Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many machines with that feature. I have noticed that when you disc and notch, it affects depth detection slightly (at least on the mid range machines I've used).

I usually disc out iron as a coin/jewelry hunter. But I'm getting to the point that I would rather hear and ID it as trash than to have the machine just not bring it to my attention that it's there.

I wish my LRP had the FeTone Iron audio ability of the Eurotek Pro so I could just make iron almost silent and not drive me crazy.

It appears only Tesoro has elected to not supply notch (except Golden/Cortez) which may be a reason for their depth.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't notch and use as little disc as possible. I sometimes switch between a disc program and a non-disc program (all metal mode). I believe that a good target sometimes hides around the iron, and the disc seems to block that target as well as the iron... when I switch to all metal, I can hear both targets and make a decision on digging.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only notch out Iron, 30-40.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't in three or four years.

My first detector, a Minelab Musketeer Advantage, has no notch. I never had a choice. Also has no display & is just audio.

When I got my F-75 in 2007 the notch feature was so novel - and something I thought I very badly needed - so I used it at all times. But then I barely caught a nice ring with a creaky tone right on the edge of the notch that should have been a loud, solid tone and said "Harrumph!" So I started using less and less.

Now I just barely discriminate out iron and instead check the display for TID rather than letting the machine decide.

The exception is in places where one or two common trash items are just driving me bug-nutz and I will notch then out. Especially if I am coin-shooting current parks and fairgrounds. But the older the site the more interested I become in the maybe-old,-odd-&-deep-instead-of-trash signals.

In the woods or plowed fields I may go just all crazy and switch to all metal. Lets's see everything that's here!

gianetics

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
notch no. ill use just a little bit of iron disc. in my soil anything over 6" starts lowering vdi numbers. if i notch i might miss a 9" dime or 10" quarter. thats with an at pro, xterra705, f2, eurotek. my ground balance in my backyard is 89-91 with the atp and 21-17 with the 705. at 11-12 inches a quarter (fresh burred) reads in high iron range on both the atp and 705. but it doesnt "sound" like iron if that makes any sense.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not all my detectors have that feature. I prefer to have a fully adjustable, tweakable discrimination and generally run it just above small iron.
luvsdux

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only notch the grips on my handgun.:laughing7:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also prefer not to notch out anything, I just set the discrimination so that it knocks out foil and lower.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually run with 0 disc and nothing notched. Seems like the more I hear, the more it all makes sense to me. It's nice to have available though, when the signals begin to overload my brain.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to not like to notch because of all the popping and crackling, but I tend to stay away from modern trash type places. I'm also afraid of notching out anything since gold and platinum can fall all over the place.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I almost never notch anything, except in rare instances like where there are an insane amount of aluminum foil or pulltabs, when I couldn';t even consider digging
that narraow range of TID.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES. I notch. on the Garrett ACE series, Notching doesn't impact depth at all. it merely keeps the "ding" from occurring. in fact, if you're watching the screen, the target will still show up in the notch, it just doesn't reflect in the sound.

I looked up the specs to double check, and sure enough, notching out (discriminating) doesn't affect depth on the Garrett ACE series.

Skippy

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like hearing everything underground in most cases. No notch and rarely any discrimination.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on where I am detecting. Some sites have so many targets that I do notch to reduce the amount of plugs I dig in a square yard and to decrease the amount of noises I hear . I often go over sites running north to south, then east to west and finally I go at a 45 degree angle. If I notched on the site I will then go back over it without notching so I can then find the targets that were notched out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread