DOES WET GROUND AFFECT SIGNALS?

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get outside/hunting quickly! These are THE BEST times to hunt the conductivity is higher now and your machine will reach deeper targets too....

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wet ground can actually help give a deeper clearer signal. I also went to spots that I thought I cleaned out only to find silver coins that I didn't pick up right were I was before when the ground was really dry. Also got deeper hits with other things in the wet ground.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's great when the ground is wet,water is a great conductor. I try to go out when it's just rained a lot. My deepest hits have come from these times

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The water is a great conductor so go out there and get muddy !!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the electronic signal produced by the coil will tend to go deeper in damp soil as water in the soil helps conduct the signal better../ thus deeper depth

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caution if your site is full of iron! The wet ground will enhance and enlarge the iron halo making it much harder to find the good stuff. Some detectors don't like WET ground, some do. If you have a ton of chattiness in the wet, then wait a day or two for the ground to equalize. You'll have nice, damp soil, all the way down without the mess and without the falses.

Also note that if you have very dry ground to start, it can take a few days for all the water to filter down, otherwise you get a few moist inches on top and then hard, dry ground below.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Reminds me of the saying...Does a bear #### in the woods?

Not a polar bear,he does it on the tundra.

I just couldn't help myself..has to be all this snow here.:laughing7:

By the way....damp ground rules!!!!

GOD Bless

Chris

Attachments

• 87e9d1edeba38c3c0fec0bad230e228a.jpg
    87e9d1edeba38c3c0fec0bad230e228a.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 174

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love damp, moist soil. The tradeoff is getting pretty filthy. Worth it.

On the other hand, dry, parched grass is a horrorshow to dig. It sucks when you dig a plug and it crumbles in your hand even before you dig it up. I refuse to hunt mown grass in dry times, which is usually the best time for the beach! :thumbsup:

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think the 'halo effect' is caused by the oxidisation in the ground surrounding a long buried piece of rusting iron.

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, get out there. Wet dirt is the best dirt!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Caution if your site is full of iron! The wet ground will enhance and enlarge the iron halo making it much harder to find the good stuff. Some detectors don't like WET ground, some do. If you have a ton of chattiness in the wet, then wait a day or two for the ground to equalize. You'll have nice, damp soil, all the way down without the mess and without the falses.

Also note that if you have very dry ground to start, it can take a few days for all the water to filter down, otherwise you get a few moist inches on top and then hard, dry ground below.

OH, I've hit that. The chatter was unbearable. I had to wait until the ground wasn't soggy wet to get a decent signal. I think it's the difference between wet enough to be conducive to a great hunt, and simply being SOUP.

-Skippy

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was waiting for someone to break it to them.

I hate wet ground. Sure, it increases conductivity, but if you have black sand soil or high iron soil...look out. I chase false and wrong signals all day in this wet stuff. My pinpointer goes nuts when you stick it in the hole or when wet dirt attaches itself to the end.

Oct 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have returned to the same site 9 times now; each time i have left after exhausting all signals in the area, being roughly 10x10 ft.. I use the 'hourly' weather App on my phone to narrow down the time longer rainstorms will end, and head out to this site. Each time i've found something that i swear wasn't there before. Heavy iron sites (where the house has burned or been moved) may indeed be the exception tho.

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff to know about the wet ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread