Should i go for it or ask permission??

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Long time lurker here but I have somewhat of a dilemma. I am in Southern California and there is 60+ year old house that I pass on the way to work every day. The city owns it but I guess it had been converted to some type of shelter. The city did not renew their lease with the shelter and gave them the boot and it is now all boarded up. It appears they are going to doze the buildings and add the land to an adjacent park. Should I call the city to ask permission or just go for it early on a weekend morning? If it was going to be something other than part of the park I would definitely be seeking permission. Thanks all.

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My theory is , if you don't own it get permission.

captn cupcake

Apr 10, 2005
minnesota
Detector(s) used
ace 250
i say it's deserted if there are no no trespassing signs. hey you pay taxes so you helped buy it, go for it. till someone gives you the boot. don't tear it up.

darrin

now i'll get ripped but thats what i'd do.

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
I'm with the captn, the way I see it is The People own it, you are one of The People so you own it. God only knows what kind of red tape it would take to get 'permission' to MD. As long as you aren't destroying anything a cop might give you the 'move along' but for the most part they have better things to do on Sat. morning than screw with MD'ers. I say go for it.

D

Doctor Detroit

Normally I'd say to get permission, but in this case just go for it. If asked to stop, do so. Just don't leave a mess with any digging.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Puckhead,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. This is a great site with a lot of super people who know a lot about all aspects of metal detecting & treasure hunting.

If the city owns it and they will tear it down anyways, I would ask for permission. Just speak with the director of the parks department, mayor, or another division of government. Try to speak with the person in charge directly. If you speak with a secretary, they usually have no authority and will tell you no. It is better to have the boss tell you yes. But definitely get permission and get it soon before they tear the place down and make the hunting much more difficult. Hope it helps.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with the crowd that says that if its boarded up and appears to be abandoned
and there are no / No Trespasing / signs then I would hunt it without much thought.
I have hunted places like this in the past, and almost never have been told anything.

There is a saying "Its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"

But the truth is, if you won't hunt it someone else will, and by the time you figure out who to ask permission from, then there will probably be nothing left.. (may be nothing left now)

But if someone stops and says anything, tell them you are having fun in your hobby and your looking for a little pocket change and if there is a problem you will leave...

that's it....
Good luck.
Richard

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Every case is different and usually I'd seek permission but it this case I'd probably just hunt it.

I could be wrong but this is my first reaction by what you wrote.

Badger

OP
OP
P

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Thanks for the replies. I went for it for 4 hours Sunday morning. I managed a meager $0.76, but my first silver, a 64 Rosey. A lot of trash and had my heart jump when I found what I thought was a gold bracelet but once cleaned turned out to be a crappy plated or painted knockoff. Oh well.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
always ask if you get the green light--- ;D hit it hard ,fast and often

LEOJ

Jun 20, 2006
Logan County, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. II
Puckhead--
This is situation that many detectorist find themselves in. It really shouldn't even be a question in my opinion..... When you walk upon private property to detect without permission it could perhaps give property owners the impression that ALL detectorist are disrespectfull and have no regard for any rules...

It's kind of like the guy who doesn't own a dog but cleans up dog poop from his front yard just about every day from the neighbor hood dog walks... Before you know it, this guy hates all dogs and all dog owners, just because of one or two disrespectfull individuals..

You do what you want. But please remember, that you're not the only one out there who enjoys the hobby...

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
LEOJ said:
Puckhead--
This is situation that many detectorist find themselves in. It really shouldn't even be a question in my opinion..... When you walk upon private property
property owned by any municipality is not private but public,and as long as there are no codes or laws against MDing on this municipalities property then go for it.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I'd also say that here, City property is public and normally available. It's definitely easier to detect the soil before it's disturbed or dozed. However, if the do then go back later. Watch for non metallic items such as marbles and go back after a good rain.

OP
OP
P

puckhead

Apr 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
LEOJ,

I agree with you 100% with regards to private property, but this is owned by the city and I know it for a fact because I pulled the title info from the county records office. I even had that info with me in case someone asked me any questions, no one did.

On a side note, I asked a local school principal, via email, about the possibility of detecting on her school grounds during a weekend when no classes were in session. Her reply was a terse "no metal detecting is allowed on school grounds". I thanked her for time and response but also inquired if this was school policy or a district policy to which she has not replied. I will contact the district next week. Has anyone ever heard of NOT being allowed to detect on a public school site after hours?

This is one of the reasons why I felt it would be easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission on this city owned boarded up homesite. Thanks again for the replies all.

LEOJ

Jun 20, 2006
Logan County, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. II
Right on, Puckhead--
I'm sorry. I suppose I'm pretty sensitive about the issue. Anymore, I put quite a bit of effort into gaining permission to get on private properties. Some times just to find that someones already been there without permission. As far as hunting properties like court houses and such. You know, city and county owned properties? I usually always make an effort to contact someone. It just seems to make my hunt of the property a little more relaxed. I hardly ever get a NO from the city and county folks around here...

Anyway, with all that said. After hunting public properties for the past twenty years or so, I'm finding that now days, the older private properties produce the kinds of quality finds that I'm really looking for... So, I'll just stick to knocking on doors for now and good diggin to you..........Joel

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I restate my policy "property owned by any municipality is not private but public,and as long as there are no codes or laws against MDing on this municipalities property then go for it." Such as public school property ! If there is no law being broken, then there is no crime being committed. Thus MD first and let them ask questions later.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead. I've been doing the schools for several months now. The only one I asked about was a school I went to on a monday holiday. There were a few folks around and I asked one of the teachers for permission. she checked with the principal and he said no problem. Since then I've been to several local schools when there is limited activity and no one has ever said a word to me about not hunting.

I do avoid the schools when there are big events such as soccer or t-ball or a bunch of kids playing.

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I had an interesting situation recently. I have hunted the various schools in my city numerous times. There are no laws against hunting on public property or posted signs. I've never been bothered til a few weeks ago. While detecting a school I've done dozens of times, a fat guy in a van pulled up and told me I had to leave (I later found out he was the head of the city school custodians). My response was "no I don't". He then said I was trespassing. I said in a rather angry tone "I can't trespass on public property, I'm a taxpayer". He got all red and started yelling that I had to leave. It just so happened that at the same time, some police officers were taking down an automated speed sign for the night. I walked directly over to them, detector in hand and said that the guy was kicking me out. Their first response was "he can't do that, it public property and you're a taxpayer, right?". It was perfect timing. They said only the police could kick me out and to go back to doing what I was doing. They said that as long as I replaced my divots, it was fine to detect on ANY public property. By the time I turned around, the angry fat guy was gone. So I guess my point is, even if someone tries to stop you, don't take it as the truth. Learn the local laws and stand up for your rights.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread