What types of sites do you most frequently detect at?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious - my favorite posts to read on here are the ones that explain what type(s) of site particular finds were pulled from. I feel like it's research of sorts, helping to see what types of coins or relics are coming from what types of sites. So what kinds of sites do you spend the most time at?

For me, I'm mostly a coin hunter, not particularly interested in clad. I spend the majority of my time door-knocking at old houses and occasionally end up at public schools that are still in use.

Upvote 0

daemon1971

Sep 23, 2012
southeast mi
Detector(s) used
pioneer 202, gamma 6000, Garrett ATPro, tesoro vaquero
I like old house sites, old coins would be nice , but I like old jewelry and relics more.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like old town parks. That's where people were and where I can freely go.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I detect (in Texas) spots that the Spanish/Mexican Soldados & Misioneros / Tejano Colonists / Republic of Texas Army / Texas Rangers / Confederate Partisans / Federal Cavalry would have been tasked with scouting, surveying, patrolling, defending, reclaiming, or occupying between the years 1716-1899.

In my book, there's nowhere better you CAN hunt.

~Tejaas~

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
old gold mining camps....sledding areas..everything else is once in a while

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've, lately, been spending lots of time at the grassy knolls where snowcone shacks set up in the summer. Those are quarter mines. :)

Skippy

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like going to the library and researching areas where people have gathered over the years, but not recently. I'm talking 75 years ago and earlier. Some could be over grown, but no new trash. Every hit could be something great. Dig everything. The fort sight I've been going to is like that. Funny thing is archeologists have done their time there and I still find stuff like buttons, musket balls, and coins.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old homes along with private permissions....drool.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the old sites around me,now have houses or strip centers on them,so I like to hit tot-lots.I try to do 4-8 different ones
every Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

RCDIGGS

Greenie
Apr 17, 2013
southeast NH
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ACE, BOUNTY HUNTER PLATINUM, TEKNETICS T2, GARRETT PROPOINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live in NH, the rock wall go for miles. I love to just slowly walk them with my detector. Find some nice cellar holes along the way, but the openings, and intersections in the walls have always done well for me. People must have used them for meet up spots. Your not going to find much for old coins this way, but good for buttons and buckles. Cant forget about oxen shoes, got my fair share of them that's for sure.

NysilverMS

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2015
Pillar point NY
Detector(s) used
Mx5
Whites xlt pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that any item be it pirate treasure or clad or war buttons or any of the above mentioned could be found anywhere these days with modern equipment of the last few decades being so easily obtainable I have seen farm fields of old homesteads dug up hauled out and brought as bought clean topsoil for towns and cities anything anywhere you can swing a coil is a potentially awesome spot... Maybe lol

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that any item be it pirate treasure or clad or war buttons or any of the above mentioned could be found anywhere these days with modern equipment of the last few decades being so easily obtainable I have seen farm fields of old homesteads dug up hauled out and brought as bought clean topsoil for towns and cities anything anywhere you can swing a coil is a potentially awesome spot... Maybe lol

My best spot for civil war bullets is an area on a hill that was excavated about 10 years ago to put in a baseball field. I don't find bullets above where it was excavated, and I don't find them below where it was excavated, but about 10 feet in on each side is great...the area that is now on the surface used to be a foot and a half below the surface. I'd love to know where they put all the dirt.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try that too but rarely succeed. What's your best-producing kind of site? Parks?

There is no "best" type of site. I have found some parks with incredible amounts of silver and old coins, but most suck. I have found private yards where it seemed the kids must had dime fights in the 30s and 40s, but even most house sites suck. I had incredible success at my latest ghost town, but most have only given up one or two coins and metric ton of garbage.

There is no "best". You have to do your research, learn every aspect of your detector, then hunt A LOT. The good sites will turn up occasionally.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By far and not on the list is Campgrounds and specifically tent camping site's far and away better than anything listed above. Last year I averaged over 2 bucks in clad per/site plus the occasional silver and Wheaties. The nice part it is easy to cover the entire site without missing much ground.

I have had very good luck getting permission to hunt campgrounds from the owners after I tell them I will only coin shoot and show them the process.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For old stuff I have a top four places I prefer. I like hitting old fields with stone walls probably the most because targets are usually spaced out enough to get a perfect deep hit . The field must have had lots of past activity or they are boring quiet though. Old cellar hole property's are right up there as a favorite because they usually always have nice coins and relics but more work if they are trashy. Next I like old growth woods that you can tell was used land long before the trees were there. Some of my best finds can from the woods and there is usually lots of swinging room under those big trees because they stop the bushes and alders from growing. Then I like yards of old houses that are original and hopefully still maintained. May not always get the oldest stuff but 60-100 years + are fine in my books any day and they are always full of targets! [emoji2]

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love curb strips !! I also hunt old houses, parks, and schools any chance I get.

Coinhawk

Feb 11, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far I've just been park hunting, but I've got 4 private land permissions granted and three more pending for this summer. One of them is house build in 1902, so I'm looking forward to that one!

Question: Do those who have hunted lots of places focus their efforts near/in creek beds, river banks, lakes, etc?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread