POLL: Do you have a favorite coil? If so, why?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everybody!
Just wanted get a cross-section of what size of coils tnet members prefer. Smaller, (under 7" or so) or larger (over 8" or so)? Do you have a "go-to" coil that you always end up using more often than others? Why do you prefer it? What type of hunting do you usually do? Thanks so much in advance for any comments or info you can contribute. Scott

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the 12x15" SEF butterfly coils....

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the NEL 5.5 X 9.5 sharpshooter. I have one for My AT Pro and one for my Teknetics T2. They are light and well balanced and they give better signals, better separation and as much or better depth than the original coils on both machines. I have multiple coils for both and hardly ever use anything but the sharpshooter on either one.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the NEL 5.5 X 9.5 sharpshooter. I have one for My AT Pro and one for my Teknetics T2. They are light and well balanced and they give better signals, better separation and as much or better depth than the original coils on both machines. I have multiple coils for both and hardly ever use anything but the sharpshooter on either one.

You know, they have a new NEL for the F2, I believe it is a 9.5 x 5.5 as well. It's only about $100. I may have to try one.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the 8" DD coil on my Musketeer Pro and the 6.5" Concentric on my F-75.

This is for coin shooting through trash at older town parks and town commons.

I just upgraded my F-75 to the LTD2 software and bought a NEL Sharpshooter (9.5 x 5.5DD) and think that may be a great compromise for depth in areas well used over the years. If this gawd awful winter ever breaks I may find out. Another 6" of snow before tomorrow. Araarrrggghh!

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the 8" DD coil on my Musketeer Pro and the 6.5" Concentric on my F-75.

This is for coin shooting through trash at older town parks and town commons.

I just upgraded my F-75 to the LTD2 software and bought a NEL Sharpshooter (9.5 x 5.5DD) and think that may be a great compromise for depth in areas well used over the years. If this gawd awful winter ever breaks I may find out. Another 6" of snow before tomorrow. Araarrrggghh!

Nice info Charlie, hope to hear how the NEL works out! Hope you can get some detectable weather soon. I won't even tell you the temp here in SoCal...

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a sharpshooter for my t2 and 705 and they are both my favorite of all that I've tried.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have a favorite coil because no one makes the coil that I want.

What I want is a waterproof coil about 24"-30" wide by a few inches that I can tow behind me while diving.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig the 5x8 dd on my atpro.I guess I am most surprised by its capabilities.also make a long hunt easy

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Coils are like tools in the box. Each one has a job.

A hammer doesn't work well on a screw, although it will get the screw into soft wood.

Different coils for different jobs and different conditions. Each one has it's own merits, depending on what you are expecting to do with it.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
8x6 SEF on the V3i. Depth is the same as the D2 and it separates wicked.

OP
OP
atomicscott

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a favorite coil because no one makes the coil that I want.

What I want is a waterproof coil about 24"-30" wide by a few inches that I can tow behind me while diving.

Looks like you need to get some pvc & some copper wire & get to work, lol!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Coiltec 15" WOT as often as I can. Some places (like some parks and schools) are just too junky to use it though. There I use a 5X10 version or a 6" round.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer the concentric 950 on my Whites V3i, Its a dime killer!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like concentrics best overall. The 9" on my MX-5 seems to be about perfect size and coverage.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Atomicscott,

I really enjoy using the Garrett 5"x 8" DD coil, it can distinguish incredibly small distances between two targets using proper coil speed.

Regards,

556baller

Sep 22, 2014
Oceanside, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of the four coils that I have, I really like the 6X8 SEF. It's pretty much the middle of the road in terms of size.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread