Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Missus and I just got back from Myrtle, and life was good. Despite the poor weather, we had a wonderful time eating and drinking, and we still strolled the beach anyway. It felt like a ghost town. Our room was on the 17th floor and was positioned so that we had a splendid view of the north - both beach and Ocean Blvd. There were times that we'd sit out on the balcony and the street below would be completely-void of cars and people. I am certain that a sunny day in August would find the same street crowed and chaotic.

I took my Deus and although I did not have a lot of time to use it, I did have a couple good and interesting scores. Our section of the beach was totally scrubbed clean by the beach groomers. I found half of an old-school pop top and a bottle cap or two, but they were rare. It was my first time out this year and first time out with my Deus. I was wondering if I had it set right. I've spent hours and hours reading the Andy Sabish book, watching every Deus video I could find, and the Deus owners manual had a permanent parking spot at the toilet since the first week in January. Even though I was studied up, I still couldn't shake the feeling that I had the setting wrong or maybe I just wasn't holding my jaw right or something.

Anyway, Missy had to study for a paper. She's getting her Master's, and even though we were on holiday, she had a final paper to turn in, so there was a little time for me to roll and stroll. I Left her in the room with her face buried in her laptop, and took the rental car out for a spin. One of my research methods is to talk to people and casually ask them loaded questions, like, "Are you a local?", and if so, then a whole bunch of questions. "Where did you play as a kid?" "Where did you go swimming? when you were a kid?" "What's the oldest part of town?" This type of subtle investigative I find indispensable. There is really no substitute for it in my humble opinion.

So this waiter at an oyster bar was a local kid. Aside from telling me where I could get the best fried chicken dinner, he also told me about an old place up the coast a bit that was once a school, but someone bought it and made a house out of it. He gave good directions, and I drove right to it. After a doorknock, the lady owner was very happy to say sure go for it, and I beeped around for a bit. She said the schoolhouse was built in the '20's, so I really wasn't expecting anything good, but a nice 1920 SLQ came popping right out at me!

After my heart rate slowed a little a few swings later and the holed 1944 wheatie came up. Odd to have a holed Lincoln imho. Its the first I have ever seen. I can't see a reason in the 20th century to do it. Someone must have been envisioning a charm bracelet maybe? All in all I found a few Lincolns, and a Roosie, but I condensed all of it into what I thought was most-interesting over the whole trip.

The pennies and the SLQ from that site were weirdly-tarnished. Dark. Never saw a quarter - or any silver for that matter - with a dark tone to it like this. Must be the soil there.

Oh and I almost forgot! The presidential dollars were a sight find right in a gravel parking lot we were cutting across while walking. A glint of gold caught my eye, which was turned toward the ground because of the pouring rain. I thought it may have been one of those souvenir coins they screw $4 out of you at Ripleys or something, so I bent over to pick it up and the other two were right under it in the sand. Imagine my surprise! I was hoping a for a no-lettering edge, but no luck there.

So there is my vacation report. I feel 10 pounds heavier from all of the delightful Southern food, and all the good beer and raw oysters. Above all, I miss the Southern Folk. Such good people. Friendly. Courteous. Well-mannered. The minute we set foot in Boston, I felt like people would be happier to kick me in the face - everyone walking around with sour looks like they got something rammed up their butts.

Anyway, we had a wonderful time, and I didn't get skunked, and thanks for reading! :hello:

I found a few Lincolns, and a Roosie, but I condensed all of it into what I thought was most-interesting over the whole trip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good run, Higgy. I used to do the beach North of the Breakers for a good stretch, but never found anything like the two you pulled. I'll have to remember to "ask" like you did.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good run, Higgy. I used to do the beach North of the Breakers for a good stretch, but never found anything like the two you pulled. I'll have to remember to "ask" like you did.

I have more luck just by asking and chatting it up with people. It takes a lot out of me, because I suffer from agoraphobia quite badly. My wife says that going to a bar and talking to people is, "good for me." Yeah right.

I learned a lot from this trip. This is the first time that I have traveled with my detector. I'm glad I had the Deus. So easy to take apart and pack. Just a fine machine all around for that aspect. Next time we go, I expect to have a dedicated beach machine in addition to my Deus, so packing logistics will be different. I was hoping we'd have some really stormy seas and a cut would form on the beach. No such luck. By the way, I only saw one other MDer on the beach while I was there.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol.................going to the bar is all part of Myrtle (or anywhere).

I always tried to find out where the locals eat their seafood. Found a few out of the way raw bars that way, especially in Daytona.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunt!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You miss 100% of the "Swings" you don't take. Congrats on some great finds!

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds, and thanks for the nice words for us southern people.

Funny thing. I spent a whole career in the US Military. I met all kinds of people from all kinds of backgrounds. The ones who I made friends with that are still my friends to this day are the ones from The Southlands. Maybe I was a rebel in a former life?

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You miss 100% of the "Swings" you don't take.

That's a pretty good sentiment. Something to live by. Its funny how life is so turned around sometimes. I went to Myrtle with hopes of diamond rings on the beach and wound up with something completely different miles from the beach. :dontknow:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Higgy... that SLQ is just awesome. I have yet to find one. Congrats.

Glad that the Carolinas could furnish a nice piece of treasure. GL&HH!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds .. The last time i went to Myrtle beach i stayed about 25 minutes north in Ocean Isles North carolina .. A lot less people there and almost a beach to ones self in Ocean Isle… …And we still took the short drive down to Myrtle beach every day…………...But you had the beach in Myrtle to your self .. So that was nice..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread