JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, I know, there is not one. But I have been thinking, I own a ctx 3030 and absolutely love the machine except when in extreme cases of trash. The target ID ability is fantastic, Depth is Awesome, and is great in salt water compared to other machines IMO. But then there is the Deus. Exceptional separation, good on tiny gold and very light. the wireless thing doesn't do much for me really.

So How much would you Pay for a Machine that had the Depth, Target ID and salt ability like the CTX3030 with the weight and Separation ability of the Deus? Then to top it off Make it REALLY waterproof to a decent depth.

I personally Hope the Manufactures read this POST..lol:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I envy your diving. I think this summer I will be getting my cert.. so much to find in the water :)

It"s very good reason to start your PADI certification. Try to find a small diving school and you need to have the feeling with your professor. Stay away from mass market diving schools ;-)

California is a great place to dive!

I did a few dives when I was in studying in Palo Alto decades ago (I'm getting old) , it was in Monterrey and I have wonderfull souvenirs of the sceneries and fishs: amazing.

You can't imagine the numbers of goodies you can find underwater.....

If I have an advise to give you: pratice a lot you buyancy between 0-40ft; it's the most difficult to get... no need to go deep, it's easier...

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
And those famous Corona Bottle Tops.. Clean signal but you can only dig so many before you want to kill people for throwing their garbage on the ground..lol

Jack, a new member on this forum named Rivers Rat is a detecting mate. He is located in London and makes incredibles finds like rare romans coins in the middle of todays trash. Same things happen to me.

Have a look:

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice.. will watch at lunch today :)
I also saw your banner post. VERY NICE.. so much older history that here in the states we don't have.. :thumbsup:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice.. will watch at lunch today :)
I also saw your banner post. VERY NICE.. so much older history that here in the states we don't have.. :thumbsup:

Hummm.... you have native Americans relics and spanish shipwreacks not so far.... Central and South America appears to be promising places to hunt!

Thanks for the banner post...hope to have the opporunity to post new potential banners finds shortly.

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yes, lots to find here.. seems like Europe was way more advanced especially when it come to metal way before our natives here were..

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yes, lots to find here.. seems like Europe was way more advanced especially when it come to metal way before our natives here were..

No doubt about it, we have 3000 years of metal trash in the soil. That's why XP metal detector are so great when it comes to target separation, they are born in here (!).

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am at a loss as to why mders think the way they do sometimes.I seen a guy complain a new up coming detector didnt cost enough to be worthy of his time.I pondered for sometime before I made sense of it.It wasnt about a machine or features or even enjoying a hobby.It was about aquiring a status symbol,it made me sad because this guy will always be chasing shadows and never get the true joy of the hobby.

Ah, let me help explain, if I may. I actually picked this up from an economics course, of all things. It's all about utility. Utility is the value we place on something and the trade off of that thing with our time and money. We all maximize our utility in different ways. Just as we would all choose to spend $20 on a weekend in different ways (some folks would shop, some would save, some would buy a book, others would buy a movie... all are different, and all are "correct" because each of the people is maximizing the personal value/joy out of the money in the way they deem good. (not accounting for regret, btw!))

Take this person you're describing. If he's finding joy in the status symbol, and that's where his happiness lays, then he's potentially enjoying the hobby, as much as we do, only for different reasons! Just as some folks buy cars to enjoy the fact they HAVE the car, and others buy them to DRIVE them, hobbies are much the same.

That's the beauty of hobbies. We're all in it for slightly different reasons. For some it's time alone, for others it's time with someone. Some live for the joy of relic hunting, others discriminate out ANYTHING but coins. Some do jewelry, some hunt clad, some are in it for the gold, and others are in it for the joy of the hunt and being outdoors, even if they only dig trash all day. Many folks love to just get out swinging, and don't care whether they find anything valuable, and others determine the worth of their time by the $$ found. Some folks LOVE the technology, and some in that category enjoy HAVING the technology, and learning about it... others enjoy USING the technology and teaching about it! Others are in it for the beep alone. Some folks start at one point, and end up in another.

What this all goes to show, is that you shouldn't be sad for the guy who was in it to "own the best technology." He may get it out to polish daily, and LOVE his technology, regardless of whether he uses it. Collectors are like that.

Heck, some of us collect for volume, others for history, others for value.

Like the 7 blind men and the elephant, all were right and all were wrong. :)

Lastly, I should note that I love TREASURENET because it seems that we're all here for one reason or another, but in the end, it's because we have JOY in those reasons. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well written skippy :notworthy: maybe other are the same but I don't talk so much about my hobby to persons surrounding me has it is not a "valuable" hobby like Golf could be.... Tresurenet is a great place where you can meet a share with people having different motivation and types of metal detection.

From my experience, there is a major split in this hobby: beach and land. I can say that those 2 communities are really different and don't understand each other. I like both type of detection and detect in water based on my land & relic experience but enjoy to find some bling bling with friends on the beach and shallow.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't dive, but I'm familiar with the HUD on military applications. That would be a great idea to integrate a detector to have the ability to display on a diving mask. I'm sure the cost would be expensive, but I'm sure there will I'm sure there would be a demand.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on the search for the "perfect" detector for many years now. Of course perfect is a matter of opinion, but I do agree, at least for me, a Deus-3030-E-Trac would be close. Once you've swung a Deus it is hard to go back to any full sized machine. The CTX is deep and accurate. If they could put a target ID FBS like the CTX in a Deus with the tones of the E-Trac I'd be in heaven.

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't dive, but I'm familiar with the HUD on military applications. That would be a great idea to integrate a detector to have the ability to display on a diving mask. I'm sure the cost would be expensive, but I'm sure there will I'm sure there would be a demand.

Here's the HUS (headup screen) on my AP diving rebreather, if I could have CTX target ID on it.... HUD in mask are not so good because we change mask according to the dive you make....and change them on regular basis.

website-header-hus-apdiving.jpg

hus-focal-render.jpg

And yes DIGGER, DEUS-3030 will be the perfect detector with a little of Aquascan PI (eric foster) machine performance... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, I know, there is not one. But I have been thinking, I own a ctx 3030 and absolutely love the machine except when in extreme cases of trash. The target ID ability is fantastic, Depth is Awesome, and is great in salt water compared to other machines IMO. But then there is the Deus. Exceptional separation, good on tiny gold and very light. the wireless thing doesn't do much for me really.

So How much would you Pay for a Machine that had the Depth, Target ID and salt ability like the CTX3030 with the weight and Separation ability of the Deus? Then to top it off Make it REALLY waterproof to a decent depth.

I personally Hope the Manufactures read this POST..lol:thumbsup:

My perfect detector would be.....

Light Weight (under 4-pounds), Great Depth (large gold ring at 16-inches), Excellent Target Separation, True All Metal Mode, Very Fast Recovery Time, Variable Multi-Frequency (and to be able to choose one frequency to use if I choose), and Waterproof to 10-Feet ... I would pay Three Grand or more.

....If it's out there, please let me know :)

In while I am dreaming about a perfect detector for me, it would be nice to have.....

Thinner shaft with a navette shape (like the cross cut section below) to reduce drag when swinging in the water, and thinner coils with the shape like the photo on the right to reduce drag in the water that would also help push the coil down while swinging in the water

jet-medium-dome-glass-navette-shape-cabs-15x7mm-.jpg -- coil.jpg

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My perfect detector would have the depth of the GPZ, the ID accuracy of the CTX, the weight and speed of the DEUS, the waterproof ability of a JW Fisher, and the price and warranty of the compadre.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, let me help explain, if I may. I actually picked this up from an economics course, of all things. It's all about utility. Utility is the value we place on something and the trade off of that thing with our time and money. We all maximize our utility in different ways. Just as we would all choose to spend $20 on a weekend in different ways (some folks would shop, some would save, some would buy a book, others would buy a movie... all are different, and all are "correct" because each of the people is maximizing the personal value/joy out of the money in the way they deem good. (not accounting for regret, btw!))

Take this person you're describing. If he's finding joy in the status symbol, and that's where his happiness lays, then he's potentially enjoying the hobby, as much as we do, only for different reasons! Just as some folks buy cars to enjoy the fact they HAVE the car, and others buy them to DRIVE them, hobbies are much the same.

That's the beauty of hobbies. We're all in it for slightly different reasons. For some it's time alone, for others it's time with someone. Some live for the joy of relic hunting, others discriminate out ANYTHING but coins. Some do jewelry, some hunt clad, some are in it for the gold, and others are in it for the joy of the hunt and being outdoors, even if they only dig trash all day. Many folks love to just get out swinging, and don't care whether they find anything valuable, and others determine the worth of their time by the $$ found. Some folks LOVE the technology, and some in that category enjoy HAVING the technology, and learning about it... others enjoy USING the technology and teaching about it! Others are in it for the beep alone. Some folks start at one point, and end up in another.

What this all goes to show, is that you shouldn't be sad for the guy who was in it to "own the best technology." He may get it out to polish daily, and LOVE his technology, regardless of whether he uses it. Collectors are like that.

Heck, some of us collect for volume, others for history, others for value.

Like the 7 blind men and the elephant, all were right and all were wrong. :)

Lastly, I should note that I love TREASURENET because it seems that we're all here for one reason or another, but in the end, it's because we have JOY in those reasons. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

Great post Skippy! I agree! Well written!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In while I am dreaming about a perfect detector for me, it would be nice to have.....

Thinner shaft with a navette shape (like the cross cut section below) to reduce drag when swinging in the water, and thinner coils with the shape like the photo on the right to reduce drag in the water that would also help push the coil down while swinging in the water

View attachment 1129191 -- View attachment 1129224

Really good design idea SoCal!
Thinking about Surfboard fin design, the leading edge is blunt then tapers to real thin. Maybe round off the corners some (shaft) to push thru the water easier.
The CTX shaft is like that now that I think about it.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I could get one thing to improve on the V3i it would be to lighten the load by a couple of pounds, I have never used a DEUS or the CTX 3030, but they are top notch I am sure. I heard that the CTX was a relatively heavy machine. I havent heard much negative about the DEUS other than it is foreign made. Could you guys elaborate on each model? pro and cons? TY :icon_thumright:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If I could get one thing to improve on the V3i it would be to lighten the load by a couple of pounds, I have never used a DEUS or the CTX 3030, but they are top notch I am sure. I heard that the CTX was a relatively heavy machine. I havent heard much negative about the DEUS other than it is foreign made. Could you guys elaborate on each model? pro and cons? TY :icon_thumright:

Minelab is foreign made as well... and VERY HEAVY! DEUS is probably on top of VLF machines on the market today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread