research tips for newbies

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
i was wondering if anyone can give me tips on researching areas,
like where are the best places to look for records or maps of old homesteads ect. i would like to find more old stuff in my area but seems that everthing on the web leads to a dead end and not much info is given
if you could give me tips on where to start and what to look for i would really appriciate it
thanks in advance

Attachments

• 6-12 good stuff.JPG
    6-12 good stuff.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 40
  • forgeignspill.JPG
    forgeignspill.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 45
  • arrowhead.JPG
    arrowhead.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 32
  • button n tag.JPG
    button n tag.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 28
  • lock bell.JPG
    lock bell.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 38
  • things6-12.JPG
    things6-12.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 47
  • pin sides.JPG
    pin sides.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 38
  • metalcar.JPG
    metalcar.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
thanks everyone for all your great information, im gonna head out these weekends to a couple old libraries and gets some maps and stuff so i can get started, hopefully ill have my MD in a month and already have some places to start out
when i first get my MD are there any exercises i should do to get me familar with all the settings, i see some bury coins and test that way
any other suggestions.
i think all those people who bash MD should come to this forum , i bet in a day they would be searching the web pricing metal detectors
this site really gets you into the hobby, thanks again everyone for the info
keep posting if you have anymore

S

srdraftcad

Chaos

Feel free to send me a PM for any question you have in concern to this hobby. Again "DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO CHIZ"

Sincer.

srdraftcad

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
ok... What I did for my kids when they first started is to get a penny, nickle, dime, quarter, pulltab and anything else you might want to see how the detector reacts. I cleaned out a 4x4 area and burried each of them at known depths to let them see how the detecor reacts to each. this is good to play with settings on the detector too for the best performance.

When I started out, I took old rulers and taped coins and such on the bottom. Then, depending on the length which I had several, would push that into the ground. This also helped with the signals and with pinpointing.

The one thing you want ot do also is put several different together to see what masks what. There have been plenty of times where JD and myself found things that were masked by Steel or iron. Hope this helps some!

HH
Chiz
8)

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
thanks

orien, lowbatts: thanks. sometimes there are those that have all the answers. but when we look closer we find that, if you donot check it out you are playing into there hands. you must remember that all sections of life have this type of responce. if you need help, all i can give you is from my personal experience. boomer

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Boomer I wish I had half the answers some folks do. If I did I'd spend more time actually digging and less time typing!

A

alexcarioca

Question from a newbie:

I'm a diver and now I'm getting the "TR FEVER" so I'm looking for a MD that can operate well underwater and serve above water as well prospecting in the sand beach.

Thanks,

Alex

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey soon-to-be treasure hunter, I have a Fisher CZ20. Go to www.fisherlab.com and check the specs. I use it wading and diving in the rivers/lakes in Illinois. Also use it when I get into rugged terrain, because it is very durable, easy to operate and can be belt or chest mounted too.

Check out the websites for Tesoro, Minelab, Whites. I think these are the big four for U/W machines. Keep in mind ease of use and weight, battery life and type, etc.. Then see if you can find someone nearby who uses each or at least some of the machines and ask them. I am a Fisher fan myself but there are many different machine users here on the forum. I can outhunt any one of them with my machine on any given day, of course, they can do likewise to me. It is as much technique and art as it is discipline and equipment. Now go get it & get going!

K

KAA

Go to the basement of a county courthouse, unbelievable amount of archived information, land, people, court records/crime.

One puzzle I am working on was a bank robbery in North Central Texas in 1886. One morning three outlaws "stole" $2000 in coin from the bank, by dark all but one was dead. They only had $7.88 on them when the lawmen recovered the bodies. The case against the temporary survivor is full of clues.

Cladius

Mar 8, 2004
Hey Chiz I thought we saw the end of that guy! I aways found his fiction very entertaining though. You may also MD flood controll sites in many states. I have never been denied access at least to part of a park being a beach -boat launch-picnic area etc. Keep swinging. Cladius.

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
Hey Cladios... Without entertainment, what would we all do? LOL... just like in every forum, you have the same people with different names answering themselves... Just keep digging and having fun!!!

8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions