$300 budget for accessories. What would you buy?

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently sold a gun and spared up some free cash. Around $300. I currently use a Garrett AT Pro and love it. But it has no frills. Just stock. I've been eyeballing a 5x8 coil, but maybe that new garrett pinpointer AT...... Or maybe a nice shovel......hmmmmm

So. If you were me and wanted some nice Garrett accessories or a nice shovel, what would you do with $300????

Upvote 0

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just the other day I was looking into Anderson shafts. Is the difference really noticeable between a straight shaft and the stock Garrett shaft?

I think it is. I'm not one of those fellers that will defend his decision to buy something if it was a poor decision. The good Lord knows I've made enough of those anyway! The S-curved shafts are always tugging at the thumb-side of my wrist. Its like I always have my wrist at a stressful angle in order to detect. Its okay, but its not ideal. I would much rather have the grip like a pistol grip. In fact, I am really surprised that no one has made a shaft with a grip like an AR15, which is imho the best ergonomic grip made for the human hand. The Andersen shafts are well-made and seem to solve the issues I have created in my head. Is the Garrett shaft alright? Sure it is. Is the Andersen shaft better? By far it is.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put a sliced length of high-pressure hose over the tip with a bit of bungee cord to protect the edge from using it as a walking stick (and my SUV interior as well).

That's pretty clever, me laddie! :hello2:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is. I'm not one of those fellers that will defend his decision to buy something if it was a poor decision. The good Lord knows I've made enough of those anyway! The S-curved shafts are always tugging at the thumb-side of my wrist. Its like I always have my wrist at a stressful angle in order to detect. Its okay, but its not ideal. I would much rather have the grip like a pistol grip. In fact, I am really surprised that no one has made a shaft with a grip like an AR15, which is imho the best ergonomic grip made for the human hand. The Andersen shafts are well-made and seem to solve the issues I have created in my head. Is the Garrett shaft alright? Sure it is. Is the Andersen shaft better? By far it is.

Those same issues were in my head too. Plus 1 on a straight shaft!

OP
OP
J

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update! After much searching and research I decided to purchase the new Garrett pinpointer AT, a set of Garrett underwater earphones, replacement Garrett bolt and washers, some coin collector books and a uncirculated set of 2009 lincoln bicentennial Pennies. Throw in some shipping and handling and I went exactly to $300! That 5x8 coil is in my crosshairs next. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wouldn't the 09 only be a centennial?? 1909 to 2009 :icon_scratch:

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd recommend the Pro Pointer, The 5x8 coil, and the Predator "Little Eagle".
Its a smaller shovel, but its awesome!

~Tejaas~

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update! After much searching and research I decided to purchase the new Garrett pinpointer AT, a set of Garrett underwater earphones, replacement Garrett bolt and washers, some coin collector books . . .

Good plan on the books. if you get serious into collecting a grading guide or two will be very handy as well.

If you get on a site like abebooks.com you can hunt up used copies of books. A set of the thee H. Glenn Carson Coinshooter (I, II, & III) books is worth having and can be had for under $10 each.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For that kind of money, I'd buy someone to follow me around and dig all my beeps!

Mike

OP
OP
J

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bicentennial. 200th anniversary of his birth.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Propointer, I don't know if whites has corrected it yet, but the button on the Bullseye was poor quality.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
in your search have you come across a beer holder for a detector? Until now I have to make my wife go along just to hold my beer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread