Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been out in very cold weather and I've never had a problem with a detector. If it's real cold it usually effects the battery life first. It's possible could slow the electronics some in the detector but it would have to be extreme cold and for long periods.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually leave my detectors (BH Tracker 4 and Teknetics Delta 4000) in my SUV in case I see somewhere new to hunt, but I was wondering if at night the cold weather would harm them. It only gets in the high 20's, low 30's, but I'm not sure to bring them in or not.

Shouldn't be an issue unless you're in a situation where turning it on will result in condensation... This would pretty much only happen if you're moving the detector from a cold area to warm/moist area (and like a pop-can that's cold, condensation will form like sweat on the electronics as they heat up due to use... normal transfer won't be a problem).

Given that it's a pretty much guarantee that you're going OUTSIDE to use the detector (where it's already cold), it should be a non-issue. It takes quite a bit of real condensation to cause a problem anyway. Your detector will work in a fog, for example. :)

-SKippy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread