$300 budget for accessories. What would you buy?

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently sold a gun and spared up some free cash. Around $300. I currently use a Garrett AT Pro and love it. But it has no frills. Just stock. I've been eyeballing a 5x8 coil, but maybe that new garrett pinpointer AT...... Or maybe a nice shovel......hmmmmm

So. If you were me and wanted some nice Garrett accessories or a nice shovel, what would you do with $300????

Upvote 0

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5x8 coil is a beautiful thing. You'll never regret that purchase. I think you've answered your own question, really. I have a Lesche Sampson t-handle. Good shovel, but for how I use it, I think I would prefer the relic-hunter better. If all you do is cut plugs, you may only need a hand digger. Also - and this is only MY opinion, but the shaft on the ATP is the suck. I put an Andersen water shaft on mine, but I mostly use it in the river anyway.

OP
OP
J

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the other day I was looking into Anderson shafts. Is the difference really noticeable between a straight shaft and the stock Garrett shaft?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save another $75 and by a the DFX that is for sale in the classified.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ProPointer or the new one for sure, Lesche digger too. Spend the rest on a gold test kit and a diamond tester if you hunt for jewelry.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Higgy :) Buy the 5x8 you will love it... Get a Lesche 31" Sampson T handle... My Pro Pointer At will be here before the weekend :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatcha got now? Where and what do you hunt?

A nice scoop for sand?

A Lesche #85 trowel for sod?

Nice finds belt pouch & belt? (AWP at Lowes).

I can recommend the Model 58L Dixie shovel from Predator Tools (same place to get a Lesche digger). http://predatortools.com/item_details.asp?ID=17

Last edited:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
5x8 for sure. Maybe mini or full sized Sampson, double serrated. ProPointer AT is a must have if you have no pinpointer. But if you already own a good pinpointer, I would say its more nice to have not a must have. Other nice things:

rock tumbler........really a must have for those of us that hunt beaches
sand scoop.......only necessary for beaches
Lesche dig tool.........even with a Sampson, I would never give up my Lesche, last a lifetime
Lesche and/or Sampson sheath.........the sheath that comes with the Lesche sucks. A nice Bomber sheath for the Sampson or Lesche is nice and can be made to hold the pinpointer too

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where do you like to hunt and what do you hunt for? I love my 5x8 coil for parks and yards. If I had a separate beach machine I would probably leave it on full time.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1. Good Pinpointer
2. Small Coil
3. Good Shovel

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are good choices, call me and I'll try to get you all three within your budget. The 5X8 makes the detector lighter and separates better, the pinpointer helps with recovery time, and the shovel helps your back!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are all things i would look at too, second coil, pointer would be my first to options right now i would use the money to fly someplace warm....tired of winter...

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I've been looking at the Lesche shovels. What lenght do you think I would need to help me stand back up? Bum knee this year.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Dixie 58L shovel (Predator/Lesche) and it's a hair over 37" with a ball handle. Is a good getter-back-upper (I have a bum knee from surgery after a truck steering column tried to eat me).

I put a sliced length of high-pressure hose over the tip with a bit of bungee cord to protect the edge from using it as a walking stick (and my SUV interior as well).

HPIM0593_zps5cae1393.jpg

Gets a lot of use around the house and farm as well. Handy little bugger.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello johnathon78,

Looks like you have enough for the coil, pinpointer and digger! Shop around. "Airscapes" has a point about the DFX if you should need another detector. I own a DFX and have not been disappointed!

Regards,

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a noticeable difference in weight distribution. I made a straight shaft out of a lower shaft and some pvc fittings. Works great with total cost of about 20 bucks.

OP
OP
J

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I'm really digging that predator tools shovel. May go that route. Also that new pinpointer is too sweet to pass up seeing as how I enjoy water hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread