I travel for free

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I thought the title would get your attn.
Ok, so I work for a major airline and get to travel anywhere in the 50 states for FREE and anywhere in the world pretty much and only pay 50.00 in taxes and sometimes a gas rate that isn't much.
My question is, if this was you, where would you go to hunt? Where are some great beaches? I'm thinking of going to South Beach FL for a few days. I've thought about Maui but have heard that it's pretty much a skunk job there. I want to hunt safe, and looking for tourist destinations/hotspots ... Idea's, opinions?

Upvote 0

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you go nugget hunting? You have the Atgold! Buy a gold pan and read the threads in gold prospecting here.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I do. I'm a GPAA member. I went to Big Bear a few months a go and got a little bit of gold but not as much as a ring at the beach.... Went to Quartzsite and didnt find squat. I use a Gold Buddy dry washer, mated to a gas blower... also have a dryvac.... The thing with nugget hunting is that I have to drive about 225 miles ea way just to get where I need to get. At 13 mpg in a jeep it's not exactly cost effective nor luxury driving. By the time I get there I'm a zombie from road noise. It is fun though. Anyway's. back on topic.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when detecting in big bear forget nuggets.there arent any its just not that kind of deposit,its all flour gold.I live and hunt here and its all about the mining,logging,cattle,recreational camps.Low percentage but amazing finds possible.

When road trip hunting I consider the following to narrow down possibilities;
1)how do folks get there...if most simply drive its more likely hunted regularly
2)swimming/snowplay...two high percentage jewelry locales
3)other than detecting...if not happening do I wanna be there anyways

super general but not bad start

cheers

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I would like England for cool old relics and possible gold hoards

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The English are leading the way for metal detectorists.

NO HISTRICAL SITES.

Leave it like you found it or better!

Portable antiquities Scheme!

Great stuff!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Big Bear is flour gold, you are correct. Never said I metal detect there. That's what my dry wash is for. Quartzite, I did take my AT Gold but didn't find squat with it or my dry washer.
Anyways, for now I'm into beach metal detecting as I have found a number of rings already and its quite a bit of fun. Plus you get to see a lot of girlies. You don't see those in the middle of the desert. So with that said, what beach would you go to if you could go to pretty much any beach (to detect).

L

l2hunt

I always though it would be awesome to go to Europe and hunt around the WW2 battle ground sites!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No disrespect, but you already have the ability to go anywhere in the world to hunt. Something all of us would love to have. Asking us to tell you where the honey holes are is maybe a bit much. Most people here do the research and then spend their hard earned money to go there. You are fortunate in your job and the perks you get. I don't think that there will be a lot of people stepping up and making a map for you. I could be wrong. But also part of this hobby is doing the research and cultivating sites for yourself. You have the world at your fingertips, go explore! Then tells us of your adventures and show us your finds. It's treasure hunting, not treasure reclaimation. GL & HH.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always though it would be awesome to go to Europe and hunt around the WW2 battle ground sites!

...and dig up some live munitions!!!! I'll stick to coin, jewelry and relics!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remote high end honeymoon spots would be toward the top of my list......Tahiti/Morrea/Bora Bora, Bali, Fiji, etc.

OP
OP
jeepGold

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I wasn't asking where the honey pots are I just wanted to know of some great destination spots that are beautiful and have potential. Wasn't looking for animosity or sarcasm.... Thanks anyways.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wasn't asking where the honey pots are I just wanted to know of some great destination spots that are beautiful and have potential. Wasn't looking for animosity or sarcasm.... Thanks anyways.

Wasn't giving either. I just replied to your post. Sorry it wasn't what you wanted to hear. You being in the travel industry would probably know about great destinations for detecting more than most, so I assumed you were looking for more specific locations to hunt. I said members here would be reluctant to do that as they have their own spots and don't advertise. I guess I was wrong and that you were really wanting to have people steer you to the right continents. My suggestion is North America, lots of scenic beaches and beautiful mountain ranges. Has lots of old ghost towns and I hear the food is pretty good there.

Last edited:

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mikeraydj, your post did come off pretty rude and envious of his capability to travel cheap from how I read it. I didn't see him asking for tips and tricks. Sounded like he just wanted to hear what others interests are. If you didn't have a place to share why respond with criticism? That's the downside of forums, there is always that one guy who ruins it. Oh well that's why I don't join clubs and rarely hunt with others.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I work for a major airline and get to travel anywhere in the 50 states for FREE and anywhere in the world pretty much and only pay 50.00 in taxes and sometimes a gas rate that isn't much.
My question is, if this was you, where would you go to hunt? Where are some great beaches? I'm thinking of going to South Beach FL for a few days. I've thought about Maui but have heard that it's pretty much a skunk job there. I want to hunt safe, and looking for tourist destinations/hotspots ... Idea's, opinions?

South Beach is nice as is Key Biscayne, St Pete and Daytona Beach, Florida are all nice. Hilton Head Island SC and Virginia Beach Va are nice..... Personally if I had free travel I would be hitting the beaches in Asia, Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore as well as the honeymoon beaches in the Caribbean.....

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would look at SC. Beautiful as well as optimal setting for great finds with tons of History. Good Luck!!

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mikeraydj, your post did come off pretty rude and envious of his capability to travel cheap from how I read it. I didn't see him asking for tips and tricks. Sounded like he just wanted to hear what others interests are. If you didn't have a place to share why respond with criticism? That's the downside of forums, there is always that one guy who ruins it. Oh well that's why I don't join clubs and rarely hunt with others.

I am sorry you feel that way. I agree that my being direct can be construed as rude sometimes. Even of having a pretty dry sense of humor. I am sorry if anyone had their feelers hurt because my response didn't match their expectations. I will even concede that I may have misunderstood the OP's intent in asking his question. But malice or envy was not in the equation. But please do not let my comment run you off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread