JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, I know, there is not one. But I have been thinking, I own a ctx 3030 and absolutely love the machine except when in extreme cases of trash. The target ID ability is fantastic, Depth is Awesome, and is great in salt water compared to other machines IMO. But then there is the Deus. Exceptional separation, good on tiny gold and very light. the wireless thing doesn't do much for me really.

So How much would you Pay for a Machine that had the Depth, Target ID and salt ability like the CTX3030 with the weight and Separation ability of the Deus? Then to top it off Make it REALLY waterproof to a decent depth.

I personally Hope the Manufactures read this POST..lol:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The perfect machine, for the conditions I hunt, has to be the Excalibur. The iron mask is priceless in these freshwater lakes.Some areas with over 100 years of nails,cans,and junk. If the perfect machine was a PI, I would have gave up and took up bird watching. It would be nice if it weight less, but good thing for us there are alot of mods such as the strait shaft, that user's like our selves have made over time, to make these machines work for us. I see lots of folks changing the head phones. If hunted the coast where you have the noise of the ocean, I would have already had it done. So I guess it really depends on the conditions we each hunt, that makes that perfect machine would be.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
The perfect machine, for the conditions I hunt, has to be the Excalibur. The iron mask is priceless in these freshwater lakes.Some areas with over 100 years of nails,cans,and junk. If the perfect machine was a PI, I would have gave up and took up bird watching. It would be nice if it weight less, but good thing for us there are alot of mods such as the strait shaft, that user's like our selves have made over time, to make these machines work for us. I see lots of folks changing the head phones. If hunted the coast where you have the noise of the ocean, I would have already had it done. So I guess it really depends on the conditions we each hunt, that makes that perfect machine would be.

HI Kevin,

I don't totaly agree about the Excalibur. It's a good detector...except on iron infested sites. I detect on areas with almost 3000 years of iron and trust me, just forget it. i even use my CTX 3030 underwater till 40ft deep to escape from using my excellent Excalibur on trashy areas.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Kevin,

I don't totaly agree about the Excalibur. It's a good detector...except on iron infested sites. I detect on areas with almost 3000 years of iron and trust me, just forget it. i even use my CTX 3030 underwater till 40ft deep to escape from using my excellent Excalibur on trashy areas.
Frogmaster. I see what what your saying, some areas would be like looking for a coin in a scrapyard. All our machines have their limitations. Many times I've brought up a scoop with a ring or coin along with several nails and heard nothing but the good target. When I first started, I had a Whites/Anphibian and these same areas produced nothing but trash. That being said, I did some tests with a piece of wire and a coin, and could not get nothing but a null if the wire surrounded the coin.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The perfect detector is the one that pays for itself the first time you use it. :laughing7:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
The perfect detector is the one that pays for itself the first time you use it. :laughing7:

The is a "beach & shallow" answer.... as I've never sold my finds, my hobby don't pay back but i do spend (a lot) of money...

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The is a "beach & shallow" answer.... as I've never sold my finds, my hobby don't pay back but i do spend (a lot) of money...

This too is a "beach & shallow water" answer.... as I've sold all the Tiffany items, diamond rings, and high end cell phones that I could not return. One day, I will sell all the scrap gold and silver when the price is right. My hobby has more then paid for all expenses.

I look at it this way ... You can't take it with you... and the flow never stops coming in :)

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your right :notworthy: we i give most of the bling blings to my wife and she takes care once a year to recycle them for brand new creation.

I was more talking about my antic coins and artefacts!

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right :notworthy: we i give most of the bling blings to my wife and she takes care once a year to recycle them for brand new creation.

I was more talking about my antic coins and artefacts!

I would be donating important artifacts to a museum for a possible write-off....Unless it was one to make me very wealthy :)

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would be donating important artifacts to a museum for a possible write-off....Unless it was one to make me very wealthy :)

Excellent! :thumbsup: :laughing7:

i have a "beach" detecting mate thinking the same way.... I've succeed once to bring him for a land detection journey... i found some coins from various Medieval and antic period, guess what he found? A buried wallet with jewels from a robbery... I just told him: even when you detect on land you find jewels !? Pffffff... your a FxxxING BEACH MAN :BangHead:

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent! :thumbsup: :laughing7:

i have a "beach" detecting mate thinking the same way.... I've succeed once to bring him for a land detection journey... i found some coins from various Medieval and antic period, guess what he found? A buried wallet with jewels from a robbery... I just told him: even when you detect on land you find jewels !? Pffffff... your a FxxxING BEACH MAN :BangHead:

You and your friend wouldn't happen to be relatives of Albert Spaggiari & Jacques Mesrine? haha

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 1.57.12 PM.png

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There comes a point when a hobby becomes more of an obsession. And that's fine if you can afford either. From my list of detectors, I have put less than $800 over the years, mostly trading to wind up with what is perfect for me. I love the hobby, find a lot of coins/jewelry for my return on investment. When I see some that have over $5000 worth of detectors, I wonder how long their return on investment takes. Maybe they don't care because the return isn't a monetary one, but an enjoyment one.

People can get obsessed with photography owning 15 different and expensive cameras. I have two less than $400 in cost. People can get obsessed with fishing, owning a $20,000 boat and fish finders and expensive rods. I have 3 fishing rods and equipment totaling under $200.

I find coins/jewelry, I take pictures and I enjoy catching fish off of the pier. The experiences of all three are enjoyable. I can't afford thousands more to try to get a little bit better experiences. When I "accept" what I have as perfect for me, I can enjoy the heck out of what I have. If I chase the ever changing "there is something a little bit better" analogy, I would not be as happy.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There comes a point when a hobby becomes more of an obsession. And that's fine if you can afford either. From my list of detectors, I have put less than $800 over the years, mostly trading to wind up with what is perfect for me. I love the hobby, find a lot of coins/jewelry for my return on investment. When I see some that have over $5000 worth of detectors, I wonder how long their return on investment takes. Maybe they don't care because the return isn't a monetary one, but an enjoyment one.

People can get obsessed with photography owning 15 different and expensive cameras. I have two less than $400 in cost. People can get obsessed with fishing, owning a $20,000 boat and fish finders and expensive rods. I have 3 fishing rods and equipment totaling under $200.

I find coins/jewelry, I take pictures and I enjoy catching fish off of the pier. The experiences of all three are enjoyable. I can't afford thousands more to try to get a little bit better experiences. When I "accept" what I have as perfect for me, I can enjoy the heck out of what I have. If I chase the ever changing "there is something a little bit better" analogy, I would not be as happy.

Yes...you can also have a mix.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread