MY GARRETT PRO-POINTER FREAKED OUT! ANY IDEAS WHY?

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garrett pro-pointer is about a month old, ordered from KellyCo. Recently while hunting, I was using it and suddenly it went into some kind of overdrive fit, making a very busy sounding noise. I cut it off, then back on, and it continued making the weird noise. I gave it a rest for about 10 minutes, then turned it on again. It was fine for a few seconds, then went into its overdrive mode again. So I checked the battery, turned it around just in case, then turned it back on. Nothing (which I expected, as the battery was reversed). When I turned the battery the correct way, this time I turned it on-nothing. Completely powerless. Been that way since this afternoon..
Any ideas on why it did this? Is it toast now? Is KellyCo reasonable if I have to send it back for repairs??? Any info is appreciated..Thanks in advance...

Upvote 0

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you tried putting a new battery in it? That's where I would start and go from there.

OP
OP
O

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll try that, but have a feeling since the pointer was going into overdrive, it had plenty of juice..

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Low power can cause machines to do some weird stuff. I've also heard that the batteries that come with those pinpointers are junk and don't last long. I would start there just to eliminate the possibility then if the problem persist's contact the manufacturer. Did you check the battery with a volt meter?

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not supposed to use Duracell copper top batteries either . That's what Garrett told me. They are slightly longer and smash the pad in the end cap.Then when you put non copper tops in them they fit loose

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you register it for the warranty on the garrett website? Mine freaked out on me after just a couple months. I called Garrett and they had me send it to them and they just replaced it, no questions asked. try calling them.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That is exactly what both of mine do when the battery is spent.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine does it with a new battery. I have to bang it on something hard and it will work for a while. I don't use it anymore. It is a loaner for when I detect with someone who does not have one.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto, in my experience it's always the battery, also fold up a small piece of paper and put it behind the battery in the end cap to snug it up.

Digging Deeper

Jan 12, 2013
Mississippi Gulf Ciast
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i D2 & 5.3
Garrett AT Pro stock
Bounty Hunter 505
Cheap UW PI
Whites TRX
Garrett Pro pointer
Vibra-Quatic 2
I had to take mine apart and isolate the three wires to the coil. Saw it on YouTube and it worked. Just a good back up, now I use a Whites TRX.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Low power can cause machines to do some weird stuff. I've also heard that the batteries that come with those pinpointers are junk and don't last long. I would start there just to eliminate the possibility then if the problem persist's contact the manufacturer. Did you check the battery with a volt meter?
I've had quite a few strange results with low batteries being the cause. As to your pinpointer, I put a quarter under the cap of mine when it became goosey and the extra pressure on the battery cleared the problem up and haven't had it since.
luvsdux

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just going to say, I tried everything from putting several types of brand new batteries to putting the quarter in the cap. Nothing fixed the problem till I sent it in and Garrett replaced the GPP. I'm not saying it won't fix yours, just saying it did nothing for mine. I will add that smacking it on the ground did fix it, for a short time.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cheaper batteries sometimes don't make a Good Contact Just fold a Small paper two times and Place it in the End of the Battery Before tightening on the Cap BUT Try replacing the Battery First HH Chug

OP
OP
O

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay- It was the battery. What was throwing me was the fact that the battery caused the pointer to go into overdrive. I would've thought an almost spent battery would be sluggish. Anyway, problem solved. Thanks to everyone!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found the problem! Mine freaked me out when the battery first went, it wold not shut up!
If you press too hard on the tip it will say ouch! Once in while too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread