What else do I need to get started ?

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand that if I get hooked on this hobby then I can start looking into several different accessories. After I figure out what metal detector I want to buy and I have one in my hands then what is the next most essentials ? Can I get by with a shovel, hand spade, or what else, just for starting out ? I will worry about a sand scoop later if I decide to go along the river banks. As far as digging down and sifting through the dirt what can I get by without buying ? Or what do you suggest the bare minimums ?

Upvote 0

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a screw driver for years to probe and pop out shallow coins. Now days a Garrett "Carrot" is the best. You'll also need a carpenters apron with pocket for goodies and trash. In my neck of the woods you'll get a ticket if even seen with a Lasche or trowel in the parks or school yards.

How in the world did you come up with Garrett carrot being the best? It's only been out what a week. I would defiantly get a pinpointed but it is still early for the new garrett. For example the last had quite a few bugs early on best to give it a little time to prove it's the best. I think most would say the whites trx is at the top for now. Good luck with which ever you get. I've had 2 garrett and had problems with both. I also have the mine lab and whites and have had problems with neither.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a quick pass on this thread so may have missed if anyone else mentioned headphones. I strongly recommend headphones as they really merge you into "one" with the machine. Cheap ones will get you started, but I'd suggest buying a pair of the higher end for detecting such as Grey Ghosts, Killler Bees, or Sunrays when you can work them into your budget. If you detect where outside noise - traffic, wind, playground noise etc. are present you will be shocked at the difference in the tones you hear.
luvsdux

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a quick pass on this thread so may have missed if anyone else mentioned headphones. I strongly recommend headphones as they really merge you into "one" with the machine. Cheap ones will get you started, but I'd suggest buying a pair of the higher end for detecting such as Grey Ghosts, Killler Bees, or Sunrays when you can work them into your budget. If you detect where outside noise - traffic, wind, playground noise etc. are present you will be shocked at the difference in the tones you hear.
luvsdux

You just beat me to it. Headphones for sure. Also you need good digging conditions. Here home right now is a frozen wasteland full of deep snow! [emoji31]

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
i use the Eastwing Geo pick. The best on the market. If you find it too heavy then give a try to the new garrett retreiver II or the heavy Lesch pick (2lbs pick).

For those models, your arm will be broke before they will :-)

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of simply calling them all "pop tabs," to avoid confusion. :)

I hope not to find too many of those tabs as I wont be starting off in an area that is or was very populated. Older folks say there was an old wagon trail, and Ive seen the sandstone blocks from old bldgs/barns use to be standing and there have been older people that have said there was also an old church nearby. I think I will find several old nails and other old iron farm pieces. Who knows ?
Thanks

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope not to find too many of those tabs as I wont be starting off in an area that is or was very populated. Older folks say there was an old wagon trail, and Ive seen the sandstone blocks from old bldgs/barns use to be standing and there have been older people that have said there was also an old church nearby. I think I will find several old nails and other old iron farm pieces. Who knows ?
Thanks

That is a question only answered by................................................................digging it up.:laughing7:

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks

Crud, that sounds like a LOT of fun! Personally, I'd be out there discriminating out the Iron, and looking for signals that are coins and such... Not much of a relic hunter. I'll find old buttons now and then, but they just go into a jar for the gal at work who collects them.

Nothing around here is Civil War period, though, so Iron really is pretty much just nails and junk.

Skippy

RCDIGGS

Greenie
Apr 17, 2013
southeast NH
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE, BOUNTY HUNTER PLATINUM, TEKNETICS T2, GARRETT PROPOINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patience.....no matter what machine you end up with, from the best to the worst, give yourself time to learn it. I also see too many people purchase a machine that is too far above their ability for a first machine, and give it up do to frustration. The entry level machines of today, are superior to most of the top end machines of ten years ago, and one of those packages is the way to go. If you do have a local dealer, they can usually match any online deal. Give them a try, some personalized advice goes a long way when you are a beginner.
Good luck
ron

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Patience.....no matter what machine you end up with, from the best to the worst, give yourself time to learn it. I also see too many people purchase a machine that is too far above their ability for a first machine, and give it up do to frustration. The entry level machines of today, are superior to most of the top end machines of ten years ago, and one of those packages is the way to go. If you do have a local dealer, they can usually match any online deal. Give them a try, some personalized advice goes a long way when you are a beginner.
Good luck
ron
Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
Your comment makes me think of starting another thread.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides a detector the next thing that I would buy is a toss up between a Garrett pro pointer or the new orange colored Garrett Carrot pin pointer or a HEAVILY constructed digger tool such as a Lesche or Treasure Wise digger. Third Would be quality headphones. None of these things are the cheapest, but you pay for the quality that you receive. Good luck. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread