stjaw01

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2015
Hattiuesburg, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics omega 8000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am in Hattiesburg, MS and am just getting started metal detecting. Are there any public place on the coast to hunt other than the beach ?

OP
OP
tek-billiot

tek-billiot

Greenie
Feb 28, 2015
Biloxi, MS.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
White's Coinmaster 3000/d
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a bunch of parks and camp sites also.

stjaw01

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2015
Hattiuesburg, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics omega 8000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for places around Hattiesburg and surrounding areas to metal detect. Anyone know where I could hunt?

laffitte

Jun 2, 2014
Ocean Springs,Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
tek-billiot
Hi" tek-billiot". We have been trying to get in touch with you. Check (bonepicker) and (laffitte) what we have been getting out of the ground. Give Laffatte a call.

MissGulfCoast

May 4, 2015
MS Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro MD and pro-pointer AT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a newbie to metal detecting and also live on the coast. I sure would love to meet other locals who are interested in getting together at times and MD'ing together. Maybe I'll learn some good tips and I'll finally start finding stuff!

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check at the bottom of the forums on the MISSISSIPPI FORUM ...quite a bit of activity around Hattiesburg on that forum

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I just started MDing this week in the greater Jackson area. I also have family in Long Beach. I will be heading down this weekend. Know of any good search spots around Long Beach?

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, im not real familiar with Long Beach. Lived here all my life, but just don't goto Long Beach very often, and have never hunted there.
I do know there is lots of history in that area. You may want to look at google earth, and look for parks, etc in that area, or just google Long beach and the surrounding area. There is also the beach. I heard Jean Lafitte had his men stationed at Cat Island for a while, and Cat is just south of Long Beach. You wont be able to make it to Cat without a boat, but there is the possibility of something good washing ashore onto the beaches. I would suggest google earth, then once you make it here ride around and look at some of those areas. If nothing pans out, goto the beach. I recommend hunting early or late in the evening, because the heat is here. Also pack some bug spray, because the bugs are getting bad.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Location Location Location

I am a newbie to metal detecting and also live on the coast. I sure would love to meet other locals who are interested in getting together at times and MD'ing together. Maybe I'll learn some good tips and I'll finally start finding stuff!
Its all about Location. It doesn't take a hi-dollar machine to find stuff, its all about location and research.
This site is an invaluable place to learn about detecting. Read, Read, Read.
If you are new and just learning. The best thing to do is goto target rich environments, dig everything, and learn your machine.
I would suggest the beach.
Im sure you have heard this a lot, but be very careful digging your holes in public areas and yards.
A lot of people have a negative attitude towards detectorists, because some people destroy lawns, or do not fill their holes properly. Im not trying to preach, just giving advice.
The best target rich areas to learn are the beaches, digging is easy, and they are constantly replenishing themselves with targets.
Also you may want to get a sand scoop, it is nice using these, because you don't have to do a lot of bending over, kneeling, or squatting.
HH and keep on plugging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread