Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the county list of muni-codes doesn't have any law or rule saying "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not dis-allowed :) And if you found something in county parks code that said no md'ing, don't confuse county PARKS with necessarily meaning "all county land". Because remember not all county land is county PARK land.

But actually, as long as you avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments, well .... then .... does anyone really care ? But that's just me.

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the following in Section V of the Rules and regulations of the Lake County Forest Preserve website. While it doesn't say the verbiage specifically "Metal Detecing", it does outline what it is that we are basically doing which is looking for misplaced items...

SECTION V
USES PROHIBITED
A. Protection of District Property. No person shall commit any of the following acts on District Property:
(i) destroy, deface, paint, alter, hide, change, break, mark upon, damage, take, remove, or excavate any District Property;
(ii) tamper with, enter, climb upon, damage, take, or remove anything from any District Personal Property;
(iii) deposit into any refuse container any garbage, trash, refuse, or other material that was not generated in the course of normal, lawful use of District Property;
(iv) deposit, dump, or place any ashes, trash, rubbish, paper, garbage, refuse, debris or junk, except in containers provided by the District for such purpose;
(v) climb, stand, sit or walk on any District Property not designed or intended for such use; or
(vi) collect, gather, acquire or scavenge for lost, misplaced, or abandoned personal property, including without limitation, golf clubs, balls, clothing, other than personal property owned by such person.
B

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Army Joe, can I save you some time ? Don't metal detect public property anywhere. Yup: keep out of any sandbox, no matter how innocuous. Any beach. Any park. Any school. Any forest. Etc...... Because if you find such things to inherently mean "no detecting", then I can save you some time: Such verbage that can be construed to include md'ing, is in EVERY city and park's codes, EVERYWHERE. Eg.: things that forbid "removing", "collecting", "harvesting", "disturbing" , "altering", etc..... If you believe that such things automatically forbid md'ing, then stick to private property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread