dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends on who owns them. Their are two in my area that are on forest service land that I have detected. Finds have been slim.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
as dirtscratcher says: It depends on where they are. They could be on a myriad of various types entities lands nowadays. But I would not hesitate to hunt them, wherever they are :) If they were short-lived to be JUST the single couple of months during the '30s that the teens camped there (and built picnic tables, bbq pits, etc...) then the pickens are dreadfully slim. But if the locations took off in popularity after then (from the '30s to the '60s, or to-the-present), then they have better potential to have silver. Assuming, of course, they haven't been worked to death by other md'rs .

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of one near the Pa grand canyon in tioga county. The workers used to work on roads, cut timber and such. the camps were run by the army and they only received 10% of their pay-the other 90% was sent to the family of the worker. Now that is why the sites aren't to productive. there was a ccc ring posted on here a little while back that was pretty cool.

OP
OP
nuggetdog

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a camp located at the mouth of a canyon not 1 mile from my house, I think the land is owned by the city so I shouldn't have any problem getting permission to search there. The living conditions must of been really hard due to the wind blowing out of that canyon.

Paul

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
There is a camp located at the mouth of a canyon not 1 mile from my house, I think the land is owned by the city so I shouldn't have any problem getting permission to search there ....

Paul, if the land is owned by the city, question for you: Is there a municipal-wide ordinance that forbids md'ing, such that you would therefore "need permission" ?

OP
OP
nuggetdog

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are towns around our little valley that do have ordinances that forbid metal detecting, but where I live the city said I could detect anywhere I like, I still need to find out if the ccc camp is on city property though.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've detected a couple CCC camps not far from where I live. Didn't find any great targets, but I may not have passed the coil over them.
luvsdux.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are the depression era Civilian Conservation Corps camp sites open to detecting?

Paul

In Texas, CCC camps you can hunt are pretty much off limits because of their modern-day status.... Almost everything they touched became a state park or a COE lake.

~Tejaas~

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Nuggetdog. My Grandpa was in a ccc camp in Green River. This was before WW2. Here is a pic he must have brought back with him. It shows what I guess is the layout of the barracks. green river Utah ccc camp 001.JPG

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends on who owns them. Their are two in my area that are on forest service land that I have detected. Finds have been slim.

If they were on FS land then detecting them was probably not within the rules. Anything over 50 years old is protected.

OP
OP
nuggetdog

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Nuggetdog. My Grandpa was in a ccc camp in Green River. This was before WW2. Here is a pic he must have brought back with him. It shows what I guess is the layout of the barracks. View attachment 1128922

What a great photo, we would have a hard time now a days grasping what life must have been like for those folks back then, have you ever been to Green River in July, its like jumping into an oven preheated at 108. Protect that photo.

Paul

OP
OP
nuggetdog

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were on FS land then detecting them was probably not within the rules. Anything over 50 years old is protected.

Yea, the camp near here has a historical type sign so I'm thinking its probably protected.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check at Forrest service office and they told me I could detect anywhere I want expect around their offices where I would not want to anyway.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Yea, the camp near here has a historical type sign so I'm thinking its probably protected.

Nuggetdog, dirtscratcher is right: NFS is NOT off-limits to md'ing. For some strange reason, md'rs seem to think that "all federal land is a no-no for md'ing". But this is simply not true. NFS is one example where ..... there's actually a specific ALLOWANCE (versus mere silence on the subject, which would be good-enough for me, doh!).

yes: there might be some strange thing where..... if you asked "long enough and hard enough" of enough bored archies, that you could probably find one to tell you that you can detect, "as long as it's for modern stuff" (50 yrs. or newer, blah blah). But ....... seriously now........ when was the last time you ever detected, and had someone follow you around with a calculator doing the math on the age of each coin you found ? :icon_scratch:

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I check at Forrest service office and they told me I could detect anywhere I want expect around their offices where I would not want to anyway.

You can detect most places but not once you discover an area is of historical interest. A CCC camp being older than 50 years would be considered an area of historical interest.

Several rules and laws cover this. It does not matter that a particular FS employee is ignorant of the law or chooses not to enforce it.

There is the Antiquity Act (ARPA) and FS rules to know. Better read them before thinking or telling others it is ok to dig anywhere and anything.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can detect most places but not once you discover an area is of historical interest. A CCC camp being older than 50 years would be considered an area of historical interest.

Several rules and laws cover this. It does not matter that a particular FS employee is ignorant of the law or chooses hot to enforce it.

There is the Antiquity Act (ARPA) and FS rules to know. Better read them before thinking or telling others it is ok to dig anywhere and anything.

I spoke of my experience. If you think otherwise that's fine but I live in a sparsely populated area where I know most of the forest service employees and if they say go ahead it's game on.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spoke of my experience. If you think otherwise that's fine but I live in a sparsely populated area where I know most of the forest service employees and if they say go ahead it's game on.

I don't just think otherwise, I have read the ARPA and FS regs and know. Not that I agree with them or never go beyond them, but one should be aware of what they are and the consequences of ignoring them.

HH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....... and if they say go ahead it's game on....

..... It does not matter that a particular FS employee is ignorant of the law or chooses not to enforce it.....

I'm with dirt-scratcher on this one. Why oh why someone argues with a "yes", I don't know. If you want to keep looking for a "no" (via some verbage that can be deemed to apply to your "pressing question") I guarantee you will find it. Just use key words like "dig", "holes", "treasure", "take" , "remove" "cultural heritage" and "indian bone", and sure ..... you will ALWAYS find someone to tell you "no". You might as well take up needlepoint. Sheesk.

So when someone tells me "go ahead", I don't argue. If you're in the middle of nowhere, who's there to gripe, in the first place?

....., but one should be aware of what they are and the consequences of ignoring them....

If someone in authority told me "yes", then that becomes their problem, not mine.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with dirt-scratcher on this one. Why oh why someone argues with a "yes", I don't know. If you want to keep looking for a "no" (via some verbage that can be deemed to apply to your "pressing question") I guarantee you will find it. Just use key words like "dig", "holes", "treasure", "take" , "remove" "cultural heritage" and "indian bone", and sure ..... you will ALWAYS find someone to tell you "no". You might as well take up needlepoint. Sheesk.

So when someone tells me "go ahead", I don't argue. If you're in the middle of nowhere, who's there to gripe, in the first place?

If someone in authority told me "yes", then that becomes their problem, not mine.

I agree in not asking for permission when the issue is unknown, ambiguous and unstated. That is not the case on federal land; it is spelled out in detail for those that bother to look,

I think if someone in higher authority comes along it would be your problem. If a cop told you it was OK to drive down the road at 100mph do you think that would get you out of the next ticket?

Ignorance of the law is not a defense in court.

I don't care what you do. I just don't want to see others given the wrong information on the legality of digging older sites on federal lands.

Each of us then knowing the laws and rules, have to decide whether to break them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread