Im HORRIBLE... But funny. :)

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm HORRIBLE... But funny. :)

Today, I brought about $80 in clad coins (cleaned up) from metal detecting, in my bag, so I could get over to the bank and roll them and cash them in.

I'm just not going to have time to do it, but I still plan (immediately following work) on going to the coin shop this afternoon to pick up some Silver Eagles and large cents.

I was sitting here lamenting that I wasn't going to be able to convert them to something more spendable, and a BRILLIANT, but HORRIBLE idea popped into my head.

I took my bags over to the vending machine, and I put in four quarters. I pushed the "X" button on the change return, and out popped a $1 gold dollar.

Yeah... I did that.

I put in $64 in about 8 minutes and pushed the X everytime I hit a buck.

I KNOW I can count out $60 in $ coins and they'll take them at the coin shop (heck, 5 of them are Susan B's!)... Doing that with quarters and dimes? Nah. :)

I'll finish up the rest of the dimes and nickels (about $15 worth) at lunch. In the meantime, I have three nice stacks of gold dollars on my desk.

A couple of things...

1) I PITY the person who comes in thinking to buy a candy bar with a $20 and they get back $19 in quarters. (That's horrible, but funny, too!)
2) What in the world with the vending guy think? "What the?... " when there's a full box of quarters, but no product missing. And all the quarters look like they've been sitting at the bottom of a well for a decade!

Better than a coin star, in my book. Doesn't take 10.9%. :)

I have guilt, but I also have $64 in dollar coins!

[Edit] Update. Finished the dimes and nickels in another machine. I now no longer have guilt. The first machine ate $0.50. So... the vendor made a little money, and I didn't waste gasoline driving to the bank. Win-win.

Came out at exactly $75 (minus the reject pile which I'll spend in the cafeteria on a soda tomorrow morning).

Skippy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This reminded me of something that happened at work a few years back. I was at the vending machine getting a cup of coffee when a fellow worker came in and approached the change machine to break a dollar bill. A couple seconds later the guy say to me, this change machine gave me back $1.50 for $1! Wow I said, wonder if it would do it again, he pulls out another $1 and sure enough he gets back $1.50! He spends every dollar bill he has and then says to me, "I'm running across the street to the bank to get more ones!"
I knew it was a wrong thing to do so I can honestly say that I kept my bills in my pocket, but I must confess that it felt a little good to see someone getting back at "The man" LOL!
I left to return to my work area but seen the guy at the time clock line later that day and he said he emptied it right out and showed me his lunch box full of quarters! said he made over $50!

TH... This is what is meant by "stealing".... and it is.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referring to the original post..

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can imagine the karma one might get from participating in this type of scheme. Don't be surprised when you find a Ten dollar Bill in your wallet held together by scotch tape that someone passed off to you.

LOL. Oh come on now, is changing coins REALLY a moral issue? If I went to 15 different cashiers and asked them to take $2 in quarters and give me dollars, nobody would think twice. The fact I did it on my own is NOT a drag-inducing Kharmic suck-box of doom. (yeah, that's really a thing).

But then again, the next "held together with tape" 10 dollar bill I get, I'll remember this and laugh. :)

EDIT
Exactly! No such a horrible act at all.

AHHHH!!! It all becomes clear. Mea Culpa. I misunderstood. :)

Skippy

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This reminded me of something that happened at work a few years back. I was at the vending machine getting a cup of coffee when a fellow worker came in and approached the change machine to break a dollar bill. A couple seconds later the guy say to me, this change machine gave me back $1.50 for $1! Wow I said, wonder if it would do it again, he pulls out another $1 and sure enough he gets back $1.50! He spends every dollar bill he has and then says to me, "I'm running across the street to the bank to get more ones!"
I knew it was a wrong thing to do so I can honestly say that I kept my bills in my pocket, but I must confess that it felt a little good to see someone getting back at "The man" LOL!
I left to return to my work area but seen the guy at the time clock line later that day and he said he emptied it right out and showed me his lunch box full of quarters! said he made over $50!

Good for you to keep your integrity. I don't mind making change, but stealing is well... STEALING! It's not a vegas slot machine!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Witty View Post
It's still 10 dollars.
No it's not..... I know what he means!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm trying to figure this one out. Care to explain? Tape doesn't reduce the value of money. In fact, you can simply exchange it for 10 gold dollars at my vending machine. *cracks up*

-Skippy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's still 10 dollars.

Ok, I'm trying to figure this one out. Care to explain? Tape doesn't reduce the value of money. In fact, you can simply exchange it for 10 gold dollars at my vending machine. *cracks up*

-Skippy
Error was mine, my comment was directed at original post.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey if the mint put it out there I expect the same value in my money, nothing less nothing more!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's still 10 dollars.

Ok, I'm trying to figure this one out. Care to explain? Tape doesn't reduce the value of money. -Skippy

Your absolutely right Skippy. Nor... does tape increase the value of money... hint. :tongue3:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey if the mint put it out there I expect the same value in my money, nothing less nothing more!

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT and I agree 100% but there are asses out there with tape twisting this mentality. I heard about this 40 years ago and I pray it's not still going on.

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this the counterfeiting method where people tape portions of a 10, for example, onto a 1, to make it look like a $10 bill?

I used to work for a bank, and it was AMAZING the things people would do to steal.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT and I agree 100% but there are asses out there with tape twisting this mentality. I heard about this 40 years ago and I pray it's not still going on.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to try this. Those Coin Star machines are a rip! and the banks won't take rolled coins anymore......they have to run them through the counting machines and often have a surcharge for doing so! If I can get a dollar coin for 4 quarters, I'll stand there all day feeding quarters to a machine. I wonder if it will work with smaller change totaling a dollar? I'll sure try it and post back.
Can't comment on funny or not, just that I think it is a good idea. I'm sure the cat that owns the machine wouldn't find any humor in it!!

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a bit surprised to see this pop back up to the top of the list, but in the end, I'm happy to continue the conversation. For some folks, this is "money laundering," and dirty. I personally don't care. It's no worse than coin roll hunting (costing the tellers time and the bank transaction costs). Just a different way of doing it.

I've also discovered it's a fun way to explore finding the gold dollars that are rare. Coin roll hunting indeed. :)

On last tip: I've learned that it's FAR better for me to simply take in the handful of change I find from the last outing and plop them in, than it is to do a jar, Like I did the first time. I only do 3-6 dollars this way, and toss the gold coins into my backpack for deposit at the bank on the way home. Takes 45 seconds to do, on the way past the machine, and I put the gold dollars into my desk drawer at my cube (and take them home at the end of the day).

It kind of drives my wife a bit nuts to see $8 -$12 deposits going into the bank, and $5.36 and $2.68 and $.99 paypal withdrawals as I use the money to buy old coins for my collection, but for me it's converting clad to fun finds. This week alone, I've picked up 4 half dimes, a trime, a 3 cent nickel and a 2 cent piece from my clad deposits. VERY fun to see those come into the mail! It may not be "dirt fishing," but if clad coins are lemons, I'm making lemonade!

Occasionally, I'll just pick a product from the vending machine, too, as a thanks. Win win. I also give out the gold dollars to my coworker's kids when they come in to spend in the machines. All in all, I've contributed a decent amount to those vending machines. I'm not just a mooch. :)

-Skippy

I have to try this. Those Coin Star machines are a rip! and the banks won't take rolled coins anymore......they have to run them through the counting machines and often have a surcharge for doing so! If I can get a dollar coin for 4 quarters, I'll stand there all day feeding quarters to a machine. I wonder if it will work with smaller change totaling a dollar? I'll sure try it and post back.
Can't comment on funny or not, just that I think it is a good idea. I'm sure the cat that owns the machine wouldn't find any humor in it!!

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you got "sand bagged" by Sandbagger! Now "That there's funny right there".

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you got "sand bagged" by Sandbagger! Now "That there's funny right there".
Nah. It IS horrible from certain perspectives. It's why I noted it in the title of the thread.

Some folks look at metal detectorists as "horrible," as well. There's two ends to every donkey, and people standing on either end can BOTH be correct with regard to their perspective. :)

Sandbagger is spot on, given the perspective. I cannot fault that. :)

Skippy

OP
OP
S

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally I'd rather see more of the dollar coins in circulation

Ooooh.. I would, too! I LOVE to find dropped dollar coins. Everytime I find one (5 now total for the year), instantly popping into my head is "Sure beats digging 100 pennies! Woot!"

They're fun finds. Europe must be blast with all those euro coins...

Skippy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread