Need some advice from those experienced in MDing in NC. Beach and Mtn info.

Mognar

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2015
Apex, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, BH Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some advice from those experienced in MD'ing in NC. Beach and Mtn info.

Hi all!

I want to start of by saying that I'm very glad I ran into this forum; it's partly to blame for my new found addiction :) The people here seem great and the advice, posts, etc can be very informative.

Okay, so on to the post... I'm a single dad with an incredible 6 year old little girl. I'm not sure who is more exciting about MD'ing, me or her :) And I'm looking for some advice on several aspects of MD'ing with my goofball.

1. I live in the Raleigh area and have only been to the coast a handful of times. I know that you can only MD from so and so south on the coast here in NC. But for someone who doesn't know the coast at all, that doesn't help. Could someone name a beach or two that would be good for us to MD'ing where we would have a chance at some finds? I'm not looking for anyone's secret spots or anything like that, just a good beach where we can go, have some fun, shell hunt, MD and have a chance at some finds. Since it's a 2 and a half hour drive, I can't really go and scout out areas before hand. Basically I just want to take my daughter to the beach, have a good day and also be able to find some "treasure", which would make her day :) And daddy wouldn't mind a chance at a good find here or there :) This is something I would like to do a few times before the summer ban kicks in. Most likely every other weekend make a day trip to the coast, so open to checking out new areas each trip.

2. Pretty much the same question, but looking for something in the mountains... for days it's too hot to hit the beach (have to worry about the little one and sunburn :) Anything up to a 2 and a half hour drive of the Raleigh area would be fine.

3. We go camping at Badin Lake in the Uwharrie National Forest several times a year. I ran across a post saying that you can get a MD'ing permit for the forest and all you had to do was fill out paperwork. Does anyone know anything about that? I haven't had much luck finding any info out on it. Also, would there even be a point to MD the woods around the lake there? Would we have a chance of finding anything?

And lastly, 4. The same as questions 1 and 2, but areas where we might be able to bring our puppy with us. We have a 70 lb, 7 month old German Shepherd. Any areas where we can take him with us and let him roam around would be great, either the beach or mountains. Would prefer to take him out with us and let him stretch his legs, but know that may limit us.

I would be open to any and all advice on where to go. I feel odd asking as a newbie as I'm sure there are thousands of "What's the best place to go" and it has to get old... but I'm hoping since this is a request for places I can take my little one me, it would be deemed a little different.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mog

If anyone can delete the duplicate thread with the bad title, I would greatly appreciate it :)

Upvote 0

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
B Everett jordan lake?

Just looking on my map here on my iPad that looks like a close destination. I don't have the slightest clue what this lake consists of but it may be worth a shot. All lakes have local swimming holes or even beaches. Once weather permits you may be able to bring dog, detect and get some swimming in all in a day.

Some of my better finds have been at a lake just 1hr from home. People are sometimes so excited to swim in the hot summer months they dive in with Jewlery and all then lose it. Good luck!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uwharrie NF you can get a permit, but they only have certain designated areas you can search. You HAVE to remain in those precise areas. IF they allow you a permit I doubt it will be at the swimming area. Most people detecting there probably look for nuggets.

OP
OP
M

Mognar

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2015
Apex, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, BH Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all.

Jordan Lake is a state park, which we can't MD in at all... Harris Lake is a county park. I actually went there my first day out and found out from a polite ranger? that Wake County Parks are the same as State Parks, no MD'ing unless looking for a lost item and accompanied. I can't find any specific info on Lake Wheeler right now if it's a county park or not... My guess is that it is, but I will keep looking until I know for sure.

Still open for more suggestions :)

And thanks again for the time and help!

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to tnet.

Only help I can offer is for the beaches:
Myrtle beach is detector friendly, but hit hard.
Outer banks, north of the Oregon inlet bridge to Corolla. DO not go south of the Oregon Inlet bridge, that is Pea Island national refuge, national seashore all the way down to Ocracoke, no metal detectors.
Sand Bridge in Virginia
Virginia Beach

I'm sorry but I do not know about the leash laws at any of these beaches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread