Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do you mean getting a trencher and simply uplifting all the dirt?

Skippy

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mean basically flipping the sod up on about a 1x2' area, digging down about a foot, and scanning the dirt that comes out of the hole. Kind of like digging a giant plug, but no heavy equipment.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes. I have done my own "urban demolition" scrapes before. Gone to an old-town area where trash or iron or something is blanketing the top, and flat-shoveled down a table sized area down to 4 or 5" deep. Stop, detect, repeat.

Another time an 1860s park got rototilled , to where the entire surface was jumbled fluffy turf/sod. But since all the top-soil was still in place, it was still a mess of zinc, tabs, clad, wino-caps, etc... So since everything was loose anyhow, I shoveled all the soil back to about 6" deep, in an area the size of a kitchen table . Stop, detect, and repeat as necessary. Was able to get old silver doing that. But ...sheesk ....... talk about back-breaking work ! haha

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
at that point might as well use a sifter.I have and it can be an amazing method in highly concentrated areas

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have used this technique before, usually next to a cellar hole, and I almost always find a bunch of interesting stuff, but I haven't used a sifter yet and I'm anxious to give it a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread