Finding gold question

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im leaning toward a Garrett AT Pro for right now. If I end up buying a different brand name or model then Im sure it will be about the same price or very possibly less. So my point is that most all these models can pick up a gold coin and/or nuggets but they just wont tell me specifically that its gold...right ?
I mean if I was lucky enough to come across a gold coin, necklace, or ring then it shows up under something like a pull tab category ?
Thanks

Upvote 0

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The conductivity of Gold and Aluminum, and nickels are close enough that they show up the same (either in notch format or in numbers). This is the reason we can't often figure out which is which until we dig the target.

It'll DEFINTELY tell you it's in the range of gold, but unless you're out in the wilderness where the only thing you're going to come across in that range is gold, I wouldn't ever bet on something till it's dug. :)

In fact, small gold jewelry often shows up below the pull-tab range in the foil range (light aluminum)

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The conductivity of Gold and Aluminum, and nickels are close enough that they show up the same (either in notch format or in numbers). This is the reason we can't often figure out which is which until we dig the target.

It'll DEFINTELY tell you it's in the range of gold, but unless you're out in the wilderness where the only thing you're going to come across in that range is gold, I wouldn't ever bet on something till it's dug. :)

In fact, small gold jewelry often shows up below the pull-tab range in the foil range (light aluminum)

Thanks
Now I see why they say "dig it up if you want to know for sure".
This also makes sense why I need to start off cheap and do things the harder way to start with until I figure out what I want.
Im getting excited and I havent even spent a single dime yet.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is SO much fun. Even when there's no gold involved. This morning, my son and I went out to a grass strip by a snow cone shack. We were able to find the owner, and got permission to swing away.

We landed just a few cents shy of $30 between the two of us in about 2.5 hours. We were on "coin mode" only with pennies notched out (to only find dimes and quarters)... Yeah, we weren't there for jewelry, but it was still very fun!

My son took his metal detecting money and cashed in at the bank today for bills, then we went to a coin shop and he bought some really nice coins for his penny collection. A SUPER nice Brilliant Uncirculated Steel cent (1945). Was gorgeous, and a whole bunch of Wheaties for fills in his book.

Sometimes you can't "find" the right coin, but you can find enough clad to go buy it!

Cheers,

Skippy

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pass on the AT Pro and get the Gold instead as it is a much better detector and not so chatty. The id numbers are for reference only.

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is SO much fun. Even when there's no gold involved. This morning, my son and I went out to a grass strip by a snow cone shack. We were able to find the owner, and got permission to swing away.

We landed just a few cents shy of $30 between the two of us in about 2.5 hours. We were on "coin mode" only with pennies notched out (to only find dimes and quarters)... Yeah, we weren't there for jewelry, but it was still very fun!

My son took his metal detecting money and cashed in at the bank today for bills, then we went to a coin shop and he bought some really nice coins for his penny collection. A SUPER nice Brilliant Uncirculated Steel cent (1945). Was gorgeous, and a whole bunch of Wheaties for fills in his book.

Sometimes you can't "find" the right coin, but you can find enough clad to go buy it!

Cheers,

Skippy
That does sound like a great time. I might start trying to find places like that after I get some experience under my belt.

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pass on the AT Pro and get the Gold instead as it is a much better detector and not so chatty. The id numbers are for reference only.
There we go trying to get me to spend more money...just kidding.
Seriously I was looking at the differences and the Gold model is roughly around 75 dollars more I believe.
I read somewhere else almost the exact same thing as what you said.
Here is one of the charts I found...
Garrett Comparison Chart - AT Gold and AT Pro
I found this one also...
http://highplainsprospectors.com/blog/?p=1017

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro really sucks at most saltwater beaches in the wet sand. When they say saltwater they really mean dry sand.

OP
OP
M

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro really sucks at most saltwater beaches in the wet sand. When they say saltwater they really mean dry sand.

Thanks for telling about your experiences. Do you own a Gold ? I dont see it on your list on the left side of the screen (avatar?) I do see the AT Pro listed.
I wont be in salt water so maybe that part might not apply to me ? I might be getting in fresh water though.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is fine in fresh water, but, like Sandman said, it sucks in the wet salt water/sand. The AT Gold is even worse under those conditions.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going after both coins/jewelry and nuggets, you'll probably want to get two machines. Small nuggets are something that most all purpose machine have a lot of trouble finding. Most of the PI type gold machines are miserable to use in a park. If you're not hunting in salt conditions, the At Gold is a reasonably good compromise in that price range. It's not great for either use but it's not bad either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread