable is. You just never know until you search it - and even then you may have missed something.

Is it worth it? Will have been if you find something. Look at the newspaper articles where people say: "we had no idea this was buried in our yard." MANY more cases of that than successful use of treasure maps or legend/code interpretation.

If you have time - go for it. But home dozed sites are tough. Aluminum, copper, iron, lots of trash. But on the other hand I pulled a nice sleigh/crotal bell out of such a site just as I was about to give up and went on to find a few silver coins. Whether that's worth the effort of 60 disappointing targets dug is up to you.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humm tough call, 3 mil value home, prob had a fireproof safe for the loot, you know that's gone, recovered. Some melted jewelry might be found, perhaps some expensive silverware, ya gotta remember those that have money are tighter with it then a, hummm don't think there is anything I can compare them too, tick on a hound dogs rear(there we go, had to really think bout that one.)

Worse case scenario you find a lot of trash, but hey we're never sure what's in the ground till we dig it up, so go for it.

farmerboy856

Mar 14, 2007
wi
Detector(s) used
whites v3i ,mxt pro, idx pro garretts pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say if you can get the ok give it shot you never know what might have went on at the site 150 200+ years ago granted the area around where the house was is sure to be a mess. It never hurts to try, I've researched and hunted several spots that i had my doubts about being worth trying and most of the time I was right until last spring. My wife and I decided to hunt spot on a local main rd that I was sure was going to be another bust, I don't think i had recovered my first deep nice sounding nail and she came running back with a washer a penny that can't be read a v nickel and beautiful 1904 o barber half said it was a bouncing pull tab quarter signal. It was cute she keep saying you always told me to dig iffy signals! Anyways it won't hurt to try see if you can track down any history in that area might be surprised. Let us know if you get permission.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't spend my time there. It needs to be old and have a long history before I try, because even old homes are no guarantee of good finds.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What was on the site before the house was built?

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone for the advice. As far as what was there before the house, I don't know. I do know that the house was in a very upscale neighborhood on a lake. I think it's waterfront, but I'm not positive. If there is a beach, I would definitely hit that. From what I have seen, most homes just have a dock and not really any beach area.

Maybe I'll see if I can get permission and if I ever get hard up for a place to hunt I'll go check it out. It's about an hour from where I live.

Thanks again.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could always hit the area between the house and water, maybe a gathering there of well to doers or social events, same as the front lawn, you never know but like posted above thees probably alot of junk too. might not be at the top of the list site but i wouldnt rule it out.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey BL.... you gotta know that I want to leave a reply about you NOT being afraid to hunt a place with no treasure... because I have seen you hunt one already...

I'm just kidding with you. You never know until you hunt it. It sounds too new to be good, but you never know. If you found one gold ring, that would make the trip worth it. You could put a line or two in the water, MD the place, then reel in a couple of catfish and call it a day!

GL&HH!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really never know until you put coil to soil.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
always hunt old land, and it's all old, they don't make it anymore

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey BL.... you gotta know that I want to leave a reply about you NOT being afraid to hunt a place with no treasure... because I have seen you hunt one already...

I'm just kidding with you. You never know until you hunt it. It sounds too new to be good, but you never know. If you found one gold ring, that would make the trip worth it. You could put a line or two in the water, MD the place, then reel in a couple of catfish and call it a day!

GL&HH!

LOL Yea, most places I hunt don't produce so I might as well hunt this one too. :laughing7:

Here are some before and after pics of the house. I think I'll see if I can get permission. No since worrying about it until I find out if I can actually hunt it or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread