Finally... Sounds funny, but I FINALLY found my first wheatie!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1940S. Found it in an old house lot (the house was torn down last year). It was the ONLY thing of value I found.. Pulled about 5 pounds of trash out of the lot. Found it at the base of the old tree that was in the front of her yard. The house was torn down after she died last year, and its just across our street to the neighborhood.

We checked my son's penny collection (blue books), and found he'd already had a 1940S. Was disappointing, but we tossed it in the "Variation" slot, just because it's cool to remember!

I've pulled $42+ in clad this year (got the detector in January), found 11 rings (3 gold!), and hadn't found a wheat penny, yet.

I still laugh at myself at how excited I get when I find a penny. It's SO silly, but I can't help it!

Does the following happen to you? I tell people about my incredible find (wheatie) and they get all excited, too. They then ask what it's worth and I tell them about 3 cents. Then they just look at me funny. On the flip side, one of the guys I told STAYED excited, and even asked to borrow my second detector when I go out next time (Please take me with you!) I think that's the kind of guy I'd like to share stories of finds with. LOL!

Not found any silver coins, yet... but that'll come, too, I suspect!

Skippy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Nah, I probably just got all excited reading it, and read it as 42 of them!

Skippy, I dig (pun) your outlook on trash. You have the discipline & it is paying off with those ring finds. You're killing it!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Skippy, I dig (pun) your outlook on trash. You have the discipline & it is paying off with those ring finds. You're killing it!

Sometimes "Killing it" means BAGS of aluminum can-slaw (like yesterday). I netted 82 cents for my couple hours of trash clean up. Had to laugh at myself. Had an exciting moment when my son called out that he'd found a silver pendant. I called over to him to check if it said 925. He looked at the back and said, "No, I think it says 525." I was floored! 14K pendant of that size? (couple inches in length at least an inch and a half in width. I congratulated him and told him 525 was 14K. He was stoked! But something told me, "go check." I went over and first glance at the pendant told me "NOT GOLD." and it very likely wasn't silver. I asked to see it, and turned it over. There was NO marking! I asked where he saw 525. He said it's in the markings. Poor kid is so desperate to find treasure he's inventing hallmarks. LOL

A quick magnet test at home revealed non-ferrous. I ran it across a piece of paper and it left a nice grey mark. PEWTER.

Ah well... What does that have to do with trash. I dunno... Just typing away here. :)

Today I'm going to hit some ballparks at lunch. I plan to hit the outfields. It would sure be cool to find some more jewelry! It's been almost a week since my last ring. LOL

Skippy

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes "Killing it" means BAGS of aluminum can-slaw (like yesterday). I netted 82 cents for my couple hours of trash clean up. Had to laugh at myself. Had an exciting moment when my son called out that he'd found a silver pendant. I called over to him to check if it said 925. He looked at the back and said, "No, I think it says 525." I was floored! 14K pendant of that size? (couple inches in length at least an inch and a half in width. I congratulated him and told him 525 was 14K. He was stoked! But something told me, "go check." I went over and first glance at the pendant told me "NOT GOLD." and it very likely wasn't silver. I asked to see it, and turned it over. There was NO marking! I asked where he saw 525. He said it's in the markings. Poor kid is so desperate to find treasure he's inventing hallmarks. LOL

A quick magnet test at home revealed non-ferrous. I ran it across a piece of paper and it left a nice grey mark. PEWTER.

Ah well... What does that have to do with trash. I dunno... Just typing away here. :)

Today I'm going to hit some ballparks at lunch. I plan to hit the outfields. It would sure be cool to find some more jewelry! It's been almost a week since my last ring. LOL

Skippy

Haha, poor guy! I have found a Movado watch, huge gold serpentine necklace, 2 bracelets, 4 rings and numerous earrings. All junk! The only decent jewelry I have found is a .925/CZ necklace, a silver earring and 2 antique pocket watch cases from pre-1903. You are definitely doing it right. He who digs the most trash has the most chance of finding gold! I think my problem is a low population & alot of low income people that just don't have the gold to lose in the first place, lol. Keep up the good fight! I keep a magnet in my pouch, if non ferrous, usually a quick scratch test will reveal the junk under the plating. I have a test kit for gold, but have not had to use it on any finds yet.

Last edited:

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is funny what we get excited over. For some an old coin, others a relic from days past, and for some jewelry. For me it is the jewelry. I found 2 gold rings last year and 16 silver. That is what gets my heart pumping. A wheatie will put a smile on my face too. I think the thrill of the hunt is what makes me happy the most. Finding something cool is great but the excitement fades and I have to go back out and find more. There is nothing like a sunny spring morning and having a site all to yourself, fresh batteries, and time.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is funny what we get excited over. For some an old coin, others a relic from days past, and for some jewelry. For me it is the jewelry. I found 2 gold rings last year and 16 silver. That is what gets my heart pumping. A wheatie will put a smile on my face too. I think the thrill of the hunt is what makes me happy the most. Finding something cool is great but the excitement fades and I have to go back out and find more. There is nothing like a sunny spring morning and having a site all to yourself, fresh batteries, and time.

Amen brother! Mike what are you swinging, an F5?

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I am. Had a good first year with it. Just chomping at the bit to get back out there. Did buy a used Minelab Explorer this winter but was broken when it arrived so sent back and got a refund. Now I have to wait till the end of the year to hopefully try for another Minelab. My goal is an ETrac. Love my F5 in the mean time.

lcollins

Oct 29, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705 and CTX 3030. Garrett Pro Pointer and Garrett AT pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, Trash is my THING... I find so much of it, I have to take out the garbage can in the garage about once a week extra! I only take pictures of the good stuff, but one of these days, I'm going to collect it all. The problem is that I usually have to dump my trash once or twice at the parks just to keep the bag from overfilling.

Part of the draw to this hobby for me is knowing I'm making things BETTER by metal detecting. It's a feel good moment, every time I pull some sharp can-slaw out of the grass and prevent some kid from cutting their feet!

I would never want to leave the impression that I don't dig as much or more trash than anybody else. I too only brag and post pics of the good stuff. If your not digging trash you are missing a ton of good targets and it doesn't matter what detector you are using.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I am. Had a good first year with it. Just chomping at the bit to get back out there. Did buy a used Minelab Explorer this winter but was broken when it arrived so sent back and got a refund. Now I have to wait till the end of the year to hopefully try for another Minelab. My goal is an ETrac. Love my F5 in the mean time.

Ya I was close to buying an F5. I like FT machines. Bummer on the Explorer. I know some guys who got Etracs though & are finding alot of silver at their old hunted-out sites.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would never want to leave the impression that I don't dig as much or more trash than anybody else. I too only brag and post pics of the good stuff. If your not digging trash you are missing a ton of good targets and it doesn't matter what detector you are using.

I guess the sarcasm didn't quite come through. I wasn't bragging that I love trash... I was lamenting the fact that it seems like that's 99% of what I dig! The fact I had to take the trash out extra only depressed me more. I'd like to find a way to dig LESS trash, frankly!

That being said, the second paragraph I wrote is what makes picking up the trash OK. I don't mind making things better... But I'm sure not there intentionally TRYING to pick up the trash! I try to take the joy in life where I can. Make lemonade thing... If I HAVE to pick up some sharp can-slaw, I might as well feel good about it by saying, "That's one more kid that doesn't have to get stitches!" ;)

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I had a good run this evening. Went to a park next to a school yard. The park had been cleared (amazingly EMPTY... only other detectorists could clear like that!). So, I walked to the soccer field on the school yard and hit the tot lot. BINGO!

Found 13 Quarters and totaled clad out at $5.29 today. Was banner day, and while there was plenty of garbage, not as much as usual. I even found a ring! Junk, unfortunately, but it was exciting none-the-less.

Love this hobby. I also totally DIG (see that pun?) the mason jar filling up with dug coins!

-Skippy

Vpbrian

Feb 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the sharpshooter 2 a decent one to start with ??

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I got excited on my first wheat, a 1955 which was the same year I was born and found many months after I started detecting.
Still love finding wheats and now it is 5 years later...hope that feeling never goes away.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got excited on my first wheat, a 1955 which was the same year I was born and found many months after I started detecting.
Still love finding wheats and now it is 5 years later...hope that feeling never goes away.

Oooh, that WOULD be a good find. When I find coins with my birth year, I always take a second look. Weird how we connect that way with things in our past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread