Advice on a sand scoop.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

buddyb

Mar 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Garrett AT Pro
I have been wrestling with the same decision and reading many suggestions and advertisements. I am cheaper than you. I don't want to spend anywhere near $200. I met a guy in Myrtle Beach that had made his own and I was impressed by how well it was made. He made his scoop using 6" EMT (thin wall conduit) drilled with about 1\2" holes. He used small conduit for a 4 ft handle that was welded and well braced. It was very sturdy but not as heavy as it would seem to be. I have been unable to locate the 6" EMT but have found a place that sells short pieces of of thin wall tubing that is not galvanized. Galvanized would be preferred but I can wash it and spray with something like WD 40. I will probably make one before my first trip to the beach.
Sorry for the ramblings. Good luck and don't get like me with "analysis paralysis".

Fire9378

Mar 4, 2015
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
T-Rex Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last trip home in Feb, I decided to upgrade my current scoop. Had a little coffee can size one from Kellyco ( about $90). Problem with it was I would have to dig several scoops out to retrieve targets in the wet and dry sand.

Purchased a T-Rex original scoop. Cost was around $170. You have to buy the handle also at Home Depot for around $9. Well worth every penny spent. It's a little heavy but it has sped up my retrieval times. 1 maybe 2 scoops and its in the scoop. Built rock solid and should last me the rest of my life anyway. This scoop works great in the dry and wet sand, digs deep and moves a lot of sand. I have noticed that in the wet sand...gets really heavy. I basically drag it back out of the hole and dump it to check target location, but if you are close to the water it will clear out quickly. Hope this helps and good hunting.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys do yourselves a favor. I know the guy who designed the t-rex and he was impressed with what you will find at www.finderskeepers.buzz the scoops are well made and are light weight unlike the 8 lb t-rex. Go to the site and check out the sea otter scoops. You wont be dropping $200 on a scoop without a handle that's for sure.

Fire9378

Mar 4, 2015
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
T-Rex Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bzbadger - I looked up the site you suggested. Nice scoops. One of the selling factors on the T-Rex for me was the smaller holes. I find a lot of split shot and small earrings. Had a hunt one evening, thought I was going crazy. Would scan the hole, scoop, re-check the hole...no signal. Means in the scoop right? Shake out the scoop...nothing. Re-scan the area, Signal in a new area. I must have circled the area for 15 minutes. Only reason I found that earring was because it hung up on a hole. I must have looked like a true newbie that night. There was about 5-6 other detectorists out there. 2 of them sat and watched until I finally gave them the thumbs up sign. Funny now...not so much then.

Best advice...go to a shop and look at all the available scoops. I visited 3 before choosing. Everyone will choose what suits them best. If it gets the job done to your satisfaction...then that's all that matters.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hands down the Stealth 720i or 920iX from Chuck @ Stealth beach scoop are my favorites!

Absolutely, Rusty!

I first bought the RTG 5" scoop, which is about $140 or so. Indestructible. Heavy. Probably the best scoop under $200 that you can get. Then I bought a 720i Hybrid, and I absolutely love it.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only beach hunt about 2 weeks a year, so a stealth just doesnt seem to be logical. If I go with a long handle RTG scoop; should I get a 5" or 6" bucket? Also they make one with a wire bottom...???

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only beach hunt about 2 weeks a year, so a stealth just doesnt seem to be logical. If I go with a long handle RTG scoop; should I get a 5" or 6" bucket? Also they make one with a wire bottom...???

The wire bottom is only good for loose dry sand. I'd go with the 6" but the 5" works well also. The big feature that people like about the Stealth is the width of the opening, so the 6" RTG will definitely be a workhorse for you.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only assume from the picture of the otter scoop the holes look big but we've had it next to the rex and I'll say the otter holes are smaller than a dime so it would have to take a pretty small item to slip through. I don't want to use the maker's name of the t-rex but it gave him reason for pause when the two were compared. The otter weighing in at 2.2 or 2.2 lbs with handle and the rex at 8 without handle. Word is the rex may be going titanium to get it to the weight of the otter but that jumps the price 3 times higher.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
RTG 6" aluminum with 5/8" holes is all I use for surf, wet sand and beach hunts. It has served me well. I've drilled 20 additional 1/2" holes along the bottom and sides and attached 1/4" hardware cloth along the rear and bottom inside to catch small gold etc. also epoxied a small button magnet to the inside corner to catch any small iron, bottle caps etc. I have $135 invested in it. GL

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many scoops an they're all good in certain places and not so good in others depending on the holes, size of basket, handle angle, etc. For just dry sand I like the wire basket RTG Beach Master for its fast sifting, but it is to small for the water. For wet sand an in the water nothing is better than the Sunspot Stealth 720i or 920ix. They are wide and take a big bite to get the target before the hole fills in again. I am still undecided if I like the 90 degree or offset angled handle.
920iX 1.jpg 920ix. RTG Beachmaster.PNG RTG Beachmaster

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a very limited "beach" season. I hit a couple county parks at the lakeside swimming areas after the thaw and before the parks open on Memorial Day. Then again in the fall after Labor Day. So I have limited need and could not justify a long, stainless "real" scoop tool.

My solution was an aluminum RTG bend-over scoop. $34.99 A couple of the supporting vendors here carry it. VERY well made and light to carry - though not as heavy duty as a stainless.

723big.jpg

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a very limited "beach" season. I hit a couple county parks at the lakeside swimming areas after the thaw and before the parks open on Memorial Day. Then again in the fall after Labor Day. So I have limited need and could not justify a long, stainless "real" scoop tool.

My solution was an aluminum RTG bend-over scoop. $34.99 A couple of the supporting vendors here carry it. VERY well made and light to carry - though not as heavy duty as a stainless.

View attachment 1127099

That would be perfect for casual dry sand hunting, Charlie. :thumbsup:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the 6 inch...Ive used the 5 and 6...the 6 inch will get your target with much less digging...dump the sand and spread it with your foot to find the target, don't try to sift the wet sand ...RTG 6 inch aluminum is what I use for wet sand...I use the Stealth 720i in the water...the 720 will wear you out in the wet sand.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the one I am looking at. Has 6x11 bucket...48" overall and is $140.00 plus shipping.

Attachments

• scoop-RTGbb6scr.jpg
    scoop-RTGbb6scr.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 317
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would this be better than the solid bottom with holes for $125.00 ?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an aluminum 5" RTG Pro mini (very lightweight and good for summer fresh drop hunting) and a T-Rex but for deeper holes like you will be digging with a PI detector the Stealth is much easier to empty out when making multiple scoops down for the deepies!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread