Metal Detecting and Dogs

bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is not really about metal detecting. It's more about what would you do while metal detecting and this happens?

Today at the park I was happily on my knees digging a hole when I looked up and saw a large dog charging me. I quickly stood up and put my search coil out and held the dog at bay. The dog was barking and showing it's teeth. My metal detector worked really well to keep the dog from biting my legs. I now know why lion tamers use chairs...
The owner of the dog came from around a tree and was talking on her cell phone. when she saw what was happening she yelled at me and said "Stop doing that with that thing, you're freaking him out". I said your dog is attacking me and that's kind of freaking me out! She casually walked over and put the leash on and pulled the still barking and growling dog away.
The park is clearly posted that "you must have your dog on a leash".

This is the second time I've been attacked by a dog in my short time metal detecting. :(
What would you do?

Upvote 0

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
get bear spray.let him have it and then when she tries to put him in the car or in the house...bam...you got her too....lol

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This happened to me today at a local park. Luckily all the dog got was a piece of my camo pants. The owners quickly put the dog on a leash and left as I threatened to call the police as there were kids around also.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
They have to be trained....for retrieval.

GOD Bless

Chris

Attachments

• K800_024.JPG
    K800_024.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 92

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same situation happen, and did the same thing as you - used my metal detector to kind of deflect the dog, that was trying to get behind me, for a bite at the back of my legs I was sure. So we stood there doing this twirl until the owner came up. She had been calling the dog but he was more interested in me. I said a few choice words about the stupidity of leaving a dog off leash when you can't control it, but she reacted like I was just a crabby old lady, which I most certainly was. I didn't get bit so I didn't think animal control or the police would do anything. But if the woman hadn't reached the dog when she did, I know I would have knocked him hard with the detector in another second.

Snuffy

Jan 16, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, HF 9 function
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not been in a public place yet detecting, but I used to walk a good bit for exercise. One time I had a little dog, one of those Mexican taco bell things to actually clamp on my leg. I saw it coming and had my squirt bottle of 26% ammonium hydroxide at the ready, since I'm a chemistry tech I have access to industrial strength chemicals. A little squirt and he quickly turned tail and ran. I had no damage so all was good, but I will have my little bottle when I go detecting! And next time I won't wait until it's right on me!!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had several bad dog experiences through the years while detecting and working cable TV, including being bitten. That woman was WAY OUT of bounds and should have been reported. I hate to shoot a dog, but have, and will again if I feel they are a threat to my well being. I might soften up and start packing some bear spray when I'm in a park, but the baddies I encounter in the woods will soon depart this world. Cheers!!

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm probably the biggest dog lover on this forum. With that said I carry a blade on my side. Mostly for protection against humans but if a dog started attacking me or dogS for that matter and there was no option, I have to say, I love myself more than I love a dog and the dog wouldn't win.
As for that horrible excuse for an owner, I'd of punched her in the stink. You define stink.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm probably the biggest dog lover on this forum. With that said I carry a blade on my side. Mostly for protection against humans but if a dog started attacking me or dogS for that matter and there was no option, I have to say, I love myself more than I love a dog and the dog wouldn't win.

As for that horrible excuse for an owner, I'd of punched her in the stink. You define stink.

LOL too funny..punch her in the stink..JG I've never heard/seen that term but it just got me laughing.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dog actually will dig if told to do so...
I take my foot and scratch the ground while saying "dig dig... get it... dig dig"..
And he begins to claw away at the spot like rabid animal...
problem is he shoots all the dirt between his legs...
along with the "find".

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few people talked about using a gun but if you shoot a dog in a public park it had better have bitten you a couple times or you will be going to jail and most likely be sued, simple as that. Pepper spray works great then the owners get to get it all over themselves and can enjoy it to as they try to clean there precious pet.

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry pepper spray for just occasions. Harbor freight carries it. Under 5 bucks. In fact I never leave home without it. And it do work!

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a large boxer-looking dog run up on me last fall in a park. It was barking and showing teeth as he circled me like a shark. I was kneeling down when this happened so I had my digging tool in one hand an me brass probe in another and was in a defensive stance in case this thing made a move on me.

Its owner must have called from across the park because it perked up and ran out of sight. I have no tolerance for aggressive animals and would have killed it if it had tried to bite me.

A lot of people don't spay/neuter dogs so they tend to get very worked up when they go to a park where lots of other dogs have been, especially male dogs full of testosterone. Male dogs can become downright aggressive when they smell a female in heat. Much like people in some ways.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just happened to me yesterday except I wasn't kneeling. I had waded through several piles of dog poop that varied from aged to fresh, all the same size. Obviously someone brigs their dog there to crap every day, I was already pissed when the culprit ran up to me a foot away barking, I yelled at the dog to bug off plenty loud for the owner who was on his cell phone to hear. He called the dog off and I went back to digging the aluminum things off of pencil erasers.

Last edited:

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
Just happened to me yesterday except I wasn't kneeling. I had waded through several piles of dog poop that varied from aged to fresh, all the same size. Obviously someone brigs their dog there to crap every day, I was already pissed when the culprit ran up to me a foot away barking, I yelled at the dog to bug off plenty loud for the owner who was on his cell phone to hear. He called the dog off and I went back to digging the aluminum things off of pencil erasers.

Ten years ago, generally, I was told to set the property corners of the last available lot in a wealthy subdivision. Fortunately with all the adjoining lots built, most pins should have been existing. Just locate, flag up, and set a stake. Got the the lot, well all the other residents used this for fido's do do. You could not walk across the lot, just around. Several of the culprits were by to do their bit, and I made sure the owners knew they were out of line. Glad I did not have to set any corners.

I just hate it when you are standing up and see the dog bomb, wondering if you missed it or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread