Roots and rocks

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought a coinmaster gt and took it out yesterday for the first time. I had nails and horseshoe options discriminated. I kept getting hits on roots and rocks. Every dig was a root or a rock. I buried a quarter about 8' and it picked that up no problem. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Could there be mineralization in the roots or the stones? I detected a small stream and found a charcoal stick and a lot of the larger stones sent the dectector into overload and others rang between -70/-95. Juat looking to hear some options of what could be happening with my detector thanks.

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you may have been in an area full of hot rocks and/or were running too much sensitivity.
luvsdux

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot rocks?

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HOT ROCKS:
Hot Rocks is a term that applies to terrestrial minerals that register (hot) on a metal detector or are 'attracted' to a test magnet or may visually appear metallic or meteoritic.

Basically, high mineral content rocks, for a variety of reasons... almost all of which annoy detectorists. To avoid, you might need to lower your sensitivity.

That or your rocks are filled with gold. :) If it's quartz, crack one for sure! And if you have a pinpointer, that'll help, too.

Quite likely though, it's only mineralization. Lower the sensitivity to put things back in line.

Cheers,

Skippy

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks. What about the tree roots? Similar issue, turn down sensitivity?

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly. Tree roots are a funny thing, as they'll absorb minerals. I more strongly suspect they are hiding something small. I've found lots of pellets at the base of trees (lead pellets will beep as they're not iron), coins a-plenty, and other objects that fall out of people's pockets as they sit under the tree. This is where a pointer tool comes in. If you're getting an actual strong signal from an actual specific location, it's not likely to be the tree root.

Depending on whether or not the digging/cutting will damage the tree, sometimes I leave items in the ground. I've had signals below roots big enough to require an axe. Those will have to wait 80 more years for the next detectorist. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions